Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/22/2006 2:49:24 PM EDT
best way to get the door unlocked.

i have a slim jim.

need to know exactly where and how to place the slim jim on a 1992 toyota 4 runner to get the bastard unlocked...........
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:56:35 PM EDT
[#1]
i do not have my mac tools guide with me...but I'll do my best...

if it is a "slim jim"..feel around the latch and watch closely the inside door handle and lock button...fiddle around till you see them slightly moving..from there you just have to have the feel for it...

FYI slim jims are not always the best tool...

another option- take top right corner of door and pull and see if you can create a gap..if you can, use a wedge of some sort ...take long wire to see if you can hit the power lock button...

if i was there i could do it...sorry i couldn't be more help
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:57:39 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

if it is a "slim jim"..feel around the latch and watch closely the inside door handle and lock button...fiddle around till you see them slightly moving..from there you just have to have the feel for it...

another option- take top right corner of door and pull and see if you can create a gap..if you can, use a wedge of some sort ...take long wire to see if you can hit the power lock button...

thanks, any other suggestions...............
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:57:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I realize this is closing the barn door after the cows get out but I keep a spare in my wallet.

I've never needed it but it can save your butt.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:01:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I realize this is closing the barn door after the cows get out but I keep a spare in my wallet.

+1

Having shattered a window on my pickup once after my then-three year old son locked us out, I've since learned to carry a spare key in my wallet.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:01:50 PM EDT
[#5]
  Keep a spare set with magnet attached to the frame, you will learn next time
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:02:57 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

+1
or try to just pry the window and not the whole door
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:03:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

ya well i had a spare until it got to -30 a couple nights ago, and the key broke trying to unlock the car in the morning.
didn't hardly even use much force either, just broke off.

it has been a shitty week

oh well.............
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:04:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I know this won’t be much of a help now… but get a couple of spare keys and keep them on you.

I have a full spare set of keys hidden in the trunk and a spare door/trunk key in my wallet. I also keep my house keys and car keys on separate rings with a spare door/trunk key on the house key ring. That makes it real hard for me to lock myself out of my car.

I used to drive an 18 wheeler and realized that getting locked out of it could literally be fatal in some places. (Like an isolated road at night in the dead of winter.) So I started carrying plenty of spares.

The risk might not be as great in a 4 wheeler but locking yourself out of your car can still be fatal. So get those spare keys.

And good luck with getting your car unlocked.

Edit. I wrote this before seeing your reply about the broken key.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:04:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Now, if you guys used the keys to lock the car in the first place, you'll never lock them IN the car..... well, maybe the trunk....
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:06:27 PM EDT
[#10]
The morning after I bought my first car I locked my keys in it.  With the engine running
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:09:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Blame it on the car, and set that fucker on fire.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:09:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Another +1 for keeping a spare in the wallet. Only thing is I usually keep my wallet in the car so it wouldn't do me much good.

Have you tried breaking a window? That will usually work.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:12:06 PM EDT
[#13]
your more than likely not going to be able to get in using a "slim jim", most of the cars made since the late 80s have a plate above the locking mechinism preventing the use of a slim jim, theres a Z shaped tool called a wonder bar that'll get you in though, you slip it down next to the window into the door, underneth the the glass bring one end up on the inside, twist the end and either push down on the electric lock, or pull up on the lever lock, or you can wedge the door open, and punch the lock with a hanger or heavy wire.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:12:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Are you inside or outside the car?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:16:50 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

DOH!!!!!

Thanks guys, problem solved..............
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:26:36 PM EDT
[#16]
My current daily driver is kinda idiot proof... keyless entry kicks butt.  I can't lock my keys in the car.  Now, someone else could lock the door from inside.

The only way I could lock the keys in the car is if the keys were in the car, and I opened the door, exited the vehicle and manually flipped the lock (which would lock both doors) and then shut the door.  

Other than that, I only lock and unlock the doors.

Now, on my project car... the '69 911... well, I usually drive it with the top off, so I can just reach in and unlock it.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:03:13 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

DOH!!!!!

Take a door wedge stop/tennis ball/rag and wedge it between the window and the door. This will allow you to use a pointy stick/hanger to actuate the lock switch/lock knob. Its either this or call AAA.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:06:44 PM EDT
[#18]
electric locks?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:07:30 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

DOH!!!!!

Take a door wedge stop/tennis ball/rag and wedge it between the window and the door. This will allow you to use a pointy stick/hanger to actuate the lock switch/lock knob. Its either this or call AAA.

Funny, that's what AAA did when I locked my keys in!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:11:03 PM EDT
[#20]
The last tiem I lcoekd myself out fo my car (keys were inside) I called a mobile locksmith and when he pulled up he didnt even turn off his car or close his door, he was done so quick. Took him all of 20 seconds to get it unlocked. (cost me $35 though).
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:18:05 PM EDT
[#21]
I know a guy who had his wife break the windshield  of his suburban because she locked the keys inside......

$300 windshield vs. $30 locksmith.........

Either keep a sparekey hidden on the car or a small lockpicking kit hidden on the car if your afraid of a bad guy finding your key.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:20:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Honest this is a true tale.
Woman who was our tax person was at the mall, and locked out of her husbands car.
(Make a note it was his fault for not having keyless entry..)
She calls AAA and about an hour later a certified rocket scientist shows up. Analyses this situation.
Determines he can "git 'er done <sploit>"
Works on drivers door for about 20 minutes with a Slim Jim, and voila! Gets it open.
She turns to get her stuff off of the car behind her and upon looking back he is has walked around to the other side of the car and is hacking away with the tool on the passengers door.
She asks, "What are you doing?"
He answers, "Well you want this one open too dun'ya?"
True story.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:30:35 PM EDT
[#23]
OnStar
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:34:25 PM EDT
[#24]
OnStar

I was thinking BlondeStar might be useful here...
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:34:31 PM EDT
[#25]
The worst time I locked my keys in my truck was when I was launching my boat in the lake.  I had my truck running and backed down to the water, I got out to unhook the boat, when I got back to the truck the doors were locked.  I must have hit the button while getting out.  So there I was standing on the ramp in shorts, a t-shirt, and sandles.  My wallet with my spare key was inside my truck along with my cellphone as I don't take those things out until I park the truck.  Luckily it wasn't a busy day but there were still several people around.  I tried jimmying my back sliding window open, nope, glass shattered everywhere.  I was pissed but I reached in, unlocked my door, parked my truck, and then spent the day on the lake.  Then getting out of my boat to go home my sunglasses flew out of my hat and into the lake.  I should have stayed home that day.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:38:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Eswing
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:38:45 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1
or try to just pry the window and not the whole door

Glass doesnt enjoy being pryed when its real cold.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:40:44 PM EDT
[#28]
I got'cha beat......

(Picture this)

Late(ish) night, Thursday, after a long hard day....
After a very, very, long, rough week.....(GF trouble/School Trouble/Work Trouble....
Alone, car running, gas tank almost out of gas, radio on.....
In the "Outback" of one of Detroit's nastiest mall parking lots.....
Just after closing and locking/setting the alarm on the only door in to work.....

And the wind blows.........Woosh!........the car door shut!

I walk 1 1/2miles to an open restaurant, find a payphone and call home......

Grandma was taken to the hospital, and my brother can't come for 45+minutes..... WTF!

Car runs out of gas, Grandma dies on the OR table before they can even begin (Aorta busted), and my dip-shit brother forgets the F-ing gas can!...This ends up with me "Renting" a gas can from the local gas station for $25!!
I wouldn't get the $$ back from the Asshole owner, so I still have the $25 gas can!

That was 25+ years ago, and It's still the most fucked-up day of my life!

Tall Shaddow
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:47:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:52:16 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
OnStar

I was thinking BlondeStar might be useful here...

What to do when you’re locked inside your car and the keys are outside your car.

nedmartin.org/amused/pics/blondestar20042.mp3

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:12:01 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I know a guy who had his wife break the windshield  of his suburban because she locked the keys inside......

Either keep a sparekey hidden on the car or a small lockpicking kit hidden on the car if your afraid of a bad guy finding your key.

You won't get in a modern car via the door locks with a lockpicking kit very easily, if at all.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:29:55 PM EDT
[#32]
The Ford that I had came with keyless entry.
I don't know if the system was faulty, or radio waves did it, but every so often, it locked the car on its own accord

Pure luck that I didn't get locked out before I figured out what was happening.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:01:13 PM EDT
[#33]
I have opened every locked door ( 60 +) cars except a KIA Optima, it still pisses me off..... having the right tools for the job makes the difference...

btw, it is not my profession....just the industry i work in....
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:06:55 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You won't get in a modern car via the door locks with a lockpicking kit very easily, if at all.

I'm pretty sure very few makers use side bars. Haven't done it in a while so I'm a bit rusty though.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:15:16 PM EDT
[#35]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top