Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2006 12:21:35 AM EDT
Any one have one?  I just ordered one for my future step son.  He damn well better appreciate it!!!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:30:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Overpriced in my opinion.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:30:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Apart from the fact that I cannot afford one I'm really waiting to see what the big secret is about the the Nintendo Revolution and I have a lot of faith in the Playstation 3.  

Granted, I want all three.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:40:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I agree that it is over priced.  Actually, the stuff is getting rediculous.  I was ecstatic with a $20 bike when I was a kid and now there are fist fights breaking out over $500 video games.  What ever happened to kids riding their bikes, playing kickball in the cul-de-sac, playing catch with the neighborhood kids?  Oh yeah, it is too dangerous.  We must turn the children into overfed, overweight, fat lazy video game playing couch potatoes for their own safety.  I give it another 60 years and then the young adults will be too lazy to screw and make any more kids.  It will be take out babies from the local test tube breederie.....   But, I rant...

Any way, it is his 21st birthday and his mother and I will split the cost.  He is a hard worker and a good "kid" It was worth it to me for us to buy it.  He does so much to help out his older brother that he doesn't do for himself a lot of the time.  Because of that, I feel he earned it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:42:06 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I agree that it is over priced.  Actually, the stuff is getting rediculous.  I was ecstatic with a $20 bike when I was a kid and now there are fist fights breaking out over $500 video games.  What ever happened to kids riding their bikes, playing kickball in the cul-de-sac, playing catch with the neighborhood kids?  Oh yeah, it is too dangerous.  We must turn the children into overfed, overweight, fat lazy video game playing couch potatoes for their own safety.  I give it another 60 years and then the young adults will be too lazy to screw and make any more kids.  It will be take out babies from the local test tube breederie.....   But, I rant...

Video games are for kids?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:44:11 AM EDT
[#5]
My little brother is currently on his 4th one.  He has had to send it back prior due to currupt hard drives and over-heating problems.

IMHO it's a POS

Wait for the PS3

Just my .02
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:54:12 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
My little brother is currently on his 4th one.  He has had to send it back prior due to currupt hard drives and over-heating problems.

IMHO it's a POS

Wait for the PS3

Just my .02

The gen 1's had a overheating problem.  This is a gen 3 with all the problems cured (I hope)  That is one of the reasons we waited til his birthday instead of Christmas.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:59:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes.

I have one.

Thanks to CousinIT!

My kids love it, and kill each other...over and over...Badge of Honor? or some game like that.

They ARE learning about guns...
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:15:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Suckers!  My son is getting them for $300 and selling them on ebay for $500+.  His school loans will be paid off this month thanks to the starry eyed goobers that "need" the latest mind fuck.

Just like the natives that traded their lands for shiney baubbles.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:25:20 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Suckers!  My son is getting them for $300 and selling them on ebay for $500+.  His school loans will be paid off this month thanks to the starry eyed goobers that "need" the latest mind fuck.

Just like the natives that traded their lands for shiney baubbles.

$300?  Perhaps for a core system.  But, the Wal-mart online price for the premium is $579.  I got it for 499 + 24 S+H.  Ebay core systems were right at 400 and premium systems were going up to 800.  I found a guy that got several premium systems (dealer) and was selling @499.  So, based on availability, comparative price, and getting entirely frustrated with going into stores in 13 different states in the last 8 days and finding nothing, I finally bought this one.  And yes, I stopped at malls, wal marts, best buys, circuit cities, game stores and wherever I could to look for the damn thing.  I could find tons of games and accessories, but no one had systems.  I was going entirely but am now
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:34:20 AM EDT
[#10]
All I know is that when Dead Rising comes out, I get a 360.

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:35:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:36:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:40:43 AM EDT
[#13]
i have one hooked up to my hdtv big screen. it kicks ass ! simply the best system out right now.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:51:59 AM EDT
[#14]
I need a  new HD TV when I get my 360
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:40:52 AM EDT
[#15]
In my opinion, there are no great games out for the 360 yet.  Madden 06 is actually worse on the 360.  When they start pumping out some good games I might buy one depending on how far away the PS3 is.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:50:45 AM EDT
[#16]
The system is awesome. It is really a centerpiece to your entertainment now. It can hook up to your tivo, your computer, hell I can even hook it to my PSP. You can watch movies on it. You can chat with people while you are watching a movie. You get a gamertag, and get a gamerscore - which really gets addicting. I am over 3000 on my gamer score already. There is also cool downloads in the marketplace for avatars and an online arcade where you can download neat retro type arcade games for a fee.

The gameplay is much better than xbox. take for example Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon 2: SS. It looks twice as good on the 360 because the 360 can handle it. It is true that the games have not been developed to their full potential, yet. But give it time.

I have not had one problem with mine - I got it the day before christmas and I play it 4-8 hours a day. No overheating, no problems whatsoever.

It is a great gaming system and the added interativity features can't be beat.

PS3 has been postponed again, and I doubt that they will have the Gamertag/Friendslist infrastructure that Microsoft has developed.

Who gives a shit about nintendo anymore. Their market is mostly kids. Even their gameboy sucks. Psp blows it away.

But rumor has it Microsoft is coming out with their own portable that will hook into your xboxlive account and if they do, say goodbye to nintendos and sonys handhelds.

I also wanted to add that I just started renting the 360 games from a company called games n flix. For 12 bucks a month you get unlimited game rentals just like a Netflix. Even though I can get games at wholesale, I still think 12 bucks a month is killer - especially because there are alot of games you would never want to buy, but might like to try.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:17:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Stormtrooper, have you tried the star wars game?  It is supposed to be great.  (I don't play games, but might start now)
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:26:07 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Overpriced in my opinion.

360 HW:
1. Support for DVD-video, DVD-Rom, DVD-R/RW, CD-DA, CD-Rom, CD-R, CD-RW, WMA CD, MP3 cd, JPEG photo CD
2. All games supported at 16:9, 720p and 1080i, anti-aliasing
3. Customizable face plates to change appearance
4. 3 USB 2.0 ports
5. Support for 4 wireless controllers
6. Detachable 20GB drive
7. Wi-Fi ready

Custom IBM PowerPC-based CPU
- 3 symmetrical cores at 3.2 GHz each  - <   3 3.2 ghz processers
- 2 hardware threads per core
- 1 VMX-128 vector unit per core
- 1 MB L2 cache

CPU Game Math Performance
- 9 billion dots per second

Custom ATI Graphics Processor
- 500 MNz
- 10 MB embedded DRAM
- 48-way parallel floating-point shader pipelines
- unified shader architecture

Memory
-512 MB GDDR3 RAM
- 700 MNz DDR

Memory Bandwidth
- 22.4 GB/s memory interface bus bandwidth
- 256 GB/s memory bandwidth to EDRAM
- 21.6 GB/s frontside bus

Audio
- Mulitchannel surround sond output
- Supports 48khz 16-bit audio
- 320 independent decompression channels
- 32 bit processing
- 256+ audio channels

all this for $400 bucks with wireless controllers and hard drive and its overpriced?

wait till you see the prices for the ps3 rumors are that it will cost in excess of 600 dollars
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:27:04 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
$300?  Perhaps for a core system.  But, the Wal-mart online price for the premium is $579.  I got it for 499 + 24 S+H.  Ebay core systems were right at 400 and premium systems were going up to 800.  I found a guy that got several premium systems (dealer) and was selling @499.  So, based on availability, comparative price, and getting entirely frustrated with going into stores in 13 different states in the last 8 days and finding nothing, I finally bought this one.  And yes, I stopped at malls, wal marts, best buys, circuit cities, game stores and wherever I could to look for the damn thing.  I could find tons of games and accessories, but no one had systems.  I was going entirely but am now

$600 for the premium system?!?!

$400 for a core system?!?!

SCREW THAT! I'm stayin with my $150 (and even then it was stupid expensive; I had to wait until it was on sale to justify it!) regular Xbox!

There's no way I'm paying more than $150 for a game console that is not only NOT fully backwards compatible, but still suffers from a lack of decent controllers! (nothing beats a mouse and keyboard, or similar type contols, for first-person and other games)..
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:29:23 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
The system is awesome. It is really a centerpiece to your entertainment now. It can hook up to your tivo, your computer, hell I can even hook it to my PSP. You can watch movies on it. You can chat with people while you are watching a movie. You get a gamertag, and get a gamerscore - which really gets addicting. I am over 3000 on my gamer score already. There is also cool downloads in the marketplace for avatars and an online arcade where you can download neat retro type arcade games for a fee.

The gameplay is much better than xbox. take for example Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon 2: SS. It looks twice as good on the 360 because the 360 can handle it. It is true that the games have not been developed to their full potential, yet. But give it time.

I have not had one problem with mine - I got it the day before christmas and I play it 4-8 hours a day. No overheating, no problems whatsoever.

It is a great gaming system and the added interativity features can't be beat.

PS3 has been postponed again, and I doubt that they will have the Gamertag/Friendslist infrastructure that Microsoft has developed.

Who gives a shit about nintendo anymore. Their market is mostly kids. Even their gameboy sucks. Psp blows it away.

But rumor has it Microsoft is coming out with their own portable that will hook into your xboxlive account and if they do, say goodbye to nintendos and sonys handhelds.

I also wanted to add that I just started renting the 360 games from a company called games n flix. For 12 bucks a month you get unlimited game rentals just like a Netflix. Even though I can get games at wholesale, I still think 12 bucks a month is killer - especially because there are alot of games you would never want to buy, but might like to try.

Not to mention downloading demos to games is pretty damn cool...

my favorite one so far is fight night the demo is awsome my friend fired it up and then after the match started he was so blown away by the graphics he had no idea he was actually already playing the game
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:31:42 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

$600 for the premium system?!?!

$400 for a core system?!?!

SCREW THAT! I'm stayin with my $150 (and even then it was stupid expensive; I had to wait until it was on sale to justify it!) regular Xbox!

There's no way I'm paying more than $150 for a game console that is not only NOT fully backwards compatible, but still suffers from a lack of decent controllers! (nothing beats a mouse and keyboard, or similar type contols, for first-person and other games)..

that must be in canadian or something wal-mart has the premium at 400

www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4103879
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:37:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:45:13 AM EDT
[#23]
If you have a HD TV the 360 rocks.  The new Fight Night came out yesterday and it looks REAL and plays pretty good too.  Even the fights online are cool.

in TWO weeks the new Ghost Recon comes out and then everyone will be saying PSwHaT

For those who know........They know
For those who don't..............Stick to your PONG machine..
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:47:15 AM EDT
[#24]
My Bro got his on Tuesday or Wensday of last week & it's already shot craps.
I'm wating for the Nintendo  Revolution.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:47:42 AM EDT
[#25]
i have one and like it, got it at best buy for 399 for  a premium, although there is not really any games that i like yet, there are about 15 availible or so

the diffrence between the old xbox and new one are amazing, on the latest fight night, round three you can see sweat and individule hairs on the boxers,

i pretty much got the system for military shooters like ghost recon, so i am waiting untill next month to get any games, for now i am just renting some,

is it worth it, maybe, its all in the eye of the beholder, for example i dont think that a Colt ar15 is worth twice than a RRA.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:58:05 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
i have one and like it, got it at best buy for 399 for  a premium, although there is not really any games that i like yet, there are about 15 availible or so

the diffrence between the old xbox and new one are amazing, on the latest fight night, round three you can see sweat and individule hairs on the boxers,

i pretty much got the system for military shooters like ghost recon, so i am waiting untill next month to get any games, for now i am just renting some,

is it worth it, maybe, its all in the eye of the beholder, for example i dont think that a Colt ar15 is worth twice than a RRA.

I don't think a colt ar15 is worth half of a RRA...

Well, we will find out when buster brown delivers it....
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:43:09 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
All I know is that when Dead Rising comes out, I get a 360.

img162.imageshack.us/img162/4448/deadrisingbloodbath20060217020.jpg

img59.imageshack.us/img59/3679/deadrisingbloodbath20060217023.jpg

img162.imageshack.us/img162/1843/deadrisingbloodbath20060217021.jpg

The trailors from that game are pretty damm sweet aswell.I hve one but only 1 game *Dead or Alive*I`m not into sports games or 1st person games either.But soon as that Dead Rising hits,I will own it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:09:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:16:23 AM EDT
[#29]
I had mine since it first came out and no problems so far.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:19:03 AM EDT
[#30]
I have an XBox 360 and the biggest complaint I have had with it is the games.  I have really enjoyed many of the games that I have played, but in my opinion they are too short.  

I have beaten Gun, Perfect Dark Zero, Call of Duty 2, Kameo, and Condemned.  I have pretty much gotten to the point that I can beat anything in Tiger Woods.  Madden has been a huge disappointment and it was not as good as the XBox version.  There are a number of games coming out in March that I am interested in.

I have a big screen HDTV and the graphics are great.  I have no regrets buying the system (I paid retail price and did not have to pay the ridiculous EBay prices), but I think that they released it too soon.  They could have easily waiten until sometime in the first quarter of this year to release it and at that point, there would be much more games available and they could have worked some of the bugs out of the release games.  I know that this would have caused them to miss the Christmas rush, but honestly, I don't think it would have made that much of a difference because they still would have had a high demand.  The games are not very kid friendly, so if you have any worries about playing the system around children or letting children play, you may have some difficulty finding appropriate games.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:28:30 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I have an XBox 360 and the biggest complaint I have had with it is the games.  I have really enjoyed many of the games that I have played, but in my opinion they are too short.  

Biggest complaint.

No damn games to play right now.

The lack of current games is really holding the system back.  Many games have also been postponed indefinitely!

So currently my 360 is a very expensive (albiet not a great) DVD player.

We do get lots of use out of it for the Halo 2 lan parties  
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:39:35 AM EDT
[#32]
like xbox or not this is pretty cool

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:46:09 AM EDT
[#33]
I always  love the people who say the 360 is expensive and the Ps3 will have SUCH BETTER FEATURES.

Well, after reading an interview with one of the makers of the Ps3, they have actually gutted their concept/prototype version. The xbox has more processing power for General coding which is 80% of games, and the Ps3 on has more processing power on Special code which is the other 20%.

The Ps3 was supposed to be able to run dual monitors in 1080p, oh, wait they cut 1080p out too now, so they are back at 720p just like the xbox, and if it runs the dual monitors it will cut your resolution in half because it doesnt have the graphics processing power to run dual monitors at 720p.

Hate to break this to you as well, but the PSX online gaming community is garbage and microsoft has a HUGE lead in that respect.

Sorry, but the Ps3 looked good to begin with and I was all for it until I started reading interviews with the people at sony.

Then I bought a 360...
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:50:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Yes, fight night does look like that.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 8:58:41 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Wait for the PS3

That may be a long wait…

Reports this week came out saying the PS3 would be delayed 6 months to 1 year and the price could approach $900

Sony promptly issued a non-denial denial that said the PS3 would be released this spring UNLESS there was a delay over some unresolved technical issues. Unresolved technical issues on a product that is to be released next quarter… that is not encouraging.

Sony did not even mention the rumored $900 price… no denial on that is scary.

It appears Sony is on the verge of destroying the PS market.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:02:37 AM EDT
[#36]
well, if they are going to include a blu ray player, that would definitely jack the price up, although I doubt they will even do that anymore.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:03:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:16:17 AM EDT
[#38]
while i like both systems,  i am going to stick with microsoft just based on the compnies preformence, company wise, i feel that MS is nuch stonger and has a better grasp of the market.

i mean MS is selling the 360 at a loss, and making it back on xbox live, thats crazy, by the time the ps3 hits the cost of the xbox360 will come down and the sony will look that much more expensive..  I am not sure if sony will be able to do the same thing based on their online community

also it appears a lot of decent games are comming in the next month or so, i think that to get the Xmas rush, things were rushed and the game developers had to put out a sub par product

if ps3 can be had for around 300-400 dollars ill pick on up, otherwise ill just stick with the box
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:17:31 AM EDT
[#39]
I just read a story talking about how the PS3 manufacturing price is likely to approach the $900 amount mentioned already.  Even if they sell them for no profit, I don't see the PS3 having the same market as the XBox 360, which does not necessarily bode well for their games.

For any games that are released only to one platform, I think that it will be much easier for XBox to get these games because they have more platforms out there.

I own both a PS2 and an XBox, but I think that the XBox is a better system.  There is only really one game that I would buy the PS3 for, and I am willing to forgo that game to save $900.  I think that Sony is making a major mistake if they think that they are going to be able to match the XBox 360 if they have a price that is over 2x the price of the XBox.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:19:52 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I own both a PS2 and an XBox, but I think that the XBox is a better system.  There is only really one game that I would buy the PS3 for, and I am willing to forgo that game to save $900.  I think that Sony is making a major mistake if they think that they are going to be able to match the XBox 360 if they have a price that is over 2x the price of the XBox.

I think ya'll are missing the point.  Just because it may cost $900 to manufacture, Sony will sell it at a loss to capture market share.

I'm sure they'll stick to the guns to keep the game system at $350 - $500 range like the X360.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:24:17 AM EDT
[#41]
civ,

i feel the same way as you do, since most major games like fightnight, Madden, Ncaa Football, ghost recon and rainbow six are on all platforms, why would i spend twice the amount as an xbox to play a couple unique games like navy seals: soccom,  im sure it will be good, but not 500-900 dollar system good

in the same token, games like halo are only availible for the box so that issue is equil

all in all i think even if the games can be a little better on the PS3, i feel that the online expierience will more than make up for it
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:27:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:30:09 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think ya'll are missing the point.  Just because it may cost $900 to manufacture, Sony will sell it at a loss to capture market share.

I'm sure they'll stick to the guns to keep the game system at $350 - $500 range like the X360.

I agree, Sony is not going to price its unit too much more than the 360.  Maybe a hair more as long as it does have Blue Ray.  But then again, maybe they will release several versions of their system also, possibly one with out BR.

Blue Ray is Sony's special weapon.  With or without it, they are going to do well due to their HUGE fanboy base here in the states and the fact that the PS completely owns the foreign market period.

But, the 360 is doing very well with the home theater types right now.  If Sony comes in with Blue ray right off the bat, folks will be buying that system up as well.  It will probably be the cheapest BR player on the market for the first year atleast.

Oh well, I want both  

Maybe, but at a $900 price point, I could buy a $500 xbox premium and a good Blu-ray player for $400....and I would have the best of both worlds.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:30:51 AM EDT
[#44]
I got one or the premiums w/ the hard drive at target  

Played call of duty 2  beat it  going through and beating harder missions now  also like the deathmatch version for 2 player

condemed criminal intent is great  kinda like resident evil but alot easier to play  alota fun

need for speed is great too    very realistic  great soundtrack and actually uses actors for the cheracters
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:45:24 AM EDT
[#45]
I've had an Xbox 360 since launch day (preordered it from gamestop.com a few months early).  When I first got it, I played on a regular TV.  It was better than the old Xbox, but not that much.  A few weeks later I got a 50" HDTV.  Way better than anything I've ever seen before.  I used to be a big fan of PC gaming over console gaming, but the XBox 360 combined with an HDTV has really changed my mind.  I've had no problems whatsoever with crashing or anything like that.  IMO, that was a problem that was blown way out of proportion by people who were jealous that they couldn't find an Xbox 360 in stores.  I'm sure there were people who had problems, but the vast majority worked fine.

Not only does it have great graphics, but there are some cool features that really make it a solid all-around system, such as the ability to turn on and off using the wireless controller without having to get up and walk to the system.  Or the ability to stream music from your computer or iPod while playing games.  I love playing Call of Duty 2 with some good rock music blasting.

I ordered Fight Night Round 3 yesterday and I have Ghost Recon and Elder Scrolls on preorder, I can't wait to try those out.  Call of Duty 2 is a great game, so are Perfect Dark Zero and Project Gotham Racing 3.  The sports games this year are a little feature-lacking, but their graphics are all awesome.  Next year's, I'm sure, will combine great graphics and features.

I love my Xbox 360.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 10:06:44 AM EDT
[#46]
i'm waiting on the holodeck 1080. .. but i hear its gonna be real expensive and you have to dedicate a whole room in your house just for the system.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:24:54 AM EDT
[#47]
i just put one on layaway at wal-mart, i work in the electronics dpt part-time, lucky me, i looked on ebay and the premiums are going for well over 500 dollars, so the questions is do i sell it and buy another one or waht we are getting 2 about every other week
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top