Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2006 8:24:58 PM EDT

I FINALLY got ahold of one for my collection. Among other things I collect beer cans.

This is a Schaefer beer can from WWII. During the war breweries suspended civilian production of beer cans (until 1947) and made them soley for the military. These special cans were painted OD green and black so they wouldn't reflect in the light and put military personel at risk (just like ration cans were OD green).

And depsite being produced in the millions these are exceptionally rare as the vast majority ended up being bulldozed into the dirt with the rest of the garbage in the military dumps. The few that survived seem to mostly be those who were found interesting enough by a veteran for him to keep it and bring it home, something that didn't happen too often.

As I collect items from WWI and WWII this is a extra bonus.

Now if only I could complete that set of 007 cans.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:28:16 PM EDT
[#1]
My father drank a few of those during WW2. USN
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:26:39 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
My father drank a few of those during WW2. USN

Too bad he didn't ship home a box of empties. Seen them go for more than $200.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:27:33 AM EDT
[#3]
On a related note, I've got Coca-Cola cans from the '80s and '90s.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:37:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I'll ask my Dad.Lord only knows how many beers he's downed since then.
He does have a Schaefer bar light in the basement.Been there since I can remember (60s).

On a related note.Bud in 10 oz cans is still a HUGE seller here in Southern MD.I was told that during the war, to keep the price at a quarter, AB went to 10 oz cans.
Seems they still produce them,and that they sell well in S MD,parts of Texas,and one other market.

Made a beer run for an old buddy a while back.He told me to make sure they were 10 ouncers.I told him he'd get more for his money with 12s.He said,"Nah.Can't drink as many".
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:39:47 AM EDT
[#5]
How Many WWII Vets Remember These...?  

Unfortunately, fewer and fewer every day.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:40:16 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
img133.imageshack.us/img133/9599/schf5wz.jpg

I FINALLY got ahold of one for my collection. Among other things I collect beer cans.

This is a Schaefer beer can from WWII. During the war breweries suspended civilian production of beer cans (until 1947) and made them soley for the military. These special cans were painted OD green and black so they wouldn't reflect in the light and put military personel at risk (just like ration cans were OD green).

And depsite being produced in the millions these are exceptionally rare as the vast majority ended up being bulldozed into the dirt with the rest of the garbage in the military dumps. The few that survived seem to mostly be those who were found interesting enough by a veteran for him to keep it and bring it home, something that didn't happen too often.

As I collect items from WWI and WWII this is a extra bonus.

Now if only I could complete that set of 007 cans.

Where was this brewed?  Man, that is really neat, an OD can.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:49:39 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Where was this brewed?  Man, that is really neat, an OD can.

PA and MD Schaefer breweries. 35 larger breweries spread around the country were chosen to can beer for the military.

Here's an ebay listing for a Olive Drab Lucky Lager Flat Top WWII

The buy it now price is $350.00
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:53:10 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm suprised they had "light" beer back then.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:54:09 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I'm suprised they had "light" beer back then.

Our guys found out about it in France in WWI.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:02:26 AM EDT
[#10]
I thought MD, Baltimore to be exact.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:09:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Steyr, if you are in to WWII you need to make plans now to be in Reading PA the first weekend in June. Every year the Mid Atlantic Air Museum puts on the best WWII show in the nation, possibly the world!

It is a combination airshow, reenacment, living history show, military vehicle show, and WWII collectable flea market!

www.maam.org/maamwwii.html

And the best part of all is the WWII vets who come, both famous and unknown, to share thier stories. We only have a few years left with them.

I sell WWII militaria, so it is a work trip for me, but well worth the trip for anyone interested in the era! I will probably still be on terminal leave from my deployment but I missed last year and have no intention of missing this year!

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:13:47 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

When you are around something day in and day out, you don't think twice about that item being worth something someday. Look at how some people in the SF go crazy over a lowly MRE, and thats something still in production, let alone 60 years removed in history.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:14:25 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I thought MD, Baltimore to be exact.  

Yes and there is a PA brewery.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:18:05 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When you are around something day in and day out, you don't think twice about that item being worth something someday. Look at how some people in the SF go crazy over a lowly MRE, and thats something still in production, let alone 60 years removed in history.

Yes, I noted how unlikely that was in my original post. I'm just saying it's too bad.

Funny how coveted items during the war (such as Lugers) have maintained "realistic" values but things like a beer can (which were basically garbage) can be worth so much more than they should.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:39:15 AM EDT
[#15]
That's neat. Now all you need is one of those OD Lucky Strike cigarette packs.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:36:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Those GI beers are evil!  They resulted in the Baby Boom.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:48:09 AM EDT
[#17]
What did it cost you?

I'd like to see more pictures of your WW1/WW2 collections.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:58:51 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Steyr, if you are in to WWII you need to make plans now to be in Reading PA the first weekend in June. Every year the Mid Atlantic Air Museum puts on the best WWII show in the nation, possibly the world!

It is a combination airshow, reenacment, living history show, military vehicle show, and WWII collectable flea market!

www.maam.org/maamwwii.html

www.maam.org/wwii/photos/aircraft/ww2_ac-(224).jpg
www.maam.org/wwii/photos/aircraft/ww2_ac-(176).jpg
www.maam.org/wwii/photos/aircraft/ww2_ac-(209).jpg
www.maam.org/wwii/photos/reenactor/ww2_reen-(14).jpg
www.maam.org/wwii/photos/reenactor/ww2_reen-(51).jpg

www.maam.org/wwii/photos/vehicles/ww2_veh-(19).jpg
www.maam.org/wwii/photos/village/ww2_vil-(72).jpg
www.maam.org/wwii/photos/village/ww2_vil-(85).jpg
www.maam.org/wwii/photos/reenactor/ww2_reen-(4).jpg
www.maam.org/wwii/photos/reenactor/ww2_reen-(56).jpg

And the best part of all is the WWII vets who come, both famous and unknown, to share thier stories. We only have a few years left with them.

www.maam.org/wwii/photos/guests/ww2_spl-(21).jpg
www.maam.org/wwii/photos/guests/ww2_spl-(1).jpg
www.maam.org/wwii/photos/guests/ww2_spl-(44).jpg
www.maam.org/wwii/photos/guests/ww2_spl-(41).jpg

I sell WWII militaria, so it is a work trip for me, but well worth the trip for anyone interested in the era! I will probably still be on terminal leave from my deployment but I missed last year and have no intention of missing this year!

What aircraft is that?
It's right on the tip of my tongue.

ETA, Avenger?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:03:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Yup. My grandfather has the tailhook from an Avenger he crashed mounted above his fireplace. Loves to tell the story.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top