Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/22/2006 8:48:19 PM EDT
Google is not my friend tonight.  It is a fiend with too many sites trying to sell THEIR products.  

I need good advice.  In addition to the good folks here, where else could I go to get answers to the following?  

For a 1 ton GM and wanting quiet effective brakes:
OEM or Ceramic pads?
OEM or Slotted rotors?

Where to buy the parts?

Thanks.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:06:51 PM EDT
[#1]
A phone call to the dealer service rep or a machine shop might be in order. Alldata.com might be worth a subscription if you do much work yourself. Sorry can't help more than that.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:59:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Organic pads would be less noise, but shorter wear, and more brake fade.

Ceramic pads squeak a little more, but a lot better over all performance.

Make sure you grease all required points on the caliper.

OEM rotors are fine, slotted only help if you're running a race track at over 100 mph for an extended period of time.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:14:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Papertargets: is your friend hauling anything? Drives in mountains?

I have Raybestos Quiet Stop linings on my minivan.  It is pretty quiet, but it is expensive and they last only about 15-20,000 miles.  The only reason I have them on my vehicle is because I got a lifetime warranty that includes wear on mine.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 12:20:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Get in the zone dude.  Try auto zone.  I recommend the ceramic for safety reasons.  Use disc brake quiet on the back of the pad plate to help reduce squeeking.  Get the rotor miked and turned if possible.  There is no reason to replace the rotor if not worn too thin.  Go with OEM if you have to replace.  The slots are only for cooling and only necessary if towing in hilly/mountainous terrain or racing.  Also, the ceramics will hold up to heat better any way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top