Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2006 9:40:54 AM EDT
Inspired by this thread.

My area has a lot of dogs running loose.  IMO When the SHTF the feral doggie situation will only become worse... a possible canine nightmare of large packs wreaking havoc!?  

Tell us about your feral dog encounters.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:15:56 PM EDT
[#1]
anybody?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 3:22:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I knew a guy about 15 years ago that had a problem with a pack of wild dogs on his grandmother's farm. Let's just say that 14 dogs went to doggie heaven that day.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:11:26 PM EDT
[#3]
In Saudi Arabia our bomb dump was infested with a pack of feral dogs.  They subsisted on garbage in the dumpsters and by what the bored SP's gave them to eat.  These dogs were nasty, skanky, mangy, and mean.  No way in hell I would even try to touch or pet one.  By themselves they were pretty meek but we had an inventory crew get chased up on top of a stack of bombs by a pack of about 5 or 6 one day.  They couldn't get to their truck to radio for help so after a few hours we sent somebody out to see WTF was going on.  As soon as the recon vehicle approached the dogs took off.  These guys got razzed for the rest of the week but I don't blame them.  Nasty, nasty, nasty creatures.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:16:51 PM EDT
[#4]
In Jax, FL you will see a lot of Pit Bulls, Rotties, etc.  walking around with no coller, no owner, etc, I haven't seen a pack though...

Some people think their man-points go up having a bad-a$$ dog, but most have little or no ability to actually take responsibility for taking care of it...
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:31:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Back in 1982 I was living and working in Antofagasta, Chile (about half way between Santiago and the northern tip of the country).  Antofagasta is a port city that hosts oil refinaries and all kinds of ship-bound commerce.  At the time, I was running 4-5 miles a night.  I really liked to run along the beach and had discovered a shortcut through a refinary area that would get me out to the coast quicker.

South America is infested with wild dogs and Chile is no exception.  One night (probably 9:00 PMish) I was jogging through a very industrial, very deserted/desolate portion of the refinary tank farm when a pack of very agressive feral dogs saw me and took up chase.

I shit you not, I was seriously afraid for my life...

I happened upon a rather large mound/pile of broken asphalt/dirt/rocks and quickly scrambled up seeking higher ground.  I immediately started picking up chunks of asphalt and rock, started throwing at the dogs and commenced yelling like a wild man.  After hitting a couple of dogs and causing some damage they backed way off.  I grabbed more rocks and ran like hell.

Even though it was more than 20 years ago, I still have pretty vivid memories of that night...
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:44:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Back in 1982 I was living and working in Antofagasta, Chile (about half way between Santiago and the northern tip of the country).  Antofagasta is a port city that hosts oil refinaries and all kinds of ship-bound commerce.  At the time, I was running 4-5 miles a night.  I really liked to run along the beach and had discovered a shortcut through a refinary area that would get me out to the coast quicker.

South America is infested with wild dogs and Chile is no exception.  One night (probably 9:00 PMish) I was jogging through a very industrial, very deserted/desolate portion of the refinary tank farm when a pack of very agressive feral dogs saw me and took up chase.

I shit you not, I was seriously afraid for my life...

I happened upon a rather large mound/pile of broken asphalt/dirt/rocks and quickly scrambled up seeking higher ground.  I immediately started picking up chunks of asphalt and rock, started throwing at the dogs and commenced yelling like a wild man.  After hitting a couple of dogs and causing some damage they backed way off.  I grabbed more rocks and ran like hell.

Even though it was more than 20 years ago, I still have pretty vivid memories of that night...

I have a CCW, and carry while walking, and also carry a sharp long bamboo stick, to deal with unruly animals more than people... (Had to poke an agressive dog once, of course owner of dog nowhere to be seen)...
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:39:03 PM EDT
[#7]
The only actually draw down I have to do was on a dog. It wasn't feral, just some dumbass's Rottie running around loose.  I was coming into my shop first thing one morning and I always entered in the side door.  As I came around the corner he was in the back where I kept the parts bikes [ motorcycle/atv repair shop ] and I had inadvertently trapped him in the back. I dropped my money bag and breakfast and drew down expecting him to charge. He came a couple of paces toward me and then turned right and took off up the bank and off toward some houses. Another pace or so and shots would have been heading his way.

rj
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:15:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The only actually draw down I have to do was on a dog. It wasn't feral, just some dumbass's Rottie running around loose.  I was coming into my shop first thing one morning and I always entered in the side door.  As I came around the corner he was in the back where I kept the parts bikes [ motorcycle/atv repair shop ] and I had inadvertently trapped him in the back. I dropped my money bag and breakfast and drew down expecting him to charge. He came a couple of paces toward me and then turned right and took off up the bank and off toward some houses. Another pace or so and shots would have been heading his way.

rj

You should have do us all a favor and killed that idiot's dog.  

I too live in Jax and I can't stand all the "canadians" around here buying pits, rotties, and sometimes dobermans, and then not taking care to keep them put up, especially pits.  I think they should be kept for attack dogs, guard dogs of certian places, and for fighting, but not as pets.  Even if they didn't mean to bite the kid when they got startled, they still did, and they still will when they get spooked.  It's in their nature.  I long for the opportunity to kill them.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:39:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Shot one once.  It died.  

Actually had a friend hit a very large Buck while bow hunting and a pack of dogs chased it across the county.  A game warden found it (the deer) in a creek three days later.  Sad because it was a very big buck.

The friend waited for an hour to track the deer and the dogs found it first.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:45:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Dont have any stories myself, but my buddy came back from Iraq and he said he had to shoot a few. Disease carrying from gnawing on dead bodies-not ours, and they would give away their positions alot whilst moving into an area where it needed to be quiet.

He hated doing it as an avid dog lover, but hey....
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:45:34 PM EDT
[#11]
ex and I lived in Colorado for a few years, had a mini ranch, goats, horses, chickens etc..
one morning while feeding the live stock I notice we seem to be missing a few chickens,,
3 or 4,
I begin looking for them, kept them free range and they tended to nest and leave eggs where we couldnt find them, of course the main reason to have chickens..so it wasnt uncommon for one or two to be off somewhere..

so I find 2 ripped up carcasses out by the fence line,,the barn was a good distance from the house, and we never heard a thing
As it was rapidly approaching KID season for my goats and I could not have foxes or coyotes taking out the cash crop guess i had to do something..

that night I put the childran to bed, kissed the wife, bundled up and went and sat in the feed room with my 12 ga and 45.

around 1am the chickens begin a rucus,,
'I go into the coop.
and there are 2 dogs in there cornering a bird..
they see me and out the small door they go,,

I follow behind through the bigger door and there are 5 BIG damn dogs in the yard...I open up with my 12 and took out 2, the others scattered. shotgun jamed, (actually it broke) dropped it and followed up with the .45 and killed another on the fly and belive i hit the 4th, blood spoor the next morning.....
4 got away, never to be seen again. neighbors of course started calling woke up the wife, kids, all hell broke loose yada yada,,2 of the neighbors, said they had the same problem and had called the sheriff to take care of them,,,of course they didnt..not thier job but all were amazed they were dogs
we had foxes and coyotes in the area, figured they would be the only problem.
2 of the dead had collars, grown into the skin of their throats, obvious runaways that out grew thier collars...it was sad of course I had to explain to 3 little boys why Daddy was shooting dogs...and were concerned I was going to shoot thiers too....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top