Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:25:05 PM EDT
[#1]
unhook the plow and let em go....
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:27:44 PM EDT
[#2]
give em enough rope.......
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:29:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, I hope our commanders have the good sense to get out of the way and let them at each other. I wouldnt want to have to stand in between that.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:29:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm shocked!  

I knew this was coming sooner or later.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:30:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:31:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Is it really that hard for a country not to be a shithole?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:32:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I know the arguments about Kurdistan, but it seems to me we need three Iraqs. With US troops in at least two of the three as a counter weight.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:34:08 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Yeah, I hope our commanders have the good sense to get out of the way and let them at each other. I wouldnt want to have to stand in between that.

You said it!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:34:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I for one am very surprised.  I always believed them to be a peace-loving people.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:35:19 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Wise words Rustedace...but you gotta admit ...it'd make great footage....

Thanks for your service

Taffy
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:35:58 PM EDT
[#11]
I am shocked. SHOCKED!

I really thought once they got a taste of democracy everything would be hunky dory. I did. I really did.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:36:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Game over more like.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:37:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:38:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Like they need a reason to kill each other.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:40:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Given the history of the region, it was only a matter of time.  I hope we have the good sense to stand back and let nature take it's course.  Any other approach will only delay the inevitable.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:42:56 PM EDT
[#16]
It was inevitable, the only thing that kept them from fighting each other was Saddam..........now if we can just pull our guys back to a safe distance and keep feeding them ammo......
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:43:14 PM EDT
[#17]
impression i get is the sunnis actually more ogranized than the shiites. theres more shiites than sunnis though. sunnis used to running the show trying to get that back. shiites just wanna be shiites...

a country less stable than before saddam is probably worse than a stable counry with saddam. look at lebanon.. iraq could become the middle eastern version of somalia. one big crazy killing fest breeding nothing but crazies.

throw iran into the mix and the oil that's in the area. not good...

there will never be peace in the middle beast..

winter is coming...
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:45:55 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
impression i get is the sunnis actually more ogranized than the shiites. theres more shiites than sunnis though. sunnis used to running the show trying to get that back. shiites just wanna be shiites...

a country less stable than before saddam is probably worse than a stable counry with saddam. look at lebanon.. iraq could become the middle eastern version of somalia. one big crazy killing fest breeding nothing but crazies.

winter is coming...

I think it will come out that Iran was directly involved in the mosque bombing.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:04:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:23:04 PM EDT
[#20]
I still think the CIA blew up the gold dome mosque!!!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:26:34 PM EDT
[#21]
I say we send all the ammo needed and let them have at it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:28:54 PM EDT
[#22]
tag

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:29:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Civil war is possible, but I'll wait and see. People have been declaring civil war to be imminent for the last two years.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:30:26 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I still think the CIA blew up the gold dome mosque!!!

Then you are an idiot... with all due respect.

- BG
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:43:41 PM EDT
[#25]
I can't believe nobodies said it yet...
It's Bush's fault!

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:51:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Is it possible to blow up a mosque with 7 1/2 shot from a 28 gauge?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:54:48 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
It's Bush's fault!

I'm waiting for this too, someone's going to say it
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:58:20 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

winter is coming...

I'm not sure, would the shia really blow up a mosque with that much importance to them? Seems like  they would have picked some other target, but then again, I'm not sure how cazy they are.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:06:23 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

winter is coming...

I'm not sure, would the shia really blow up a mosque with that much importance to them? Seems like  they would have picked some other target, but then again, I'm not sure how cazy they are.

I wouldn't put it past the Iranian's, they would love for a civil war to start.  Also Grand Ayatolla Al Sistani is no friend to the Iranian Mullah's, if fact the Iranian Mullahs wouldn't mind seeing Al Sistani take a dirtnap.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:21:34 AM EDT
[#30]
It was al Sistani that stopped the civil war brewing back in 2003. He was the one that reigned in al Sadr and his Mehdi Army when Sadr City in Baghdad was a hotbed of trouble. Since then, the Shiites have been quiet, and its the Sunnis that have done all the damage. If the Shiites refuse to sit still and keep taking it, then the Southern 2/3 of Iraq becomes more or less ungovernable. The Kurds in the North will wall themselves in, and probably declare an independant Kurdistan. They will then have to beat back the Turkish invasion.

Frankly, I wouldn't put this past either AQ or the Mullahs. Discord in the south serves both their purposes. Mind you, I seriously doubt that the Sunnis can win this one. They are right smack in the middle, between two large and well organised groups that hate their guts. Hitler learnt how much fun fighting a 2 front war was.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 12:56:12 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
It was al Sistani that stopped the civil war brewing back in 2003. He was the one that reigned in al Sadr and his Mehdi Army when Sadr City in Baghdad was a hotbed of trouble. Since then, the Shiites have been quiet, and its the Sunnis that have done all the damage. If the Shiites refuse to sit still and keep taking it, then the Southern 2/3 of Iraq becomes more or less ungovernable. The Kurds in the North will wall themselves in, and probably declare an independant Kurdistan. They will then have to beat back the Turkish invasion.

Frankly, I wouldn't put this past either AQ or the Mullahs. Discord in the south serves both their purposes. Mind you, I seriously doubt that the Sunnis can win this one. They are right smack in the middle, between two large and well organised groups that hate their guts. Hitler learnt how much fun fighting a 2 front war was.

Al Sistani is a shrewd leader, he tends to keep a low profile but keeps a very observant eye on things.   He is said to be a voracious reader of news from all around the world, has studied history.  He escaped from Iran because Khomani wanted him dead for oppossing the "theocracy" there.  Al Sistani thinks theocracies are bad news and lead to tyrants, he believes religious leaders should stick to religion and leave politics to others.  When he flexes his muscles, it tends to be well thought out.

I believe he gave Al Sadr an offer he couldn't refuse a few years ago when the Fat Man was causing a shitload of trouble.  Al Sadr and his Mahdi Army (what was left of them) got real quiet when Al Sistani spoke up and told him to stand down.  
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 1:37:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 2:00:55 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Al Sistani is a shrewd leader, he tends to keep a low profile but keeps a very observant eye on things.   He is said to be a voracious reader of news from all around the world, has studied history.  He escaped from Iran because Khomani wanted him dead for oppossing the "theocracy" there.  Al Sistani thinks theocracies are bad news and lead to tyrants, he believes religious leaders should stick to religion and leave politics to others.  When he flexes his muscles, it tends to be well thought out.

I believe he gave Al Sadr an offer he couldn't refuse a few years ago when the Fat Man was causing a shitload of trouble.  Al Sadr and his Mahdi Army (what was left of them) got real quiet when Al Sistani spoke up and told him to stand down.  

I didn't know that. Thanks. It makes a lot of sense.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:43:12 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Al Sadr and his Mahdi Army (what was left of them) got real quiet when Al Sistani spoke up and told him to stand down.  

fatboy and his pimp army got real quiet when they started waking up with their throats cut!

my money is still on zarqawi. wtf do you think would happen to iran's juice if there was even the slightest wiff they were involved in the bombing of the mosque??? the iraqi shia would turn on iran like a pack of hungry dogs on a steak!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:49:34 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Al Sadr and his Mahdi Army (what was left of them) got real quiet when Al Sistani spoke up and told him to stand down.  

fatboy and his pimp army got real quiet when they started waking up with their throats cut!

my money is still on zarqawi. wtf do you think would happen to iran's juice if there was even the slightest wiff they were involved in the bombing of the mosque??? the iraqi shia would turn on iran like a pack of hungry dogs on a steak!

I don't doubt for a minute that Iran is giving support to Zarqawi.

But I believe that this bombing is Zarqawi's doing. What the press so stupidly does not understand about the "Iraqi insurgents" is that they are just as happy killing muslims as they are killing white devils. In their mind if you don't agree 100% with their ideas you become a traitor to the faith worthy of death.

I think we will discover that this is another AQ in Iraq presentation, but that Zarqawi is nervous because he fears that he may have hit too hard and started to galvanize determined efforts to get rid of him. If that is the case, he will be looking to deflect blame somewhere else so he can continue operations in Iraq and not end up getting HIS head cutt off on home video.

Knowing the distrust that exists with Iran, why not blame them?

I get the distinct impression that somebody stepped in it and they are looking desperately to wipe it on to someone else before people figure out where the smell is coming from.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:00:05 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
unhook the plow and let em go....

Yep.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:01:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Divide and conquor.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:06:18 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
It's Bush's fault!

Actually, it was the trial run of Haliburton's MKM-MK1Mod0 (Mosque Killing Machine)!  After they get the bugs worked out, it's on!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:07:30 AM EDT
[#39]
You know, I was thinking the other day about all the Iraqi casualties (killed) since we invaded three years ago. Don't know what the total is, but it seems like they've averaged 30-50 each and every day for a couple of years (not counting their losses in the initial invasion).  If they've lost 50 per day over three years, that's approximately 55,000 Iraqis.

Hmmm. I figured it'd be a higher number. Still, that's quite a bit, and the total keeps going up every day.

Oh well, carry on.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:08:37 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:15:35 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Let 'em fight it out. We can inherit a nice oil platform in the deal.

Not to mention turning the place into a hog feedlot!

CBinGA
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:17:43 AM EDT
[#42]
... Almost nothing good can come from this

... We stand to lose any, even if puny, strategic foothold we once may have had

... Anything in the country rebuilt, any respect garnered by, and all Americans lost in Iraq will be only be remembered as one of this countries biggest blunders ever
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:21:02 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I don't doubt for a minute that Iran is giving support to Zarqawi.

But I believe that this bombing is Zarqawi's doing. What the press so stupidly does not understand about the "Iraqi insurgents" is that they are just as happy killing muslims as they are killing white devils. In their mind if you don't agree 100% with their ideas you become a traitor to the faith worthy of death.

+10 to the 12th power!

Think Camere Rouge/Killing Fields.    
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:48:47 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

You might as well believe it was instead.  Makes just as much sense, if not more.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:14:16 AM EDT
[#45]
I think the Sunni Imams have it coming.
This war has always beeen operated from the Sunni (Wahabi) Mosques.

Killing these Imams and burning those Mosques is something that should have occurred a few years ago.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:33:36 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I know the arguments about Kurdistan, but it seems to me we need three Iraqs. With US troops in at least two of the three as a counter weight.

I agree.

The Kurds are going at it like Gangbusters building a proper modern country, and the south is making reasonable progress too.

But the middle bit...I see no reason for optimism with the Sunni areas...

ANdy

There will still be civil war over who gets the oil, and they can never divide it fairly enough.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:45:18 AM EDT
[#47]
wahabiism is a saudi/taliban/aq thing. not so much in iraq which used to be much more secular. as the shit gets worse though, i reckon it'll grow. kind of a knee-jerk reaction to the shia fundamentalism ("ha! 7th century??? progressive dilettantes! we'll go back to the 6th century!!!")
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:50:08 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You might as well believe it was instead.  Makes just as much sense, if not more.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:12:17 AM EDT
[#49]
SO i dont get it. What is the consenses here at ARFCOM? Does this mean that the Anti-war people were right? They always said that this was going to degenerate into  a civil war despite protestations from the Admin. So what do you people here now think? Was Bush wrong about invading Iraq?
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:15:50 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top