Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2006 6:21:50 AM EDT
I need a shopping cart and order fulfillment software package that's entirely web-based.  

I want to be able to access customer records and the order system from remote locations.  Our current developer created a system for us using Miva and OpenXB, and the overall system works.  But, she can't seem to diagnose the few bugs we've had for months.

Does anyone have a lead on a turn-key solution for web-orders, phone-orders, shipping, etc.?  

I would appreciate any input.

Roy
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:33:05 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I need a shopping cart and order fulfillment software package that's entirely web-based.  

I want to be able to access customer records and the order system from remote locations.  Our current developer created a system for us using Miva and OpenXB, and the overall system works.  But, she can't seem to diagnose the few bugs we've had for months.

Does anyone have a lead on a turn-key solution for web-orders, phone-orders, shipping, etc.?  

Roy

You need a better programmer, as for turn key, I dunno. I always liked doing / having custom programming, with a administrators web based user interface.

I used to program beside one of teh best Cold Fusion hackers in the country
Mr. Hinohosa, and 2 other phenominal people (Acacata)

IF you email them, tell em the "truck driver" sent ya
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:59:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Oscommerce is a pretty good open source web based cart. Most isp's offer it as a part of their hosting packages.

It's easy to install and supports most merchant accounts. I'll usually run it php/my-sql.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:09:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Oscommerce, seconded. Its free, open source, and good to go from setup. Check out the community for more development, they make plugins to do pretty much anything you can imagine.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:19:42 AM EDT
[#4]
We have about 45,000 names in our database.  Our programmer chose OpenXB because she thought this number of customers would be a problem for a "regular" web-based database.

I should also add that this is our sixth website and sixth web-programmer in seven years.  I would like to bring the admin back in house, because of all the difficulties we've run into whenever we farm stuff like this out.  We do not have an IT person.  There's eight of us in all.

I have no programming experience.

Roy
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:23:51 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Roy

You need a better programmer

+1 there...

what are the bugs that she cannot seem to diagnose? seems to me if she designed and implemented it properly, bugs should be pretty easy to track down.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:26:27 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I used to program beside one of teh best Cold Fusion hackers in the country
Mr. Hinohosa, and 2 other phenominal people (Acacata)

IF you email them, tell em the "truck driver" sent ya

Interesting... a Plano based company. I live nearby! hehe
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:31:48 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Roy

+1 there...

what are the bugs that she cannot seem to diagnose? seems to me if she designed and implemented it properly, bugs should be pretty easy to track down.

It's a Miva based site.  Our inventory is always off.  We have multiple modules, but have eliminated all fluff in the system to try and diagnose it.  Abandoned carts are sometimes saved on their own, and it corrupts the phone order you are taking.  Phone numbers being switched with another customer, etc.

Roy
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:03:12 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Roy

+1 there...

It's a Miva based site.  Our inventory is always off.  We have multiple modules, but have eliminated all fluff in the system to try and diagnose it.  Abandoned carts are sometimes saved on their own, and it corrupts the phone order you are taking.  Phone numbers being switched with another customer, etc.

Roy

Sorry, but you definately need a better programmer!

Sounds like some of this (not all) could also be transaction issues, maybe related to errors not being properly captured and rolled back, leaving orphaned records in the database, which, depending on the programmer, new records could become linked incorrectly to bad records...

does the database support transactions?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:16:14 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
We have about 45,000 names in our database (Access could handle it BUT SQL is needed for future growth).  Our programmer chose OpenXB because she thought this number of customers would be a problem for a "regular" web-based database. No such thing as a "regular web based DB", this statement REALLT tells me they have an idea of what they are doing but NOT a whole lot of experience,  Email the guys I mentioned above, If you are into Ecommerce and blah blah, You NEED to have a good team to set this up, dont skimp on this

I should also add that this is our sixth website and sixth web-programmer in seven years.  I would like to bring the admin back in house They could set you up with a nice little admin site, because of all the difficulties we've run into whenever we farm stuff like this out.  We do not have an IT person.  therefore you MUST get someone experienced to design the siteThere's eight of us in all.

Roy

I am NOT ragging on you , but this attitude is why I quite hacking,
I know about ARs would you want me to build you an AK?
I am very familiar with Glocks, shall I build you a 1911?
Point being get an expert in what you are dealing with.
My buddies all have full time gigs for bigtime IT / interweb companys , they do this for toy money and are TOP NOTCH!! Shoot em an Email, and TELL them the "TRUCK DRIVER" sent you. They will give you a FAIR rate
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:36:36 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
We have about 45,000 names in our database (Access could handle it BUT SQL is needed for future growth).  Our programmer chose OpenXB because she thought this number of customers would be a problem for a "regular" web-based database. No such thing as a "regular web based DB", this statement REALLT tells me they have an idea of what they are doing but NOT a whole lot of experience,  Email the guys I mentioned above, If you are into Ecommerce and blah blah, You NEED to have a good team to set this up, dont skimp on this

I should also add that this is our sixth website and sixth web-programmer in seven years.  I would like to bring the admin back in house They could set you up with a nice little admin site, because of all the difficulties we've run into whenever we farm stuff like this out.  We do not have an IT person.  therefore you MUST get someone experienced to design the siteThere's eight of us in all.

Roy

I am NOT ragging on you , but this attitude is why I quite hacking,
I know about ARs would you want me to build you an AK?
I am very familiar with Glocks, shall I build you a 1911?
Point being get an expert in what you are dealing with.
My buddies all have full time gigs for bigtime IT / interweb companys , they do this for toy money and are TOP NOTCH!! Shoot em an Email, and TELL them the "TRUCK DRIVER" sent you. They will give you a FAIR rate

I'm not taking it as you ragging on me.  I asked for input, not for anyone to solve my database issues via this thread.  I see packages like Mail Order Manager and asuch, but you folks know the drill.....this software does it all blah, blah, blah.  Then you buy it, and it doesn't perform as advertised.

I was just trying to get a referral or opinions.  Thanks for the referral.

Roy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top