Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2001 9:59:01 PM EDT
I had a program I downloaded as shareware from the company's website that would wipe the free space on your disk, and would also delete a designated file, as well as save random noise over the space on your HD where that file was located.

I had a problem with my computer recently that they desktop guys at work solved by formatting my hard drive, then imaging it again from the server. All of the programs I had added since I got it were gone, and I'm still trying to rebuild it.

If this program sounds familiar to anyone, I'd like a little help. Thanks.

FMCDH
Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 3:36:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Jarhead22,

I did a search on [URL]www.google.com[/URL] for "secure file delete" and found about 10 different programs immediately.  I've used PGP for Windoze before and I vaguely recall PGP file wiper.  You could choose how many times you wanted to wipe the affected area (file.)  I don't use Windoze anymore, but I'm sure it's still around.  PGP is no-cost and freely distributed from [URL]www.MIT.edu[/URL]'s website.  Just search for PGP.  I would recommend PGP before anything else, should this capability still be available.  

PS- Since you are aware of some of the inherent risks of using magnetic storage for data, you should also be aware that forensic computer scientists and other experts can actually "read" the magnetic signatures of data right thru one layer of "wiping."  If it's *that* important, put it on optical media (CD) so you can scrape off the foil on top of the CD in a minute.  That's where the data is, on top.  There are microscopic holes in that foil that can be shot all to hell when they are seperated into 10,000 or more tiny little flakes.  :)  
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 6:31:49 AM EDT
[#2]
BTT
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 6:33:51 AM EDT
[#3]
jeepers you guys been to mcuzi.com lately

yuck.................

M.I.G. you suck........................
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 6:49:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I've taken the liberty of installing Windoze on a test machine and have evaluated a couple programs for you.

Here they are:

[URL]www.rocketdownload.com/Details/Util/secure.htm[/URL]  This one has multiple wipe capability and the registration price is 15USD.

[URL]web.mit.edu/network/pgp.html[/URL] This is probably the most respected of encryption software packages out there, and at 0 cost.  This program can also be told to periodically wipe the "free space" left over after deletes.

[URL]www.zdnet.com/downloads/stories/info/0,10615,50466,00.html[/URL]  I have not evaluated this one since PGP contains wiping.  Registration is 19.95USD

If there's something else I can do to help you figure out exactly which program it was, let me know.  You weren't really specific enough for me to nail precisely which one you're talking about.  There are literally hundreds of these programs.  

Link Posted: 8/13/2001 6:54:04 AM EDT
[#5]
If you get the norton system works 2000 it has a feature to do a security wipe and will write all 1 s then all 0 s 4 times and then finish by writing all 1 s again to wipe your free space.  It is supposed tobe like the program the feds use to hide stuff!!

[beer]
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 7:16:57 AM EDT
[#6]
[url]http://www.east-tec.com/eraser/[/url]

Link Posted: 8/13/2001 8:01:02 AM EDT
[#7]
If they are mirroring a drive image onto your HD, it wont automatically install any programs that you installed yourself.  It usually gives you a copy of Windows, Office, and whatever specialized software your company might need to give every employee.

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 10:28:43 AM EDT
[#8]
for wiping i use BC wipe

its free and it works
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 6:04:23 PM EDT
[#9]
You da man, cyrax777. BC wipe it is. Thanks.

Jarhead out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top