Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2006 5:55:49 PM EDT
Sorry for the long post...

Had a half day of school and it was a nice day( we usally go on crappy days because it isnt busy), so me and a buddy decided we'd go try my mauser and his mosin out.

Get there, place is farily busy, nothing unusal it was a friday. Some of them i assume were college kids about 7 of them were out there with there guns shooting a big purple teddy bear about 25 yards out,  on the 100 yard range. Some guy sighting in his gun at the 60 and a couple of shooters with a AR10 and m1 carbine on the 25, the only space that was empty was next to them.

Loaded up our guns expecting to have our shoulders beat to death by our guns, but was pleasently suprized at how well we could take the recoil from them. After my first shot i work the action on my mauser and the damn casing goes flying accross the other guys table and flys right in front of his face. I said i was sorry and that i didnt think it would throw the brass that far. he was cool about it and i continued to shoot.

Eventually some people left at the 60 yard so i decided to move there while it was open. When i move over i noticed one of the college kids with a mini 14 using his scope rings as a sight, cycling the action like it was a single shot. It was possible that his gun was just failing to cycle because  i didnt see any brass fly after he shot,only when he manually opereated it,  but still i woudnt shoot a gun if it had a problem like that.

So me and my buddy continue to shoot our guns until finally everybody lays off for a minute, The guy next to us starts up a conversation about our guns and my friend tells him that his gun is a mosin and then the guy comments about the target the college kids had and then continues to act like the teddy bear thats been shot. So im thinking this guy is weird as hell so im gonna go find some targets for us to shoot at.

So we can put some targets up. Hurry down range and find anything i can use as a target, mostly clays people had failed to break.

So we burn up the rest of our ammo between my mauser, 700 and some 22 and my friends mosin and mini 30, all guns shot great but i was kind of annoyed that the college kids were hoging the 100 yard and only shooting their bear at 25, though i think some actually had targets at the full 100, so i guess I cant really be annoyed.

Then we proceed to pack up the stuff and go back to the car and then clean up the mauser, mosin, and 700 because all the ammo we were shooting was corrosive.

Then we start driving back stop to get a soda and then get back on the road and are about to get on the highway, but we have to cross a intersection with no stop signs for the traffic that is driving perpinducalr to the road we are on. Friend was driving and his car a 94 Tempo sits fairly low and there is a over pass to the left of us with high concrete walls and we are on a hill making it very diffcult to see if a cars are coming.

Come to a stop because our way does have stop signs and wait for a couple cars to go by and then a big concrete truck comes driving up from the left and turns onto the road we are on. It looks clear at this point, besides a car coming from the right but there was plenty of time to make it accross. So my friend goes and  right in the middle of the intersection this silver car comes flying accross the bridge and t-bones us right in my friends driver side door.  

First time  I have ever been in accident. We are cursing up a storm and im trying to get my friend to pull over to the shoulder on the on ramp, someone honks their horn but im not sure who did it.  

So we get out Friend cant get out of his door so he gets out of passenger side.  Girl in the car that hit us gets out and her boyfriend the driver does too.  The girl starts yelling at us "Dont you fuckers stop at the stop sign!" I ignored her and ask if everybody was ok. Everybody was out of the cars walking around so everybody was infact ok.  Girl gets on the phone and calls someone, girls boyfriend calls cops and my friend calls his dad to ask what to do.

Check out the damage, our cars driver side door is wasted and the front of the girls car has a couple of dents and some of our paint on it.

I could see why the girl was pissed, Her mazda Protoge was brand new. I was impressed at how well it held up.  The boyfriend was cool, handled the situation well he looked alot at the big dent in  the side of the tempo.

Cop comes, ask the standard anybody hurt, yada yada, what happened. (I thought i heard the boy say he didnt have his license on him, but the cop asked him if he was a legal driver so of course he said yes ) Cop asked why we were out here and friend stated we were at the shooting range and the the cop ask us if we have any weapons on us and we say no we have a few rifles in the trunk and thats it. Traded information and continued on our way.

Im not sure if they were speeding or not. As i said we could not see them besides the 1 second before they hit us. As far as i can tell it is not anbodys fault, just really bad timing.

Im just glad no one was hurt.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:00:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Another gun related accident.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:48:42 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Another gun related accident.

How so?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:55:09 PM EDT
[#3]
You had guns in the car right?  IT WAS THE GUNS!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:55:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I think he is Fing with you
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:55:46 PM EDT
[#5]
if it werent for the guns, everyone would have survived.

at least thats how the antis see it.

all jokes aside, glad everyone is ok, and im jealous you got to go shooting and i didnt.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:02:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
if it werent for the guns, everyone would have survived.

at least thats how the antis see it.

Seriously, they do. If someone is killed in their home, and there was a gun in the home (even a rusted out .22 in the attic) its a death caused by the gun in the home.

Glad everyone is okay, that could have been a real bad accident.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:13:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah the girl didnt say much after she found out we had guns, when she was leaving my friend said to her "In all fairness i think you won" pointing to his door. She just replied "idiot"
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:29:02 PM EDT
[#8]
*clears throat*

The accident was Bush's Fault!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:34:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

As far as i can tell it is not anbodys fault, just really bad timing.

My GUESS is that it's technically you guys' fault, if you had a stop sign and pulled into traffic and got hit.  

Glad to hear nobody was hurt.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:48:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My GUESS is that it's technically you guys' fault, if you had a stop sign and pulled into traffic and got hit.  

You cannot see over the concrete barriers that go over the bridge, when you are in that small of a car and facing up hill. I was in a better vantage point and taller than my friend and did not see the car. Even if it was our fault they should have been able to stop in time because we could still see to a point where if they wernt driving so fast that we could see them and stop in time or they miss us all together.

So if i had to blame it on anybody i blame it on whoever didnt put stop sign there. All of the 4 way intercetions around here have 4 way stop lights, especailly the ones next to overpasses and exit and on ramps.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:56:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You cannot see over the concrete barriers that go over the bridge, when you are in that small of a car and facing up hill. I was in a better vantage point and taller than my friend and did not see the car. Even if it was our fault they should have been able to stop in time because we could still see to a point where if they wernt driving so fast that we could see them and stop in time or they miss us all together.

So if i had to blame it on anybody i blame it on whoever didnt put stop sign there. All of the 4 way intercetions around here have 4 way stop lights, especailly the ones next to overpasses and exit and on ramps.

Right - I'm only saying it might technically (as in, according to traffic law) be your fault - not at all saying that it's reasonable or fair, if it is.  But sometimes with things like stop signs, the rules can be a bitch.

Hopefully, it'll end up being a no-fault thing, and it won't be a big deal.  Fingers crossed.

Btw - where were you shooting?  Somewhere around St. Louis?  Just curious, since I'm in that area and have been looking for a different place to shoot.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:05:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you guys didn't see the other car until 1 second before impact then it was your friends fault.  I'm guessing that thousands of other cars safely negotiate the intersection everyday.  Hopefully you learned a little defensive driving from the incident.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:12:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Is MO a no-fault state?  If so, then it doesnt matter unless someone gets a ticket, then it's just an insurance thing.

Glad to hear nobody was hurt.  Be careful out there.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:12:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Right - I'm only saying it might technically (as in, according to traffic law) be your fault - not at all saying that it's reasonable or fair, if it is.  But sometimes with things like stop signs, the rules can be a bitch.

Hopefully, it'll end up being a no-fault thing, and it won't be a big deal.  Fingers crossed.

Btw - where were you shooting?  Somewhere around St. Louis?  Just curious, since I'm in that area and have been looking for a different place to shoot.

Well friend said he saw the cop ripped a pink ticket or some piece of paper off his clip board and give it to the girl , we never got anything like that.

As far as the shooting range goes we shoot at the public range at Riefschnider conservation area out by wright city on high way 70, rules arent strict, no autmatics and your suppose to use only paper tragets but i dont think they inforce that to much. Best part is its free
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:18:21 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

As far as the shooting range goes we shoot at the public range at Riefschnider conservation area out by wright city on high way 70, rules arent strict, no autmatics and your suppose to use only paper tragets but i dont think they inforce that to much. Best part is its free

Thanks!

I keep hearing about the range out by Wright City, but I've never made it out there (it's a bit of a hoof for me).

But the Dept of Conservation range off Hwy 44 - close to Eureka is a little frustrating at times, due to all the rule and limitations.  So maybe I'll make the trek out ot wright city some time.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:20:35 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you guys didn't see the other car until 1 second before impact then it was your friends fault.  I'm guessing that thousands of other cars safely negotiate the intersection everyday.  Hopefully you learned a little defensive driving from the incident.  

1 second of time before something bad happens can be fractions of a second in real time, time slows down when this stuff happens

Also, we dont know we dont live out there, i and my friend have always hated those intersections because you cant see. Just because we dont see accidents happen there doesnt mean they dont. The cop acted like hed been through this routine before, also said a couple of people were ejcted out of their cars underneath the same over pass a couple of weeks earlier, more or less saying that we are very lucky.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:24:20 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks!

I keep hearing about the range out by Wright City, but I've never made it out there (it's a bit of a hoof for me).

But the Dept of Conservation range off Hwy 44 - close to Eureka is a little frustrating at times, due to all the rule and limitations.  So maybe I'll make the trek out ot wright city some time.

Wait nevermind, it is interstate 70
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top