Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2006 8:51:53 PM EDT
I'm in the hiring process to become a deputy with a sheriff's office and part of the process is to be interviewed by their psychologist.  One of the questions he asked me was about firearms that I own and that I've previously owned.  He asked how many rifles (my answer 4), shotguns (2), handguns (5), and then the big question he asked was how many Assault rifles--to which I answered 10.  He looked at me kind of funny and lauged and was like "sooo, you like guns I see"....In my mind I said What the fuck, its none of your business, but what I said was yes sir I do.  I don't think its any of their damn business about my firearms!  Am I wrong?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:55:01 PM EDT
[#1]

you tell them!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:57:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I wish I could have told him, but I figured he'd give me a bad review!!  
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:58:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I think it is a fair question.  Of course it should have a neutral value in the evaluation.  However, if the shrink concluded that you were insane and you owned 10 "assault weapons."  That might be a tie breaker between you and another candidate.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:59:06 PM EDT
[#4]
During my LE interview the shrink got stuck on the fact I had been EOD in the Army and tried to get me to admit I was some risk taker with a death wish.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:59:45 PM EDT
[#5]
"How many rifles do you own?"

"I'm sorry, but what bearing does that have on my qualifications for this position?"

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:00:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm confused.

Your numbers don't add up, unless you don't consider your AR-15s, etc to be rifles.

No, it's none of his business.  I hope he's not anti gun or he wrote a big fat "GUN NUT" down and flunked you.

Good luck on the job.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:01:03 PM EDT
[#7]
"I only own Anti-Assault Rifles, as in they help prevent myself and loved ones from being assaulted."
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:01:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Shoulda been like "No assault rifles here.....they arent select fire."  
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:02:36 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I'm confused.

Your numbers don't add up, unless you don't consider your AR-15s, etc to be rifles.

No, it's none of his business.  I hope he's not anti gun or he wrote a big fat "GUN NUT" down and flunked you.

Good luck on the job.

I consider them a rifle, but I guess the doc doesn't!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:03:25 PM EDT
[#10]
He also asked about Automatic weapons.....Sadly I had to say no
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:03:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Interesting they would ask.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:03:59 PM EDT
[#12]
You have 10 FULL AUTOS?

After all, to be an assault rifle it must qualify under all of the following:

1.Fire an intermediate sized cartridge(.223, 7.62x39, .30 carbine,.....)

2.Have a standard magazine capacity of 30 or more rounds in detachable box magazine.

3.Is presently used or previously use by some military around the world.

And for the kicker:

4. It must have select fire( semi and burst, semi and full auto)

Most people don't know this but I feel obligated to point it out.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:04:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Winy-assed baby.  Turn down the paranoia.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:05:00 PM EDT
[#14]
You should have just answered 87 to every question.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:05:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Kudos to you for being honest.  It is a BS question, and I could see how the shrink may have drawn the wrong conclusion from it.  I hope he didn't decide that you were some kind of uber-tactical trigger happy mall ninga.

He was probably more interested in seeing if you would become evasive or defensive.

Let us know if you get the job.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:07:49 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Kudos to you for being honest.  It is a BS question, and I could see how the shrink may have drawn the wrong conclusion from it.  I hope he didn't decide that you were some kind of uber-tactical trigger happy mall ninga.

He was probably more interested in seeing if you would become evasive or defensive.

Let us know if you get the job.

I hope to get this one, seeing how I turned down a conditional job offer from Atlanta Police to go with this Sheriff's Office!!!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:08:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Assault rifles? You own 10? NFA city at your house!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:09:36 PM EDT
[#18]
You should have said:  "No such thing as an Assault Rifle."
ETA - Yeah, I know Assault Rifle is one thing, Assault Weapon another.
FD interview - The shrink asked what kind of animal I wanted to be.  I said a Bear.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:10:36 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Assault rifles? You own 10? NFA city at your house!

I bet he has lots of clips for them too!
Yo, yo - you gotz any beeamz fo' that tommy gage?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:11:27 PM EDT
[#20]
I was just simply asked if i owned a firearm  yes or no question

they made a much bigger deal of my  refrence from the mayor  (this was county)
basiclly they stated that I was using my friendship of a person in power to get a job
yeah like noone else does that , Im betting if i knew the sherriff well i sure would have gotten the job
I should have applied to the local PD but i just did not  want to work there and felt that i would have been using that friendship inapporiately  there  bit oh well im probably happier where I am now
besides i was alot younger then and had a diffent (read unrealistic) idea of what police work was
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:14:02 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I was just simply asked if i owned a firearm  yes or no question

they made a much bigger deal of my  refrence from the mayor  (this was county)
basiclly they stated that I was using my friendship of a person in power to get a job
yeah like noone else does that , Im betting if i knew the sherriff well i sure would have gotten the job
I should have applied to the local PD but i just did not  want to work there and felt that i would have been using that friendship inapporiately  there  bit oh well im probably happier where I am now
besides i was alot younger then and had a diffent (read unrealistic) idea of what police work was

I'm sure most LE applicants use the most powerful references they can...Hell my main reference happens to be the head of the local Masonic Lodge, which 90% of the Deputies are members including the Sheriff.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:18:51 PM EDT
[#22]
I sat through a similar interview for a much different position…

If any of y’all run across the same question, ask him if his views tend to be more Freudian than Jungian… If he laughs, you are fine. If not, evade the question as best as possible.

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity
-Sigmund Freud
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:20:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Before or after the tragic boating accident?  
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:24:28 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I sat through a similar interview for a much different position…

If any of y’all run across the same question, ask him if his views tend to be more Freudian than Jungian… If he laughs, you are fine. If not, evade the question as best as possible.

-Sigmund Freud

Unfortunatly most of what Freud "gave" us isn't really valid in modern psychology, he was one of the pioneers before there was such an official thing as Psychology.  I beleive he was a physiologist.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:26:05 PM EDT
[#25]
"What exactly do you mean by 'assault rifle'?"  Then watch him hem and haw, blow smoke out his a**, or if you're lucky, start telling you about HIS AR.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:28:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Please stop using the language of the left.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:35:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Did they have a BFOQ for asking that? Should be considered discrimination IMHO, but since gunownership doesn't have to do with Age, race, sex, or sexual orientation, you arn't considered a protected class which I think we should be .
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:53:52 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
"I only own Anti-Assault Rifles, as in they help prevent myself and loved ones from being assaulted."

tag for possible sigline!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:56:40 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Did they have a BFOQ for asking that?

I agree.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:40:59 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

-Sigmund Freud

Actually Freud never said that.  You might want to consider no longer using a faked hoax for a quote.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:42:20 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

he asked was how many Assault rifles--to which I answered 10.  

You own 10 legally registered machineguns?  
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:44:44 PM EDT
[#32]
You should have asked them to define "assault rifle".

When they give you their defintion (which they certainly will get wrong) you just say "no, that's incorrect" and let them try again. If they ask you why it's incorrect tell them you'll let them know after your hired.

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:54:02 PM EDT
[#33]
Were they expecting you to provide your own weapons?

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:59:34 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Am I wrong?

Yes, but not for the reason you think.

The shrink needed to get you "off balance" to see the "real you."  They try to upset, surprise, or stress you in order to get a feel for your ability to deal with people.  Don't read too much into it.

ETA: I used to work background investigations, so I know what the process involves.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:04:57 PM EDT
[#35]
you have assault rifles?  10 of them?  wow that's alot of money worth of class III goodness.  I hope to heaven that both the police interviewer and the potential hire don't consider anything semiautomatic to be an assault weapon.  you were talking class III right?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:06:48 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I'm in the hiring process to become a deputy with a sheriff's office and part of the process is to be interviewed by their psychologist.  One of the questions he asked me was about firearms that I own and that I've previously owned.  He asked how many rifles (my answer 4), shotguns (2), handguns (5), and then the big question he asked was how many Assault rifles--to which I answered 10.  He looked at me kind of funny and lauged and was like "sooo, you like guns I see"....In my mind I said What the fuck, its none of your business, but what I said was yes sir I do.  I don't think its any of their damn business about my firearms!  Am I wrong?

You have 10 select fire rifles?  You must be rich.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:09:59 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
you have assault rifles?  10 of them?  wow that's alot of money worth of class III goodness.  I hope to heaven that both the police interviewer and the potential hire don't consider anything semiautomatic to be an assault weapon.  you were talking class III right?

He said assault rifle, not so-called "assault weapon".
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:12:54 PM EDT
[#38]
During a psychological test, I had to answer 20 questions, all worded a little different from each other, which basically had to do with "flowers".  Example:  "Have you ever thought about being a florist?"  Another question:  "Have you thought about delivering flowers for a living?"  Yet another question:  "Do you like flowers?"  Wonder what they were trying to find out about me.   And yes, I did pass the test.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:15:18 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
During a psychological test, I had to answer 20 questions, all worded a little different from each other, which basically had to do with "flowers".  Example:  "Have you ever thought about being a florist?"  Another question:  "Have you thought about delivering flowers for a living?"  Yet another question:  "Do you like flowers?"  Wonder what they were trying to find out about me.   And yes, I did pass the test.

Well, just what did passing the test entail?  Do you like flowers?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:15:43 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Sigmund Freud

Actually Freud never said that.  You might want to consider no longer using a faked hoax for a quote.

General Introduction to Psychoanalysis

Page 92 in the 10th printing

ISBN: 067177140X

Kthxbye
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:15:58 PM EDT
[#41]
It's a very common question for LEO interviews.

1. He was looking for discomfort or reaction.

2. We have plenty of Tackleberries and weed out the more severe cases. (I have no idea how I slipped thru.)
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:18:44 PM EDT
[#42]
JavaMan = owned
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:22:24 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
then the big question he asked was how many Assault rifles--to which I answered 10.

Has it sunk in yet that "assault rifles" ARE "automatic weapons" in that they are select-fire semi/FA capable?

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:14:45 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
then the big question he asked was how many Assault rifles--to which I answered 10.

Has it sunk in yet that "assault rifles" ARE "automatic weapons" in that they are select-fire semi/FA capable?

It's not like every other post has mentioned that fact.  You would think he would have caught on.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:16:01 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

You have already said you told him you had 10 assault rifles, now you say you have no full auto.  Well, which is it?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top