Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2006 3:51:47 PM EDT
Didn't the brits use them in Iraq a year ago?  any other uses?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:55:20 PM EDT
[#1]
OIF I, British Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. Previously the Brits did it in the Falklands.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:55:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I killed a Kangaroo Rat in Desert Storm with my bayonet. He tried getting into my pogie bait!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:17:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I think there's some unwrittern law in the British Army that states that there shall be at least one bayonet charge in every war.

Short length of the bullpup didn't seem to deter them, I note.

NTM
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:20:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought the Marines used them when clearing out the swamps to the South(?) of Baghdad early in the war?  I recall an article being posted at ArfCom.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:22:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:52:44 AM EDT
[#6]
OIF II during riots outside our FOB. They aren't scared of the rifle but someone can accidentally be pushed into a bayonet if the crowd surges. They give a bayoneted weapon a wide betrh.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:55:19 AM EDT
[#7]
It was common to see bayonets used to keep Iraqis away from our trucks during OIF I.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:14:54 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
OIF II during riots outside our FOB. They aren't scared of the rifle but someone can accidentally be pushed into a bayonet if the crowd surges. They give a bayoneted weapon a wide betrh.

From what I've read here a shotgun with a bayonet mounted would really clear the area.  IIRC somebody who was in country posted that pointing a M16/M4 at the locals doesn't get any respect but break out a shotgun & they scatter.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:28:00 AM EDT
[#9]
I knew a guy who used a fixed bayonet to finish off a coyote.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:07:44 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
OIF I, British Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. Previously the Brits did it in the Falklands.

Yup, they killed 35 Iraqis. Must have been one hell of a sight to see.

It begs for a bagpiper though, and I think WW2 was the last time a piper played under fire.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:08:34 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

From what I've read here a shotgun with a bayonet mounted would really clear the area.  IIRC somebody who was in country posted that pointing a M16/M4 at the locals doesn't get any respect but break out a shotgun & they scatter.

that would have been me, i carried a mossberg 500a with a sst590 adapter on it for my whole tour, the iraqis couldnt seem to get away from me quick enough.  (lol, see my avatar header)

kinda makes me wonder how a bayoneted 590 would have been recieved.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:11:58 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Interesting, they trust the Coalition forces not to shoot....
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:12:20 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Saddam's enforcers used shotguns as their primary weapon; as I understand it, as a result the Iraqis believe anyone with a shotgun will take care of business without hesitation.

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:14:44 AM EDT
[#14]
"hijack on"
Referenced to "Bull" Randleman in BoB, Is it true a bayonet mounted on a rifle will screw up your accuracy?
"hijack off"
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:16:49 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
"hijack on"
Referenced to "Bull" Randleman in BoB, Is it true a bayonet mounted on a rifle will screw up your accuracy?
"hijack off"

It will change the point of impact, but not necessarily make the rifle less accurate (as long as you account for the change).

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:20:33 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Same can be said for a pistol. The M16/M4 wouldn't scare them one bit, but point an M9 at an Iraqi (especially after ordering him to kneel) and they shit their pants... Probably because the pistol was the preferred weapon for Sadaam's executioners/enforcers.....
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:21:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:31:41 AM EDT
[#18]
i shoot skeet with my 590.... the range nazi got upset with me when i tried to shoot a round with my bayonet fixed
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top