Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2006 12:21:13 PM EDT
Reading February 27th National Review I came across this...

Ibn Warraq is the nom de plume of a Pakistani Muslim living in the United States and writing about Islam as he sees it. He has been circulating a passage from Beaumarchais's play in 1784, The Marriage of Figaro, adapted by Mozart for his opera. Beaumarchais might have been commenting on the Danish cartoons of today: "I cobble together a verse comedy about the customs of the harem, assuming that...I can say what I like about Mohammed without drawing hostile fire. Next thing, some envoy from God-knows-where turns up and complains that in my play I have offended the Ottoman empire, Persia, a large slice of the Indian peninsula, the whole of Egypt, and the kingdoms of Barca [Ethiopia], Tripoli, Tunisia, Algeria, and Morocco. And so my play sinks without a trace, all to placate a bunch of Muslim princes, not one of whom, as far as I know, can read but who beat the living daylights out of us and say we are 'Christian dogs.' Since they can't stop a man from thinking, they take it out on his hide instead"
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:06:51 AM EDT
[#1]
bump
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:41:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top