Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2006 7:08:57 PM EDT
?

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:10:30 PM EDT
[#1]
when I go out of town my family/friends I am visiting pay for everything..including my gas....
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:13:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Since when do you have to do that?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:16:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Some states have "use tax" lines on their tax forms where you are supposed to declare unpaid sales tax. I've usually put something like $30 down just not to leave it blank.

I've never heard of Vermont going after people (e.g. seizing credit card statements, etc)...
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:23:31 PM EDT
[#4]
So If purchase 10k rounds of ammo in a neighboring state I have to pay MN sales tax on it?

WTF.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:26:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:27:18 PM EDT
[#6]
We moved to VA in 1995. That year, my wife took a run down to the furniture capital in NC and bought a couple of rooms worth of furniture.  The following year, I get a tax bill from VA. Seems they keyed on the trucking manifest to prove that I "imported" furniture into the state.  Had to pay like $120.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:28:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Not as far as you're concerned.  Leave it a that, ok?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:28:43 PM EDT
[#8]
tag; never heard of this before.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:29:07 PM EDT
[#9]
you're much more likely to be caught if you're a business they end up looking at your books.

"Let's see, mr red_beard...you purchased $5000 worth of computers from out of state, but I don't see a corresponding amount declared for salestax on out of state purchases".
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:30:35 PM EDT
[#10]
I've heard of it, but not seen it personally.  I'd be willing to bet they won't go after small fish, BUT if you're buying $10k worth of stuff in a year, that's a big fish to fry, and would probably be worth their trouble
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:36:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Vendors are (only) required to collect sales tax for purchases made within any state they have a physical presense in. If they don't have a physical presense, then it is not a taxable sale.

Some states, like NY, don't like this so they decided to make a new rule to get their hands deeper into your pockets - if you purchase something and have it "delivered" within the state, you have to pay tax on it. Then they made a new line on the tax form and a table for you to estimate your yearly purchases and the amount you owe.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:36:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Nope.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:01:39 PM EDT
[#13]
You don't have to, It specificly says so in the constatution!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:13:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:35:46 PM EDT
[#15]
HiramRanger,
If I understood your post correctly, then only states that currently collect an income tax would have a mechanism to enforce this on individuals?  At least for now...
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:44:32 PM EDT
[#16]
this is about as fucked up as a CORPORATION TAX.

Corps if they do X number of dollars in a state then they get billed for a Corp Tax

Example, I own a business (trucking) in NC, I deliver  2 loads in CT, 150 miles of  CT roads traveled,
I grossed 2000.00 of each load. They billed me for 85 dollars in 2004, WTF IS THIS? I bought nothing in CT, I paid my road tax, no tolls required.

Crooked ass mother fuckers
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:44:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:46:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 10:11:14 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

It dew?  Waare?

CA tried to get me when I came back from Japan, they keyed on the Customs forms.  Sent them a nice polite FOAD letter, with copies of all the receipts from the Military exchanges where I bought the stuff and noted that if I had bought them in the state from the exchanges no tax would be due.  Never heard again.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:36:54 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It dew?  Waare?

CA tried to get me when I came back from Japan, they keyed on the Customs forms.  Sent them a nice polite FOAD letter, with copies of all the receipts from the Military exchanges where I bought the stuff and noted that if I had bought them in the state from the exchanges no tax would be due.  Never heard again.

Article I, section 9...reposted here:

Section. 9.

The Migration or Importation of such Persons as any of the States now existing shall think proper to admit, shall not be prohibited by the Congress prior to the Year one thousand eight hundred and eight, but a Tax or duty may be imposed on such Importation, not exceeding ten dollars for each Person.

The Privilege of the Writ of Habeas Corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in Cases of Rebellion or Invasion the public Safety may require it.

No Bill of Attainder or ex post facto Law shall be passed.

No Capitation, or other direct, Tax shall be laid, unless in Proportion to the Census or enumeration herein before directed to be taken.

No Tax or Duty shall be laid on Articles exported from any State.

No Preference shall be given by any Regulation of Commerce or Revenue to the Ports of one State over those of another; nor shall Vessels bound to, or from, one State, be obliged to enter, clear, or pay Duties in another.

No Money shall be drawn from the Treasury, but in Consequence of Appropriations made by Law; and a regular Statement and Account of the Receipts and Expenditures of all public Money shall be published from time to time.

No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the United States: And no Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince, or foreign State.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:32:49 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:22:29 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It dew?  Waare?

Article I, section 9...reposted here:

Section. 9.

The Migration or Importation of such Persons as any of the States now existing shall think proper to admit, shall not be prohibited by the Congress prior to the Year one thousand eight hundred and eight, but a Tax or duty may be imposed on such Importation, not exceeding ten dollars for each Person.  Pertains to the Slave Trade not applicable

The Privilege of the Writ of Habeas Corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in Cases of Rebellion or Invasion the public Safety may require it.  Hmm, not this either

No Bill of Attainder or ex post facto Law shall be passed.  Nope

No Capitation, or other direct, Tax shall be laid, unless in Proportion to the Census or enumeration herein before directed to be taken.  Hmm Still Nope

No Tax or Duty shall be laid on Articles exported from any State.  Lets see, not this one either, the exporting state and the Feds are the ones forbidden to tax the exports (generally means exporting out of the country), and this doesn't address states and imports, and in any case we are talking about a sales tax, and not a tax on imports.  Close but still not applicable

No Preference shall be given by any Regulation of Commerce or Revenue to the Ports of one State over those of another; nor shall Vessels bound to, or from, one State, be obliged to enter, clear, or pay Duties in another.  Nope

No Money shall be drawn from the Treasury, but in Consequence of Appropriations made by Law; and a regular Statement and Account of the Receipts and Expenditures of all public Money shall be published from time to time.  Nope

No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the United States: And no Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince, or foreign State.

Nope

I ask again Wear due it say thayut?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:25:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Wow..... I m glad Im a Texas resident. We dont even have a state income tax....for now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top