Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2006 9:04:46 AM EDT
I always understood that it was OK to shoot shotgun slugs thru a barrel with a choke installed.

I think that the manufacturers say it's "preferrable" not to shoot slugs thru a barrel with a full choke.  But it is a safe practice.

Anybody know different?

(By using the word "know", I mean you have actual verifiable knowledge)
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:07:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm not 100% sure, but I have to wonder why anyone would shoot a slug through a device intended to alter the pattern of shot.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:08:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't do it.  Please don't do it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:22:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I've shot several 20 gauge slugs through a modified choke, with no ill effects. All my 12 gauge slugs have been shot with a cylinder bore barrel, with no ill effects.

Accuracy was ok in both my 12 gauge and 20, not rifle type accuracy, but maybe minute of coke bottle at 25 yards, never shot one farther away.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:26:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:30:47 AM EDT
[#5]
Post pics please!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:34:17 AM EDT
[#6]
i've fired rifled slugs through a full choke before but from what I've heard (just ramblings mind you) it's generally inadvisable.  Something about bulging a barell blah blah, I'm not sure though
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:42:49 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
i've fired rifled slugs through a full choke before but from what I've heard (just ramblings mind you) it's generally inadvisable.  Something about bulging a barell blah blah, I'm not sure though

I don`t think its a good idea on anything tighter then IC.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:44:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Generally speaking, it's "safe" for you; the shooter, but it's not that good for the shotgun.
What can happen is that eventually, you risk the choke becoming part of the "ordnance package" and ending up downrange with the slug.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:48:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top