BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2006 3:27:42 AM EDT
Poll: Youths Back N. Korea if Attacked
Feb 21 11:08 PM US/Eastern
Email this story

SEOUL, South Korea

Nearly half of South Korean youths who will be old enough to vote in the country's next elections say Seoul should side with North Korea if the United States attacks the communist nation, according to a poll released Wednesday.

At the same time, 40.7 percent of the 1,000 young people surveyed said Seoul should remain neutral in the event of hostilities between Washington and Pyongyang, according to the poll by The Korea Times and Hankook Ilbo dailies. Only 11.6 percent said the South should back its longtime U.S. ally.

The poll, conducted Feb. 16-19, surveyed youths between 17 and 23 years old who will be old enough to vote in next year's presidential election. The margin of error was plus or minus 3.1 percentage points.

The youths named China as South Korea's most important partner for maintaining friendly relations, at 39.5 percent, followed by the United States and North Korea at 18.4 and 18 percent, respectively.

A majority of those surveyed, 54.1 percent, said peaceful reunification was the preferred method for ending the division on the peninsula. But 35.5 percent said the status quo should be maintained if the North and South can peacefully coexist.

www.breitbart.com/news/2006/02/21/D8FTU7HO2.html

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:32:50 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

A majority of those surveyed, 54.1 percent, said peaceful reunification was the preferred method for ending the division on the peninsula. But 35.5 percent said the status quo should be maintained if the North and South can peacefully coexist.

Edit:
reading is fundmental.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:34:01 AM EDT
[#2]
I spent a year in Korea, Jan 00-Jan 01 at Camp Walker in Deagu. The little bastards used to stand outside our back gate throwing rocks and chanting "Yankee go home!" damn near every weekend. Meanwhile out the front gate the older generation of Koreans, ie those who remember why we're there in the first place, would sometimes stand outside our front gate with signs thanking us for being there. Stupid kids. If we pulled out of there right now we'd be waving to the N Koreans out the windows on the plane because in the time it took us to load the plane they would have invaded and took over.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:34:38 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't understand your gripe.  because over half preferred peaceful reunification or status quo to a fight, you think that's bad?  That's funny, because those 17-23 yo's are going to be doing most of the fighting and dying if they went to war with NK.

And I think we need to look at what context the 40% desiring neutrality are placing their vote in.

My gripe is the fact that they would rather side with NK.. then with the US if the conflict ever came.

Specifically this;  Nearly half of South Korean youths who will be old enough to vote in the country's next elections say Seoul should side with North Korea if the United States attacks the communist nation, according to a poll released Wednesday.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:35:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I have to laugh....

If we can't trust the polls of a free, democratic country like our own, how can we trust a poll from South Korea? Power is in the hands of those with the printing press.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:35:45 AM EDT
[#5]
kinda makes ya want to let the little bastages have their way, doesn't it?

stupid kids, no brains, no experience, just attitude.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:36:46 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't understand your gripe.  because over half preferred peaceful reunification or status quo to a fight, you think that's bad?  That's funny, because those 17-23 yo's are going to be doing most of the fighting and dying if they went to war with NK.

And I think we need to look at what context the 40% desiring neutrality are placing their vote in.

My gripe is the fact that they would rather side with NK.. then with the US if the conflict ever came.

Specifically this;  Nearly half of South Korean youths who will be old enough to vote in the country's next elections say Seoul should side with North Korea if the United States attacks the communist nation, according to a poll released Wednesday.

derrr.  whoops.  perhaps i should have started my 2nd cup of coffee before i posted.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top