Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2006 4:41:23 PM EDT
couple of draw down threads here lately.  One on a driver site in which a noob asks if it's ok to CC for protection as he runs around the country.  One guy says "for all the guys that do carry guns, how often do you actually have to pull it?" with a few smilies trying to say that were just gun nuts who carry for no reason.  Anyway, several of us posted that we'd had to pull on an occaison or 3 but thank god none of us had actually had to shoot somebody.

Enter the internet commando stage left!

This guy tells us that we are all stupid and any time you pull your gun you better effing shoot and if anyone pulled a gun on him they better shoot him cause him or anyone at his club would make me eat my gun.  I give my normal, stfu noob, this is the real world killing someone is not something you should do just because you can honest answer.  So I got to wondering what the general consensus here is.  

Are their times when it's legitimate to pull your weapon and not fire it?

IBTMisspelledPoll!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:42:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah I know I did "you're" wrong in the poll
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:44:18 PM EDT
[#2]
There are times when the gun can be used as more of a deterent than as a weapon........I think so anyway
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:45:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, if you have a reason to pull it, such as a guy with a knife approaching you in a threatening manner, and upon pulling your gun he runs off, you are legally required NOT to shoot him.  If the threat has ended, it's wiser not to fire.  As soon as you pull that trigger, you are going to have a legal shit storm floating your way no matter how legit your shoot was.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:45:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I carry religously, but hope to God I dont ever have to brandish the thing. I'd say more likely for peeps in the know, if we have to slap some leather, something bad is about to go down.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:46:13 PM EDT
[#5]
there are times,
I truck with mine EVERYWHERE! CCW trucker.
I can hear it now, "it is illegal to have a firearm in a rig"

Dumbass'

Post me a link
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:50:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Yeah I know I did "you're" wrong in the poll

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:50:12 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
there are times,

Dumbass'

Post me a link

What are you gonna do when you go to Mass, Illinois, Canada, New York or Cali?  
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:53:29 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
there are times,

Dumbass'

Post me a link

Conceal it?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:54:36 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
there are times,

Dumbass'

Post me a link

Conceal it?

Try crossing into Canada and get caught, they'll very nicely haul ur ass to jail.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:54:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't carry for well obvious reasons
<---

BUT, if I did I would say if I am drawing down I sure as hell plan on firing, something about not pointing a gun at something you don't intend to destroy.

Quoted:
Well, if you have a reason to pull it, such as a guy with a knife approaching you in a threatening manner, and upon pulling your gun he runs off, you are legally required NOT to shoot him.  If the threat has ended, it's wiser not to fire.  As soon as you pull that trigger, you are going to have a legal shit storm floating your way no matter how legit your shoot was.

The trick is to fire before they get a chance to turn tail and run. (edit. I'm being facetious, if you couldn't tell...)
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:56:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
there are times,

Dumbass'

Post me a link

Ma.... Il...... C..c...c...c.. fuck that, New WHo? Caliwhat?

Those places are NOT in my  atlas or GPS
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:57:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Out of 13 times that your weapon is drawn, you will only have to use it once.  That statistic was given to me by Mas Ayoob.  That being said, you should never draw your gun without the intention of having to use it...no brandishing!  The 12 times you don't use it, the situation has changed before you have gone from Condition Red to Black (BG runs away, produced a cell phone vs a streetsweeper, you get the idea.)
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:57:54 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I don't carry for well obvious reasons
<---

BUT, if I did I would say if I am drawing down I sure as hell plan on firing, something about not pointing a gun at something you don't intend to destroy.

Quoted:

The trick is to fire before they get a chance to turn tail and run.

but at the time I pull my gun I do intend to distroy them or untill i no longer intend to destroy them i will stop pointing it at them

also LEO use weapons drawn for felony stops as a "PROTECTIVE" messure. This is done by almost all departments...
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:58:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Drawing your gun is #3 on the 4 step self defense process:

1. Verbally warn perp to get back, not yet indicating you have a weapon
2. Verbally warn again, with your hand on holstered weapon
3. Draw your weapon
4. Fire your weapon

Obviously you can go from 1-4 quite quickly, sometimes skipping 1&2 if the perp forces you to.

Point being that after you draw your weapon, you STILL have options before you fire your weapon.  Hopefully the sight of a weapon will be enough to disuade the perp from his attempt on you.

Firing the weapon is a last resort at all times, and should be avoided at all costs.

I'm happy to say i've never had to draw my weapon, though i did get to step 2 once.  Perp got the hint and departed.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:04:44 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Drawing your gun is #3 on the 4 step self defense process:

1. Verbally warn perp to get back, not yet indicating you have a weapon
2. Verbally warn again, with your hand on holstered weapon
3. Draw your weapon
4. Fire your weapon

Obviously you can go from 1-4 quite quickly, sometimes skipping 1&2 if the perp forces you to.

Point being that after you draw your weapon, you STILL have options before you fire your weapon.  Hopefully the sight of a weapon will be enough to disuade the perp from his attempt on you.

Firing the weapon is a last resort at all times, and should be avoided at all costs.

I'm happy to say i've never had to draw my weapon, though i did get to step 2 once.  Perp got the hint and departed.

I don't know about step 2.  Seems to me that you don't want the guy to know you have a gun before you draw it.  Just gives him more time to pull his (assuming he's carrying).  The whole reason it is holstered is to conceal it.  Once the BG knows you have it, it becomes a threat to him and he might respond with force.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top