Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2006 6:32:49 PM EDT
Hey there, Im a 15Y finishing up my tour in korea, and assuming hell doesn't freeze over, Ft.Bragg is my next duty station.  This will be my first state side duty station, and Im really looking foward to being in a unit of action.  But having said all that, I still have alot of unanswered questions regarding bragg, as none of the soldiers here have been back in several years.

For instance, can lower enlisted drive cars? What are the cool places to check outside of post? are you guys on lockdown all the time? how often do the units "go to the field" (and by field, I mean actually convoying or flying to a field site, and living in the boonies)? We did 15 this last year.

Having been in lockdown for the first 1.8 years of my army carrer( 9 weeks basic, 29 weeks ait, 52 weeks korea) Im looking foward to being able to actually have a life, and to train with the best.

Any info is appreciated.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:37:26 PM EDT
[#1]
if you aint airborne you aint shit.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:37:31 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Hey there, Im a 15Y finishing up my tour in korea, and assuming hell doesn't freeze over, Ft.Bragg is my next duty station.  This will be my first state side duty station, and Im really looking foward to being in a unit of action.  But having said all that, I still have alot of unanswered questions regarding bragg, as none of the soldiers here have been back in several years.

For instance, can lower enlisted drive cars? What are the cool places to check outside of post? are you guys on lockdown all the time? how often do the units "go to the field" (and by field, I mean actually convoying or flying to a field site, and living in the boonies)? We did 15 this last year.

Having been in lockdown for the first 1.8 years of my army carrer( 9 weeks basic, 29 weeks ait, 52 weeks korea) Im looking foward to being able to actually have a life, and to train with the best.

Any info is appreciated.

I was there from 1991-1993 (11b).

Anyone can have a POV. The place to go used to be Ricks Lounge, but they leveled it to make a new police plaza. They relocated it and renamed it Mickey's Lounge. Not sure what it is now.

Not sure about lockdown since 9/11. We used to get DRF-1 alot (2 hour recall).

Going to the field depends on your commander. When I first got there it was broken into 6 week blocks (6 weeks training, 6 weeks support, six weeks DRF-1).
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:38:44 PM EDT
[#3]
It is close to Camp Lejeune and the Marines are close by.

Thats all I know.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:39:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Any info is appreciated.

Check out the Hometown Forums, and post up in the Carolinas section.

My brother was stationed there for a couple of months befor going to Iraq.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:40:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Thats all I know.

Yep.  You should feel safe at Ft. Bragg  for just that reason.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:45:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats all I know.

How do you figure? The Marines are too busy taking all our used, unwanted equipment and carting it back for their own use.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:53:12 PM EDT
[#7]
When it came to going to clubs and such, most of us used to go up to Raliegh and go to the college clubs up there.

If you are attached to one of the infantry battalions in the 82nd you can rest assure that you're ass will be out in the field a good bit of the time (if not deployed).  You'll love Area J and the NTA.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:57:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats all I know.

How do you figure? The Marines are too busy taking all our used, unwanted equipment and carting it back for their own use.

They dont need that brand-new fancy equipment that you guys get to get the job done - The Marines can do twice the job with half the equipment.   Its a fact, they can't help it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:08:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats all I know.

They dont need that brand-new fancy equipment that you guys get to get the job done - The Marines can do twice the job with half the equipment.   Its a fact, they can't help it.

That's rich.  

They had to come up with a new AAV because The Army kept having to save their asses with Bradleys and now they're gonna pop for $70 million abortions so they can overfly the beach to catch up to The Army.  

And now they're pretending to be SOF playas.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:08:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Fayette-nam is an armpit.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:10:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Fort Bragg is in NC.  That's all I know.  

Thank you for your Millitary Service.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:16:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:17:10 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats all I know.

That's rich.  

They had to come up with a new AAV because The Army kept having to save their asses with Bradleys and now they're gonna pop for $70 million abortions so they can overfly the beach to catch up to The Army.  

What are you talkin about?  The Marines are the original Special Ops, they just slowed down a little to let y'all catch up
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:23:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Fayette-nam is an armpit.

- Its hell of a lot better than places like Jacksonville. After being to other places, Fayetteville isnt too bad
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:17:22 PM EDT
[#15]
what im interested to know, is Fayetteville is better than angjung-ri
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:21:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Their drop zones suck, and have small trees on them.

Was knocked the f*&k out and dragged though said trees

Other than that it is cool
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:25:15 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats all I know.

That's rich.  

What are you talkin about?  The Marines are the original Special Ops, they just slowed down a little to let y'all catch up

Nothing like a good dick measuring contest.....

you boys keep pissing back and forth while the AF fights the war.  You can come play cleanup like you're so good at doing anyway!

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:33:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Ricks lounge, Hay street, hadn't thought about those places in years.

first went to Fayetteville in about 79-80 you wouldn't know it now HUGE place.
not as many pawn shops now, but no shortage. Check out Jim's gun shop on Yadkin road. That guy has everything.

I suppose chicken road is still on Bragg.
A lot of the base was closed to the public after 9/11

They finally burned down the "temporary" barracks near smoke bomb hill that were built in 41 and used till  the late 90's

NOI
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:38:27 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thats all I know.

That's rich.  

What are you talkin about?  The Marines are the original Special OpsEDS, they just slowed down a little to let y'all their small brains catch up

ETS'd from there in '87 Wasn't too bad if you knew where to hang out.  Glad to hear Ricks lounge got parking lotted.  If you like Japanese food, there was a restaurant in town called Tai-Sho.  It was awesome.  One of the top 3 I have found in the US.  Don't go swimming in McKeller, you will  come out dark brown (learned that when I did the 82nd triathlon).  The long street run is fun it is only 20 miles long....

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:48:14 PM EDT
[#20]

Nothing like a good dick measuring contest.....

you boys keep pissing back and forth while the AF fights the war.  You can come play cleanup like you're so good at doing anyway!

Wow, our chauffeurs are getting in on this thread too. Outstanding.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:00:16 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

* snip*

Anyone can have a POV. The place to go used to be Ricks Lounge, but they leveled it to make a new police plaza. They relocated it and renamed it Mickey's Lounge. Not sure what it is now.

Going to the field depends on your commander. When I first got there it was broken into 6 week blocks (6 weeks training, 6 weeks support, six weeks DRF-1).

The hell you say!  

I was there from 1992-1993  A co 2/505.  

Where were you, brother??  
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:05:35 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

You need the Air Force like you need a pair of pants.  Without us, who would cover your ass?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:08:01 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You need the Air Force like you need a pair of pants.  Without us, who would cover your ass?

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:36:02 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+

Hey Napoleon, where are you at in FL?  I PCS to Tyndall in April.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:47:10 AM EDT
[#25]
FayetteNam!

Here is what you must do:

1. Go to Zorbas Gyro On A Spit (700 N Reilly Rd).

2. Ignore the gyros - order chicken cheese spaghetti.

3. Order new and bigger pants.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 4:00:27 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

* snip*

The hell you say!  

I was there from 1992-1993  A co 2/505.  

Where were you, brother??  

C-1/505
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:55:24 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Certainly! Not to mention that it is in the States and not in the ROK!
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:17:26 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
When it came to going to clubs and such, most of us used to go up to Raliegh and go to the college clubs up there.

If you are attached to one of the infantry battalions in the 82nd you can rest assure that you're ass will be out in the field a good bit of the time (if not deployed).  You'll love Area J and the NTA.

OMG area J,, LOL, we used to ride MX there all the time! Thanx for the mems!

I wasnt stationed there, but I stayed at the Holiday Inn last..... J/k
I had a few buddies there, they were always in the field, always on 2 hour recall, and always on CQ 'cause some dumbass was always losing some sort of weapon . Hell I got locked in for 16 hours by my friends TOP , cause I was there when a bayonett came up missing, no I did not take it.
Holy cow, I remember that TOP liked my civi butt for some reason as he was always treating me like one of his troops, push ups, head detail etc.... Funny as shit. One day he pulls me in to his office/quarters and gives me a big ol lecture on why I NEED to enlist, after an hour of listening to him, I laughed "Get my ears past MEPS and I will" I have bad hearing. End of discusion, but not the head detail

Its a cool place for being ARMY LOL, Cherry Point and Lejune are close by incase you guys get introuble ( as stated above)

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:35:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Stationed there from 74-78. WW-II era wood barracks in Old Divison area right across from the parade ground and about a mile from the take-off runway at Pope AFB.

Don't know what it's like now, but the chow sucked.

If you're going to eat on base I'd recommend the SF mess hall located near the JFK Center... the food was 10 times better than the usual grunt mess halls. Probably because of the large number of VIPs/senior officers/foreign officers/intelligence types that were in the area.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:52:12 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Hey Napoleon, where are you at in FL?  I PCS to Tyndall in April.

ROTC at U Miami, then to UPT at a as yet unknown location.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:50:14 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Hey is a guy named  Bong and his wife still running a bar called the wall out in the ville?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:06:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:25:12 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Is the Flaming Mug still right off of Yadkin? There was a group called Lazer that played there on Saturday nights that was pretty damn good. We would head there for BSing around on the weekends.

There was a hobby shop just off post on Yadkin also that sold the prints by the SF guy that did them as a sideline. Wish I could remember his name. I had a few of them. One of my favorites was the HALO jumper with a claymore strapped to his helmet and he was diving towards a Mig25 and he had the clacker in his hand.

Bought my first FAL at Jims in '84 I think it was. My first AUG for $890 too.

I passed through HIms back in 1986 and was astounded by the quantity of Class III that guy had.  M60s and AUGs seemed to be the most popular.

I only I knew then what I know now ....  
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 3:08:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Aaaah...........Fort Bragg..........

You're gonna love the chiggers, ticks, and poison oak..........

Just hasn't been the same since they cleaned up Hayes Street
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top