BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/22/2006 4:45:52 PM EDT

---------------------------------------------
www.fox11az.com
Target-practice dog is getting better

11:52 AM MST on Wednesday, February 22, 2006
By Becky Pallack / Arizona Daily Star

A dog authorities say was used as target practice has nearly recovered from the attack, as authorities continue to gather more evidence in the case.

Detectives have said the male pit-bull mix, dubbed "Bullet," suffered at least five gunshot wounds when someone shot him around Dec. 26 in the Redington Pass recreation area.

Since then, detectives with the Animal Cruelty Taskforce of Southern Arizona made one arrest, but charges were dropped.

They also searched a suspect's home earlier this month and seized five guns, but more ballistics testing will be required to link them to the crime. No new charges have been filed.

Bullet, who had been impounded as evidence since he was rescued by a dirt-bike rider, soon may be up for adoption at the Humane Society of Southern Arizona, said Marsh Myers, a Taskforce spokesman.

Although there are still bullet fragments in his body, Bullet's medical condition is stable and veterinarians have determined it would be easier on the dog to allow the bullets to work their way out of his body rather than operating on the 2-year-old dog.

"We were hoping to have him up for adoption sooner, but we had some concerns about his temperament," Myers said. "Because of what he had gone through, obviously he was having some issues, especially around adult men and … smaller animals, being very aggressive toward them."

The Humane Society placed Bullet into an intensive behavior-modification program with a local dog trainer, who on Monday told Myers the dog is doing well and not showing aggression, he said.

There still is an open animal-cruelty investigation in Bullet's case.

The owner of the dog, Justin Daniel Curren, 19, was arrested on suspicion of felony animal cruelty on Jan. 4, but the charge was dismissed that night. A judge told detectives they needed to provide more evidence, Myers said at the time.

A search-warrant affidavit shows detectives believe one or more people shot the dog "for no particular reason."

On Feb. 10, detectives following new leads searched a house in the 3900 block of East Fairmont Street, near East Speedway and North Alvernon Way.

Detectives seized three handguns, a long gun, a rifle, containers of cartridges and a box of fireworks, according to an inventory list filed in Pima County Superior Court. They could not be reached for comment about the evidence on Tuesday.

Anyone with information about the shooting is asked to call 911 or 88-CRIME, the anonymous tip line of the Pima County Attorney's Office. A $1,000 reward is offered for information that leads to an arrest and indictment.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:47:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you really need a reason to shoot a pit? Aim better next time and use a bigger gun.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:52:20 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Do you really need a reason to shoot a pit? Aim better next time and use a bigger gun.

+1 IBFTPBLCI

In Before The PitBull Lovers Chime In

No use for that dog. Sorry.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:43:40 PM EDT
[#3]
This is about as bad as trying to kill a dog or cat with a .22LR to the forehead for whatever reason.

If your're going to put down an animal, use a friggin 12 gauge and #4 shot from 10ft and be done with it.  

Regardless of the animal, using it for "fun and games" and target practice is a bunch of bullshit.  I hope the evil do-ers get buttfucked while in jail by a guy with a 12 incher and AIDS.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:45:09 PM EDT
[#4]
So some dumbass wanted to shoot their dog and failed at killing it? If you are going to shoot you dog,do it right and kill it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:53:04 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

That's pretty fucking vacant.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:54:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
So some dumbass wanted to shoot their dog and failed at killing it? If you are going to shoot you dog,do it right and kill it.

+1
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:11:41 PM EDT
[#7]
its shit like this thats going to get shooting on public landed banned :(

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:18:15 PM EDT
[#8]
That "rehabilitated" pooch is going to cause somebody a world of problems after they adopt it. What happened should be punished if the perpetrators are caught, but the dog is now damaged goods and should be put down.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:37:49 PM EDT
[#9]
how will the bullets just work their way out of his body??
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:44:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

What do you do for a living again?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:57:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Typical for the trash that shoots at reddington...

Last year a couple of cows were shot that were grazing up there.

I fucking hate people like that. I have no love for pits. In fact one sent me to the hospital. But shooting stuff just for fun like that? I hope they all get super aids.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:10:51 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:08:25 AM EDT
[#13]
This is pretty much another news story waiting to happen.
A fighting breed that's been seriously abused, up for adoption.
What could go wrong?

Who do they think they're gonna give this thing to?
~
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:14:31 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

All I have to say is FU

I love my pit bull.  He is extremely intelligent, playful and in no way mean.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top