Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2006 11:51:20 AM EDT
The Men took a bronze in Rock Skipping On Ice.

This sport is growing...no, really. Rumor has it Eric The Hun is setting up a Curling rink for  the Third Annual Scooter Memorial ScheutzenFest (not that I'd ever start a rumor, mind you).
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:04:29 PM EDT
[#1]
It can't be a sport because there aren't any Chocolate People playing it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:05:42 PM EDT
[#2]
It should help out my neck of the woods. Elberton GA, granite city USA.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:10:22 PM EDT
[#3]
All I need to know is that the US women's team is hot.

I'd sell most of you into slavery to date one of those two blondes.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:11:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Since when did something like this become considered a sport?  Seriously... poker is being called a sport, some poeple need to get off the couch and actually do something athletic.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:12:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Next olympics Jamacia will have a team.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:15:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Since when did something like this become considered a sport?  Seriously... poker is being called a sport, some poeple need to get off the couch and actually do something athletic.

Have you seen the US women's team.

They can call it any goddamn thing they want as far as I care.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:17:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I love Curling!

And Cricket! The Cricket season package is expensive on Dish however, something like $150 for the season.

A brief history of Curling:

1565: Holland's Peter Breugel paints “Hunters in the Snow” and another work depicting scenes that resemble modern curling.

1759: The game arrives in North America with participants in Canada.

1832: Scottish immigrants bring curling to the United States. The Orchard Lake Curling Club appears in Michigan.

20th Century: Curling develops in the remainder of Europe.

1958: The United States Curling Association is founded.

1992: American curler Raymond “Bud” Somerville skips the team to a bronze medal at the Albertville Olympic Games, where curling appears as a demonstration sport.

1998: Curling joins the Olympics as a medal sport at the Nagano Games. Switzerland captures the men's gold and Canada wins the women's event.

Av.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:32:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I beg to differ sir!  It most certainly is a sport.  Just see what I found on www.curlingschool.com:

From www.curlingschool.com/manual/spirit_of_curling.html:

o o o

"Broomstacking"

One great tradition in curling is broomstacking. The term refers to the social get-together after each game. Originally, curlers, after completing a curling game on the pond, would stack their brooms in front of the fire and enjoy beverages with the opponent. This tradition is still alive today and it is expected that you partake in broomstacking after every game.

Broomstacking and the Competitive Spirit

There is also broomstacking at all competitive levels such as, national, and world championships. Although the focus of these competitive curling events is on determining a champion, the social expectation is still there. Even at the most competitive levels, teams will get together after the game for friendly discussion.

o o o  "

"Enjoying beverages" means beer!  It's a sport!

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:36:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

It's also not just what "Americans" deem as a sport.  It's huge internationally.

I remember 15 years ago, those of us that ski thought Snowboarders were just hippies that messed up the ski trails.  Now that's an olympic sport.  Course, they're still freaks.  

Go figure.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:40:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Easy chief, that's what gun banners say about air gun and pistol shooting.

G
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top