Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2001 10:54:59 PM EDT
I always wanted one. But too many choices.
Metric or inch.  Imbel OK?  Hess sucks right?

I'm looking in the $550 range, so the parts guns are the only option.  Which is best? Why?

Do they all use the same scope mount?

All opinions appreciated.  Thanx.
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 11:11:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I am pretty sure that they use all the same scope mounts. I like the ARMS myself.

Metric is the way to go, the mags are sooooo cheap. And buy a bunch while you still can. Imbel or STG-58's are top of the line. I like the humpback stocks that come with Imbels over the straight STG stock.  

There are really cool features on inch guns but the mags are kinda expensive. A lot of people build inch guns on Imbel metric recievers to get the best of both worlds. A lot of the individual parts can be interchanged between inch and metric. You'll have to look them up or ask the guys at www.l1a1.com to make the right choice.

A true Belgian FN-FAL are major bucks, the are all preban and have collectors value.
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 7:40:24 PM EDT
[#2]
 I was just pondering this myself today .
I have alway liked the FN/FAL but now I see that you can get the CETME .308 HK clone rifles for about the same money ( $500 ) or so .
 I think they have a 19.5 in barrel .
 What is the difference between the STG58 and L1A1 .  Does one have the bolt hold open ?

Is there a carbine or para model FN available ?
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 10:10:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, Sodie
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 10:32:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I made a 16" carbine with one of my Imbel kits. I had the original 21" barrel cut down and tweeked the gas port a bit. It totally kicks ass. Very nice balance too.

As for a Para-stock, you will need to start with either a pre-ban rifle or you will have to use a non-folding look alike. The Para FAL's use a different dust cover and dual internal recoil spring set.

Get this, there are new aluminum recievers available. Both upper and lower. Kit builders are boasting complete FAL's that weigh 6.1 pounds. I am in a wait and see mode until some real testing is done.

The STG's and most metrics are bolt hold open on the last round.

Almost all Inch guns are bolt closed to keep out the crud. Many Inch rifles have sandcut recievers with matching bolts. These features were added to increase reliability of the FAL in dry, sandy environments.
Link Posted: 8/14/2001 6:01:56 AM EDT
[#5]
IMHO, the best complete rifle buy out there is the DSA Authentic STG58 parts kit rifle for $795 dealer.

As to a kit build for low $$, how does this sound?

G1 kit from Tapco $125
FSE H/T/S/GP from Tapco $65
Penguin nylon stock from Tapco $20
Williams arms Alumalite recv'r $200

Total of $410 for the stuff, a little TLC, some minor refinishing, borrow, rent the proper tools, and buy a few of those DSA $5 mags and you're well on the way!

Check out www.l1a1.com for the best info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top