Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2006 9:02:04 AM EDT
I've got my eye on a Manx locally that's for sale for $4500.  It's what I would call in good shape looks-wise, no obvious cracks etc in the body, a bimini top, seats with no rips, just fairly plain and clean with good tread on the tires and typical chromes.  Does this sound like a good price?  Haven't actually talked to the owner so I can't be sure if it's a real Manx or some other knock-off.  

I plan on taking it to a local mechanic to have it checked out.  On the Manx board there were few for sale and all over $4000.

Just tapping into the local knowledge base here.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:46:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 1:57:55 PM EDT
[#2]

Bought it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:00:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Congrats!

I've always wanted one but never made the leap...
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 2:31:40 PM EDT
[#4]
That's neat, lawn jockey, but I don't think it's a true Manx. IIRC, the side sills on a Manx weren't that low.

I still have the original sales brochures around here someplace if you need further information. I was going to order one new back in the day, but I never did. My plans called for the Crown Corvair engine adaptor plate, but I ended up with a Boss Mustang instead. (in fact, I still have a lot of Corvair engine parts lying around)

Nice purchase! I'd say you could easily get your money out of it at any time.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:39:34 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
That's neat, lawn jockey, but I don't think it's a true Manx. IIRC, the side sills on a Manx weren't that low.

I still have the original sales brochures around here someplace if you need further information. I was going to order one new back in the day, but I never did. My plans called for the Crown Corvair engine adaptor plate, but I ended up with a Boss Mustang instead. (in fact, I still have a lot of Corvair engine parts lying around)

Nice purchase! I'd say you could easily get your money out of it at any time.

You're right, it's not a true Manx.  I just put that name up for it's recognition value.  Not sure what brand of body it is.  It was built in 99.  I used to hang around Peppertree Automotive in Costa Mesa when some friends had their VWs worked on there.  That was Roger Meyers shop when he was working on the Manx.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 4:51:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I suggest you verify the age of the chassis and engine.  Is is double-jointed axles or the old swing axles?  I've seen a lot of buggies built from really ancient parts.  Also, check the welds where the floor pan was cut for shortening and welded back together.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top