Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/22/2006 6:45:10 AM EDT
I am installing wood floors in my study and master bedroom. Which way should the planks run? I am thinking I want to do it like in the below image, or I could turn them 90 degrees. What do you guys think, or does it matter?

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:46:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:49:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I installed my wood floors parrallel with the direction of the main entry way.

In other words I installed them long axis running away from me when I entered the room.

Instead of perpendicular to direction of entry.

I think I didn't explain that very well.

You have a "Hearth Room"????
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:52:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Whatever direction you decide, run them that way throught the entire house for continuity.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:52:28 AM EDT
[#4]
there are no" rules".  which way looks the best to you?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:53:37 AM EDT
[#5]
If you are using hardwood flooring I would run perpendicular to the joist.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:53:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Usually long direction for best effect.

eta
the diagram you've demonstrated looks to be your best options IMO
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:53:50 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Whatever direction you decide, run them that way throught the entire house for continuity.

+1
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:55:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Whichever makes the room seem bigger.Seems right for the master bedroom, but you might want to run them the same way in the study so it makes the room seem bigger. Or do a 45 degree angle thing, that always looks nice.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:00:35 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

I am only using wood in the master and study. The rest of the house has limestone floors. Even though you can't see the master from the study and vis-versa, should I still run them the same way in both room?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:01:31 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

+1

I always thought that WAS the rule for hardwood flooring.  (unless of course there are no joists, and it's a solid subfloor - then it doesn't matter)
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:02:01 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

not necessarily.  the direction of the flooring will give the room different depth and feel to it
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:04:39 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I installed my wood floors parrallel with the direction of the main entry way.

In other words I installed them long axis running away from me when I entered the room.

Instead of perpendicular to direction of entry.

I think I didn't explain that very well.

You have a "Hearth Room"????

It's a fancy word used by the builder for a Living Room. Here's a pic of the room.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:06:02 AM EDT
[#13]
run 'em in the same direction as the traffic pattern

ie perpendicular to the doorway that you'll most frequently use to enter the room
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:07:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Whichever way keeps the wife quiet.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:10:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Pergo says that the flooring should run the same general direction as how the rays of light enter the room.  That worked for me when remodeling a large room, however then you do an entire house you have much to consider.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:17:54 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Pergo says that the flooring should run the same general direction as how the rays of light enter the room.  That worked for me when remodeling a large room, however then you do an entire house you have much to consider.

I guess I need to put my house on a revolving platform
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:21:29 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

I always thought that WAS the rule for hardwood flooring.  (unless of course there are no joists, and it's a solid subfloor - then it doesn't matter)

The house is on a slab foundation.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:26:16 AM EDT
[#18]
going the long direction of the room will lead to less waste.
Teh coolest thing with hardwood floors is to put in a border.  So, the boards all run one way, but one foot off the wall is a black (or different colored one) going with teh walls of the room.
very cool look.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:31:37 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Whichever way keeps the wife quiet.

+1

depends on how large you want the room to "look"
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:54:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Don't go too radical or avant-garde with what you do. Wood is kind of a classic look anyway and can look REAL dated or silly if it's too far from what's been done for years. No flame intended on the border look... I did it on another house I had.
1) long ways "with" the room
2) your own vantage point when entering
3) window light

FWIW my '26 house has original T$G boards diagonal across the floor joists and the oak strips diagonal to the T&G ... that way it doesn't matter whether the oak flooring is in-line or across the joists.  And how you could do a "whole house" the same way is beyond me ? A hallway with the flooring laid across it would look beyond wierd !!                     Stay safe
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:59:32 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Don't go too radical or avant-garde with what you do. Wood is kind of a classic look anyway and can look REAL dated or silly if it's too far from what's been done for years. No flame intended on the border look... I did it on another house I had.
1) long ways "with" the room
2) your own vantage point when entering
3) window light

FWIW my '26 house has original T$G boards diagonal across the floor joists and the oak strips diagonal to the T&G ... that way it doesn't matter whether the oak flooring is in-line or across the joists.  And how you could do a "whole house" the same way is beyond me ? A hallway with the flooring laid across it would look beyond wierd !!                     Stay safe

Thanks for the tips. I'm going with a simple hickory 5" plank with no accents.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:06:57 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

That is so that with their floors, you have light hitting a small seam every four feet instead of a long seam every eight inches, which ruins the illusion of a hardwood floor. With real wood it doesn't matter.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top