Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2006 6:32:45 PM EDT
What do you think of scratched guns?

I think the more scratched they are (obviously not at the expense of function) the more character they have.  A scratched gun has a story, it has been somewhere!

But there seems to be a large number of guys on here who would weep if they got a little scratch on their gun.

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:33:53 PM EDT
[#1]
ask any of the people i've shot with (OH forum) I go out of my way to put scratches in my guns.

"Whoops, dropped the gun"
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:34:15 PM EDT
[#2]
It adds character.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:45:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Plain scratched up and abused? no
A gun that has been used to the point there is alot of finish gone  and alot of the parts are worn shiney is kinda intresting
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:47:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

A gun that has been used to the point there is alot of finish gone  and alot of the parts are worn shiney is kinda intresting

Agreed.  My G27 is shiny.  I always thought the pics of soldiers with AR's that were shiny were cool as well.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:17:46 PM EDT
[#5]
It depends on the gun's background. If it is brand new then it would drive me nuts for a little bit, but if it is older or used then to me it is ok.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:18:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I think the more scratched they are (obviously not at the expense of function) the more character they have.  A scratched gun has a story, it has been somewhere!

But there seems to be a large number of guys on here who would weep if they got a little scratch on their gun.

If that's the case you should take a brillo pad to your Colt Thompsons.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:20:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I like it if they're earned. There's nothing worse than someone who intentionally abuses something to make it look well used.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:20:47 PM EDT
[#8]
My tools are all scratched. So is my Jeep. I guess thats what happens when you use something thats designed to be rugged.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:21:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I like the holster wear on my carry piece and for the most part can't stand the look of a brand new gun especially if it is black and evile!

Wear not outright abuse brings character to a gun IMO.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:23:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:24:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Definatly depends on the type of gun. A carry gun, c&r, hunting rifle...scratches are cool. If I had a a custom rifle, say presentation grade, and it got scratched different story. But for the most part wear adds  charactor.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:26:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I like the holster wear on my carry piece and for the most part can't stand the look of a brand new gun especially if it is black and evile!

Agreed!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:27:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Definatly adds character.

Soon availible: ARFCOM stonewashed SEBR!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:31:18 PM EDT
[#14]

I like either brand spanking, shiny new or true, well earned scars with the stock dings and worn bluing in the right places.  

It's the in-between status that I hate.

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:34:44 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
It depends on the gun's background. If it is brand new then it would drive me nuts for a little bit, but if it is older or used then to me it is ok.

+1

On my AK and milsurps I don't really mind, I don't make to much of a fuss if it happens to one of my ARs either.

I do have some that I really would not like to get too messed up though.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:38:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

I have a guage on one of my Mossbergs from where I dropped it down a flight of stairs and broke the shell saddle off of it. That one sucks pretty bad. I also am not real excited about the dings in the finish on my Marinecote Mossberg 590.

I love the wear on my XD subcompact 9mm though. That was my primary carry gun for about a year, and I probably have about 5000 rounds though it. That gun has alot of character and I wouldn't like it if it still looked brand new.

Make sense?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:39:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I bought most of my firearms brand new, at present time, they all have wear and scratch marks on them from usage. Every mark, I consider a STRIPE on the gun that depicts many fun times out shooting with friends and family. No longer new and unknown, fit perfectly, comfortably. It is then when a gun becomes you.

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:42:32 PM EDT
[#18]
I am way too busy playing on the intranet to really be shooting guns so I take steel wool and sandpaper to them.

I also roll around on the ground in all my gear so I can also look "used"
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:49:42 PM EDT
[#19]
I like all guns!!! I don't discriminate. A few scratches never hurt....it's bound to happen if you use it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:50:43 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I am way too busy playing on the intranet to really be shooting guns so I take steel wool and sandpaper to them.

Not sure of the validity, but I saw on here a guy claimed to tie his AR behind his truck and drag it down a gravel road.

i called BS, but it's an interesting idea.

And I get jealous when I see pics of rifles in Iraq.  I could only dream of having that kind of beautiful wear, and the stories behind it to back it up.

My M9 is starting to get some nice wear to it though.  Mostly holster wear, but it definately doesn't look like a new gun anymore.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:56:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Scratched guns, are BROKEN-IN guns.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:02:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Nothing wrong with a few battle scars.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:02:50 PM EDT
[#23]
If it's a earned scratch or ding, thats cool, if it's a dumb f--k scratch I hate it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:09:01 PM EDT
[#24]
I wish that you have a line for "depends on the gun."  There are guns that I don't mind scratching (my working guns).  There are guns that I do very much mind scratching......guns with sentimental value or high value guns that are irreplaceable.

It also depends on how the blemish came to be.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:15:00 PM EDT
[#25]
I was at my local pawn shop and found a model 29 SW 44mag in perfect condition except for a deep two inch scratch down the barrel. I offered $350 for it, and the guy said "welll... shureeee since it has a scratch... You payin cash?" And I have a friggin accurate hand cannon for a dirt cheap price.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:20:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Bought a Kimber Ultra Raptor last week, NIB.

Took it home, used a knife to cut off the plastic hang tag...dinged the frame, and some of the finish scratched off.

My only concern? "Is the frame steel? Oh..no, it's alumnium. Sweet. Who cares then."

Promptly went about breaking in it's holster, and that was that.

Guns were made to be used. Yah, ok, I can see if you go all out and get a gussied-up custom engraved and inlayed with pure gold firearm, that you wouldn't want it scratched.

But you wouldn't shoot that, either. It'd go into a presentation/display case, probably.

For a gun you're going to bring to the range, or carry every day? Who cares? Function trumps form.

The only things that should be cosmetically cared for are BBQ guns and custom presentation pieces, IMO. Neither of 'em will ever really be used, so..

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:34:47 PM EDT
[#27]
safe queens are 'teh ghey'.

Take them to the range and out hunting to get some honest wear.

My 2 centavos,

wganz
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:44:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Who gives a crap?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:03:44 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
My tools are all scratched. So is my Jeep. I guess thats what happens when you use something thats designed to be rugged.

yep.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:21:53 PM EDT
[#30]
At the gun show once, I was looking at a handgun, and the first thing I notice was a huge gouge in the side of the frame.

The elite vendor started spinning BS about how it had hardly been shot and that the gourge must be a mark the distributor or manufacturer put in it to mark it as a dealer sample.   I told him it looked more like road rash.  That got me thinking about the circumstances that might lead to that,   and so I backed off.  The thing that pissesd me off was that the guy kept insisting that there would be an oddly-angled, rough mark put there intentionally.

What a load of crap.   But I learned who one bulshi**er is, anyway.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:26:14 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

the gourge must be a mark the distributor or manufacturer put in it to mark it as a dealer sample.   .

Nice !!ll have to remember that line
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:14:38 PM EDT
[#32]
I have a Russian M44 that I take to the range often and  I lay it on the ground / dirt /  gravel , I dont care if it gets a few scratches, or finish wear on the steel butt plate

I like the look of well used surplus rifles
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:57:45 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Agreed!

Yeah, I gotta +1 that. I don't intentionally abuse my guns....but wear is use. Now, I might toss a fit if I did something stupid to scratch it, chip the finish, whatever...but I'd get over it and move on.

So to answer the poll... I like Pie!

No Expert
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:13:59 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Lots of scratches on the old girl, and the bluing has been worn off the high spots. But she is more reliable than death and taxes.

Lots of scratches on the Walther too.

The Smith has lots of places where it has been worn shiny from riding in a pocket holster.

She looked like hell before I had her hard chromed.

All of these guns have scratches because they are reliable enough to be carry guns. Their wear is indication of the reliable service they have given me.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:21:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:23:43 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

You rock!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:24:41 AM EDT
[#37]
I hate it when I scratch one through stupidity but normal useage doesnt batther me.

On a tactical shotgun I scratch the crap out of my 590, that's fine. Stripping my Kimber to change springs I hacked the guide rod and that bugs me.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:18:14 AM EDT
[#38]
So I'm at this John Farnam pistol course. We get divided into 2 teams of 10 and each team lines up behind a table that is holding all their weapons and 2 reloads each. A good mix of Glocks, Sigs, HKs and 1911s on each. The drill was to pick up each in turn, get 2 hits on steel and go to the back of the line. First team done wins. The point of the drill is "no one should have a favorite weapon".

So Farnam walks up to the first table and says "Let me demonstrate!" He proceeds to go 20 for 20 on the steel. The funny part was after he was done with each weapon he literally threw it onto the table, hard. The Glock guys maintained a "whatever" attitude. The Sig and HK guys visibly flinched. The 1911 guys screamed out loud!

Farnam, having clearly planned this, turns around and says words to the effect of "They're tools, get over it!"

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:25:59 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I like it if they're earned. There's nothing worse than someone who intentionally abuses something to make it look well used.

+1

+2...  But I can see this stupidity coming.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:31:50 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
ask any of the people i've shot with (OH forum) I go out of my way to put scratches in my guns.

"Whoops, dropped the gun"

I'll vouch for that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top