Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/23/2006 2:47:59 PM EDT
What if some super major catastrophe just happened in your state/town/city/whatever. Something far worse than 9/11. But along the same lines. Dirty bomb, freakin earth quake, tsunami, etc. In other words, it is so big that it has the attention of damn near the entire world. Are you ready for survival mode? Or are you gonna be like most of those losers in New Orleans who were looking for a handout from Uncle Sam?

If you have to bug out, how are you going to carry all of your ammo? Food? Firearm(s)?

Have you already made a decision on what stays and what goes with you?

Or are ya just gonna play it by ear and go with it when it happens?

Short of a nuclear/dirty bomb blast, I ain't goin' anywhere. My home is my castle and I ain't givin it up to nobody.

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:50:32 PM EDT
[#1]
I didn't even plan to be born.  How could I possibly plan for something like that?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:50:34 PM EDT
[#2]

I need a large generator ... then I'll feel prepared.   Otherwise, I'm probably reasonable prepared for a lot of unforseen events.

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:51:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:51:16 PM EDT
[#4]
i am defintely buggin out.

in my 40 mpg car (hwy). fit me and the GF + food (3 weeks) + water (24 gallons) + ammo (lots) + guns (enough) + med supplies (goldschlager and duct tape)

othere than that it completley METT-TC dependent sir.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:53:53 PM EDT
[#5]
yup
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:54:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't mean to post in a survival forum thread.  This is exactly why one should have only two calibers of weapons.  One pistol caliber and one rifle caliber.  That way ammo selection and transport is much easier.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:54:40 PM EDT
[#7]
The only thing I'm truly prepared for would be coming home to find 20 strippers in my bedroom.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:55:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I don't mean to post in a survival forum thread.  This is exactly why one should have only two calibers of weapons.  One pistol caliber and one rifle caliber.  That way ammo selection and transport is much easier.

Which is one reason why I have a P228 and a Colt AR-15 9mm.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:55:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
The only thing I'm truly prepared for would be coming home to find 20 strippers in my bedroom.

LIAR!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:55:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

in my 40 mpg car (hwy). fit me and the GF + food (3 weeks) + water (24 gallons) + ammo (lots) + guns (enough) + med supplies (goldschlager and duct tape)

BUG OUT!  Along with millions of others on the highway parking lot.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:56:41 PM EDT
[#11]
I've got Pop-Tarts and Gatorade.
Bring it on.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:57:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Better than most. less than some.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:57:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Extra Kool Aid?????
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:59:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Head for the hills.....they'll burn down whatever building you take refuge in.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:00:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Where I've moved to I'm FAR better off staying put.  I have none of the worries that I did living in urban SoCal trapped with millions of panicked sheeple.  The nearest city that any terrorist would have possibly targeted is almost 400 miles as the crow flies and the only realistic natural disasters that could befall me would be forest fires or blizzards.

I'm still in the process of relocation so if TSHTF right now I'm in a world of hurt but I should be settled in by March and ready to tie up the loose ends and have a plan and supplies in place.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:01:36 PM EDT
[#16]
I still have my y2k stash
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:05:33 PM EDT
[#17]
YES
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:07:25 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's what I'm going to do. To save gas, I've got a 20 foot HEAVY chain, two bolts, two nuts and some Loctite. At the first opportunity I'll jump out and hook on to the vehicle in front of me and let him tow me. I've got the boltcutters for when we get to where I'm going.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:09:49 PM EDT
[#19]
To answer my own question - sort of. I need a generator, more drinking water (although I have a hand pump filter system), back pack stoves for boiling water, plenty of .308 ammo and 9mm. I have a lot of food stashed.

I figure if the sheeple neighbors decide to haul ass, I'll break into their homes and take what I need. Of course, when everything settles back to normal, and if they return, I'll reimburse them. If they don't, oh well.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:11:37 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Beat me to it. All of us should have learned by now from recent events there will be NO BUGGING OUT. There will be no where to go. You had best plan for worst case, which is survive in your home, be it flooded or earthquaked in half. I cant say Im prepared but Ive got about maybe ...100rds of 9 and 100 of 5.56 plus we always have a gallon or two of water besides all the bottles constantly being drank. Can vegetables...more than an army can consume, only cuz they pile up in the back of the pantry cuz no one eats them
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:13:14 PM EDT
[#21]
I live on high ground and have planned for a BI situation.
I've only catered for water/food and cooking equipment but I bet a fortune I'm the only one in my village to even have this bare essentials.

most UK people  have "head in the sand" syndrome.

We have natural disasters here too, they forget all too easily.

Taffy
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:14:53 PM EDT
[#22]
My ammo consists of over one thousand, .308 rounds. And around eight hundred, 9mm rounds.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:16:26 PM EDT
[#23]
you wanna be prepared. get 40 acres and a mule somewhere low key. stock it with 1 years worth of supplies. if you think you will have to get there via a highway, you wont. ever see a planned bugout from a hurricane area? one very slow moving (if at all) parking lot. you get something like a martian invasion your gonna have to walk unless you have a horse or mule...

so move to the bugout area ahead of time.

guns and ammo be the last of your worries. once the gooks start coming over the wire your gonna get overrun sooner or later. best not to be there in the first place. be somewheres else...
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:16:40 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Me too.

I'm still a novice, not a professional survivalist - but I hope to move up the ladder someday...
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:17:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Yep and it happens to me every year.

Hurricanes are great tests.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:17:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:18:25 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
you wanna be prepared. get 40 acres and a mule somewhere low key. stock it with 1 years worth of supplies. if you think you will have to get there via a highway, you wont. ever see a planned bugout from a hurricane area? one very slow moving (if at all) parking lot. you get something like a martian invasion your gonna have to walk unless you have a horse or mule...

so move to the bugout area ahead of time.

guns and ammo be the last of your worries. once the gooks start coming over the wire your gonna get overrun sooner or later. best not to be there in the first place. be somewheres else...

I'd rather go down fighting defending my home, versus running scared in a field or a forest.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:18:51 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

You amateur!!!

You're supposed to have ONE CALIBER handgun and a carbine of the SAME CALIBER so you only have to carry ONE KIND OF AMMO....sheesh...greenhands...
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:19:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Prepared?

Son, I've been praying for that day most of my adult life.

I honestly feel cheated that I missed out on Katrina.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:21:20 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I didn't even plan to be born.  How could I possibly plan for something like that?

rofl

posts like that are why I read threads like this
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:21:54 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Prepared?

Don't give up! It's coming soon, I believe. Not so much a catastrophe but, a Civil War of sorts. Too much tension between lebs and conservatives. Eventually it's gonna come to a head and explode. I'm just glad I belong to the group that likes guns.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:22:58 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Prepared?

Hahaha, move to Florida.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:23:55 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

I'd rather go down fighting defending my home, versus running scared in a field or a forest.  

You'll go down very quickly. If you want to live through a calamity then you need to be able to move quiclky taking with you only that which is necessary and use what is available to compensate for what you need.

Mobility+Adapatability=Survivability.

(I just made that up!)
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:40:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:42:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Bunker is ready for a Bug In.

Secondary Bunker is ready for Bug Out.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:20:00 PM EDT
[#36]
The 3 of us (bro, his wife, and I) have a neat little place (owned by my sis, who lives in the PRK) a few miles from us... 9 miles off the pavement... HUGE water tank... can't be seen from the nearest road unless you know just where to look.

Good point though... need to buy & fill several gas cans... it's a deeeep electric-powered well... He's LDS so he's got his food stuff together.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:32:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Generator - Check
Back-up Generator - Check
Solar - Check
Primary weapons - Check
Secondary weapons - Check
Handouts - Check
Ammunition and ammo caches - Check
Reliable, trusted persons to operate said weapons - Check
Fuel storage tanks - Check
Food - Check
Water - Check
Water filtration - Check
Water storage - Check
Water purification (chemical) - Check
Trained Medical Personel - Check
Medical supplies - Check
Bug-in Location - Check
Bug-out Location - Check
Alternate bug-out site - Check
Aircraft - Check
Ground transport - Check
Water transport - Check
Tools, spare parts and knowledge required to serivce modes of transport - Check
Toilet paper - Check
Deadwood, The Sopranos, The Wire, BSG, and complete DVD Librabry - Check.
Beer- Check
Popcorn - Check

Sheep
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:37:12 PM EDT
[#38]
to camp about 4  1/2 hours north of portland maine its so remote they dont even name the towns up there
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:40:46 PM EDT
[#39]
My MP company deployed to Biloxi, MS for Katrina relief.  Believe it or not, very few people were actually prepared, no food, no water, no gas, no ammo.  If you have to stockpile one thing, I would choose gas or diesel, we drove down from up north and the fuel started running out around TN.  If you have a working car, you can drive around and get food, water, ect.  One group that was prepared was the mormons, I stopped by a temple and there were 75 tents set up in the front yard.  The mens group leader had their ward organized and were handing out food, water and medecine.  

Our first patrol I stopped by an upscale neiborhood in a nearby city and the homeowners had walled it off and were guarding it with shotguns.  I nodded to them and they nodded back, those people who say you don't need a gun for defense will never be able to use that argument again.

The two things that were in great demand was gas and water.  But for a while, a lot of stuff was in short supply: batteries, dip, tobacco, beer, soda.  When I could find diet coke I would buy a couple cases.  It's a just in time world and without trucks dropping goods off every day everything runs short after a while.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:48:52 PM EDT
[#40]
From home I can walk to my airplane in 20 minutes and drive there in just over three. The plane is always fueled and the airport is uncontroled so I can leave at will. I have two destinations in the Idaho back country, one inhabited by friends the other uninhabited. In a true SHTF situation few others in the area will be able to get out by air as fast as I can if at all due to roads being gridlocked. I suspect my family would have it pretty easy. Running water at both locations. Supplies ready to go. I do need some good gas masks and that iodine for radiation poisoning. Planerench out.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:49:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:22:53 PM EDT
[#42]
I have enough guns and ammo to get everything else I will need.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:28:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Yup.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:31:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:32:02 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me too.

I'm still a novice, not a professional survivalist - but I hope to move up the ladder someday...

Same here. I'm working on it. I have the wife on board now too so that makes it easier.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:36:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Just got my Lula loader, and a new can opener.   I'm set.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:39:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Every one that's saying they need a generator also needs to look at long term and large gas/whatever the genny runs on

Katrina showed that

and a fully loaded Generator seems to use about 1-2 gallons an hour

Barry
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:40:56 PM EDT
[#48]
No matter how much you have, you can always refine.

Already working on ver. 2.0 of the BOB, and always trying to improve first aid preps. Food stocks are always being rotated.

Lots of good stuff in the SF if you haven't checked there yet.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:41:25 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I still have my y2k stash

+2000
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:43:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Looking at the Katrina example...
I am thinking the only thing bug-outtable (short of an airplane) would have been some dual purpose motorcycle. Good on gas, fast and you can go in the woods if needed.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top