Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2006 10:38:56 PM EDT
anyone ever think of getting one of those clamp-on bayonet lugs, clamping it upside down, and then mounting a bayonet? Then you could hold the bayonet like a verticle grip. I was thinking maybe the M9 bayonet would make a terrific verticle grip.

Serious question, Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:58:50 AM EDT
[#1]
bump for the day crew
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:02:30 AM EDT
[#2]
whaaa?

that almost deserves the bunny with the pancake on it's head!

besides, i'm not sure the bayo mech could take the torque of being used as a vertical grip 24/7.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:03:26 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
whaaa?

besides, i'm not sure the bayo mech could take the torque of being used as a vertical grip 24/7.

You aren't supposed to be putting a lot of torque on a VFG anyway....
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:05:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't think it would work. I don't have a bayonet and have never used one, but from what I understand, the ring in the crossguard of the bayonet slips over and into the recessed ring of the birdcage flash suppressor while the lug slips and locks the bayonet into place? If you mounted the bayonet such that it was pointing down there would be no ring for the bayonet to slip over and brace it against. The bayonet would simply fall off right? Maybe if it was a folding bayonet like some rifles have you could do it.

So... not only would it not work, but your bayonet lug would have to shift angles by 90 degrees and point down. How are you going to manage that? You'd need a special mount.

Then there is the whole safety issue of having a knife drawn like that. What happens if you dive into the ground? You could cut yourself or worse, stab yourself. The muzzle of the weapon is always going to be pointing away from the shooter so it's not terribly dangerous to put one pointing in that direction, but having one point down seem slike you're asking for trouble.

Why would you want to do it anyway? Just use a regular VFG.

Or is this all just a joke?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:10:18 AM EDT
[#5]
First, VERTICAL.

Second, the add-on lugs mount around the barrel in one of two directions - traditionally, so that the bayo blade will point away from you (as God intended) or "backwards" so that the blade would point toward you, assuming the barrel was long enough for the blade to clear the HGs, etc. (can't imagine why anyone would even attempt that).  To my knowledge, there is no way to mount the lug "upside-down" as you say, or to mount it in such a way that the bayonet would ever end up vertical...

ETA:  Alien beat me to it... gotta learn to type faster or use fewer words!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:14:59 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
whaaa?

You aren't supposed to be putting a lot of torque on a VFG anyway....

well, you do apply a little torque just by pulling in on it when you tuck your rifle into the pocket (i do anyway). the main thing is, i don't think the bayo mech in the butt of the bayonet would take even that little bit of pressure.

i THINK, he's talking about doing it with the scabbard on. if not...
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:16:18 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
well, you do apply a little torque just by pulling in on it when you tuck your rifle into the pocket (i do anyway). the main thing is, i don't think the bayo mech in the butt of the bayonet would take even that little bit of pressure.

i THINK, he's talking about doing it with the scabbard on. if not...

Only a pansy would have the sheath on his bayonet VFG!!!

Real men aren't afraid to bleed.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:23:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:23:52 AM EDT
[#9]
That's a very stabby way to hold a rifle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top