Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2006 12:28:41 PM EDT
Hello, fellow geeks!

I'm looking to put together a soundtrack similar to the music heard in Tempest 2000 and the Wipeout series. The only artist I know with music like this is The Chemical Brothers. Guide me to more?

I don't want anything with lyrics or voice. Just thumping beats, up-tempo and heavy bass.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:31:31 PM EDT
[#1]
check out Vanishing Kids.

Vanishing Kids Press

"Martin Atkins captured the group at their most accessible, and gave The Selfish Mirror a full, polished sound by layering vocals and playing up vocal harmonies. The album is eual parts despair and synthesized beauty, making The Cure's Disintegration an obvious point of comparison, although its sound also owes much to Cocteau Twins' moody dream-pop and My Bloody Valentine's lush shoegaze. But more so than their influences, all three vocalists' personalities shine through."

[Core Weekly]

"Their songs are a pastiche of well-chosen influences, from The Cure and The Smiths to The Pixies and Cocteau Twins, yet the retro slant never seems forced or affected."

[The Isthmus]

"Vanishing Kids rock it. They're tight recorded, they're tight live, and they house my new favorite guitar idol ever, Nikki Drohomyreky, who plays odd, dark note progressions, with skill and ease. The quartet is surprising, because they play familiar sound--murky, thick, and deceptively elaborate, goth-ISH rock with spikes--yet their actual melodies are unpredictable. And, you know, they have this on-stage presence--aloof; not pretentious, but worldly."

[The Portland Mercury]

"...The Rose City quartet's dark songs and hairspray-eruption aesthetic exhumes the finest moments of Siouxsie and the Banshees, early Cure and Bat Cave glamour..."

[Willamette Week]

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:33:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry, not familiar with either of those games.

However, an acquaintance used to be a DJ in the Philadelphia area.  He has several excellent hard trance/progressive mixes available for free download on his website.  Check it out.  I like his Live in Philadelphia mix the best.

DJ Rezin's website

He currently owns a motorcycle accessory shop in Bristol PA and is a (retired) Marine, to boot.

You may also like some of the stuff by DJ Johnny Monsoon.  He is also a gun owner.  You can download his mixes for free as well.

Johnny Monsoon's website
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:40:27 PM EDT
[#3]
PS

If you like the above, I think you will love the Euphoria series (made in the UK, by Telstar).  Unfortunately they are expensive as hell because they are imports but they have some of the best trance/club mixes around.  Check amazon.com but don't be surprised if you see these sets going for $30-40 per 2 disc set (with a 2-3 week wait, to boot).  

I like the following mixes from the Euphoria series:

- PF Project:  A Higher State of Euphoria

- Matt Darey:  Pure Euphoria

- Dave Pearce:  Ibiza Euphoria, Total Euphoria, Absolute Euphoria, True Euphoria.  (nb - I forget which one it is, but either Total or True Euphoria is a bit weak.  Not "throw in the trash" weak, but not as good as the rest of Dave's work.)

- John '00' Fleming - White Box Euphoria, Level 2

There are some newer Euphoria mixes that just came out ... I picked up a few on my last trip to London but I'm still going through them.  I'm currently listening to Beyond Euphoria which was mixed by DT8 Project (Darren Tate).

More from the trance front would be anything by Paul van Dyk.  He's an excellent DJ, with mostly original material (as opposed to just remixing other peoples's stuff).  It's not all full-out club material, but excellent all the same.  I haven't heard his most recent offering (The Politics of Dancing 2) but I plan to buy it.  

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:48:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Well I have to say jthuang your on to something. DJ Rezin's stuff is pretty good.

(Sorry for hijack)
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:52:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Well I have to say jthuang your on to something. DJ Rezin's stuff is pretty good.

(Sorry for hijack)

I envy your connection speed if you've been able to download any of that already!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:53:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:53:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Sven Vath
Digweeg
Sasha
Ritchie Hawtin
Mauro Picotto
Dave Clarke

I have seen all of these guys live.  If you are looking for thumping bass check them out.

By the way, I despise the Chemical Bros.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:24:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
- Dave Pearce:  Ibiza Euphoria, Total Euphoria, Absolute Euphoria, True Euphoria.  (nb - I forget which one it is, but either Total or True Euphoria is a bit weak.  Not "throw in the trash" weak, but not as good as the rest of Dave's work.)

I just checked.  Total Euphoria is the good one; I'd avoid True Euphoria (all else being equal).
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:29:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Originally he said he was thinking of selling the CDs but after he got a few quotes from the companies he said he'd be making some paltry sum like $3/CD so he said "forget it" and put everything up on his website for free.

I keep telling him that he should make more ... he's got a lot of talent.  More money in the motorcycle shop business, I guess.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:35:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

DJ Rezin's website

He currently owns a motorcycle accessory shop in Bristol PA and is a (retired) Marine, to boot.

Is that Road Rash Bike Parts by any chance? Thanks for the links.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:38:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Paul Oakenfold

G
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:39:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

(Sorry for hijack)

I envy your connection speed if you've been able to download any of that already!

HEHE....
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:42:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Wow.

Partway through Rezin's Belltower.  I'm impressed.  T1 line here, so I need to DL the rest of his collection.

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:55:55 PM EDT
[#14]
One word

FLUKE

I would start with Absurd - but I love their whole catalog.

ETA - I also LOVE:
Underworld
Fatboy Slim
Prodigy
Overseer
Wiseguys
Propellerheads
Crystal Method
Daft Punk
Lo Fidelty All Stars

And Mirwais is who did the music during the rabbit run in Snatch
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:10:15 PM EDT
[#15]
the music from the rabbit chase seen fron Snatch is one of my favorites
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:13:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Oakenfold is a huge faggy sissy.

His music blows also.  Full of male vocals and gay shit.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:19:38 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Who the in the fuck asked you?

I dont like hiphop, country, pop, etc but you dont see me talkin shit about them and trying to trash threads.

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:30:45 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Thank you for your informed comment, sir.  I suppose that one who listens to the lyrics of a dance song so closely should be well versed in what is gay and what is not.

G
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:38:59 PM EDT
[#19]
LOL, with a topic title like this, I've got to post the "quote"

"If video games influcened children, kids that grew up in the 80’s playing pac-man would have spent the 90’s in darkened rooms, dancing around to techno-music and eating magic pills."
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:56:30 PM EDT
[#20]
On the same topic, I've been trying to hunt down the soundtrack to an old Mac game called Battle Girl, and have had zero luck.  The game shipped with all of the in-game music as CD audio format on the disc.

Anyone have any ideas?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:04:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:08:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 5:10:29 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

DJ Rezin's website

No, his store is called Trick Tape.  They are a smaller outfit but can get you pretty much anything.  They are the nearest stocking Vanson leather dealer for miles around.  They also sponsor a mc-oriented discussion forum called cycleforums.com.

I think Road Rash Bike Parts is out near Pittsburgh?  
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:31:52 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

DJ Rezin's website

No, his store is called Trick Tape.  They are a smaller outfit but can get you pretty much anything.  They are the nearest stocking Vanson leather dealer for miles around.  They also sponsor a mc-oriented discussion forum called cycleforums.com.

I think Road Rash Bike Parts is out near Pittsburgh?  

I'll check out Rezin's cycle site.  I couldn't find anything about location on Road Rash's page.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top