Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2006 8:34:59 PM EDT
OK, it seems that I may have spoken a little too soon about being all better.

About 2 hours ago, I got hit and I mean good. It started with the chills, then I felt dizzy, then fatigued and now my throat is feeling sore.

I think I need to go to the doctor, but I don't have any health insurance (insurance through my company is like $350/WEEK for a single person). I have a few thousand in the bank and I have a few thousand available on my Credit Card. Here are my questions:

1. Can the hospital deny me service if I don't have insurance? I can PAY, I just don't have insurance.

2. Should I go to an emergency room, schedule an appointment with a doctor or find a small clinic or something.

I'm thinking that I either have the flu or strep throat (my step mom is getting over strep throat right now). Any input would be worlds of help.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:38:22 PM EDT
[#1]
1)find a doc in a box if you can and pay the fee! get some antibiotics end of story

or

2) go to ER and wait for 10 hrs get 10 other illnesses in the waiting room and pay 500.00+
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:40:26 PM EDT
[#2]
IM me if you like.

An ER is going to be your most expensive option. By far.
I would recommend a good walk in clinc with an MD, not a PA, NP, etc.
Not going to be cheap though but that is probably the best option, timewise and expense wise. While there you could ask if they have any samples of meds. They usually do.

If you were here I would take care of you fro free but it is one helluva long drive.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:40:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Go to an Urgent Care center.  They are all over the place.  It will cost less then an ER.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:40:33 PM EDT
[#4]
1. Can the hospital deny me service if I don't have insurance? I can PAY, I just don't have insurance.

Depends on the hospital. Most would be covered under EMTALA www.emtala.com/faq.htm

I'd try a small clinic if you can wait. There may be a clinic around that's designed for quick care that handles tests for strep. (ETA: yeah, I forgot they were called urgent care clinics )

And for insurance, check into a MSA. A lot less than $350 a week.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:40:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:41:39 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
1)find a doc in a box if you can and pay the fee! get some antibiotics end of story

or

2) go to ER and wait for 10 hrs get 10 other illnesses in the waiting room and pay 500.00+

You need to multiply that number in line two by a factor of two or three.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:43:30 PM EDT
[#7]
if you were an illegal alian you wouldn't have to worry... now aint that fucked up
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:44:03 PM EDT
[#8]
BTDT.  I wait till I'm on death's bed to go to the Dr.  They will deny you at the office and it costs more to go to the ER where they cannot deny seeing you.  Sounds to me like the flu or whatever, but you know yourself better.  Myself, I'd doctor myself up good with OTC meds and wait it out.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:47:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Go to a clinic in the morning.  ER will be expensive.  When you see the doctor, explain to him that you don't have insurance, and ask him to be practical about what lab work he has done in order to control your costs.  You should be able to get treated for a couple hundred at most.

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:53:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Urgent care won't be more than $200 or so.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:54:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Also--a hospital can't deny you whether you have insurance or money or not.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:59:00 PM EDT
[#12]
A doc in the box clinic will probably be around $100, plus any tests. It's not as expensive as you might think.

Also, some ERs have daytime urgent care clinic hours where they don't charge the fullblown ER costs.

You should find yourself a regular doctor. Without insurance stay away from any clinic owned by a large corporation or non-profit mega giant. They WILL rip you off. Find a one or two doc small office where the doctor actually lives and goes to church in the same area. In other words a doctor with roots in the community. They are more likely to take good care of someone without insurance than a corporate employed doc who has to stay off the business managers bad side by spending no more than 5 minutes on a non-insured patient.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:04:01 PM EDT
[#13]
yeah hit one of the little urgent clincs
they are pretty reasonable
went there for a couple of broken arms and things
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:05:46 PM EDT
[#14]
where in TX are you?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:09:59 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I have a few thousand in the bank and I have a few thousand available on my Credit Card.

Nobody's going to deny treatment to a patient who has a valid credit card.

Find a clinic, and don't be afraid to whip out the plastic - even if they send you to a hospital. A few extra months of credit card payments are a small price to pay for not assuming room temperature!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:13:24 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
IM me if you like.

Not going to be cheap though but that is probably the best option, timewise and expense wise. While there you could ask if they have any samples of meds. They usually do.

If you were here I would take care of you fro free but it is one helluva long drive.

That is "Mighty White" of you JarHead  
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:15:06 PM EDT
[#17]
You could marry an ER Nurse and get her to ask JarHead for Z pak
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:29:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Steve ive had the same thing for 2 weeks nearly turned into pnuemonia go to the e.r. in the morning at night in most smaller texas hospitals the doc wont come,till morning. so go in the day if you can wait. Dont worry about insurance if you have a job they will treat you,i have an an hmo so they only treat me half ass but if you have a job they will give you what you need.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:58:09 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I've got a few Zpaks.

And since it is the middle of Feb in Northern WI, yeah, I'm mighty white.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:13:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Go to an Urgent care in the morning...
You see them everywhere, what part of the DFW area you in

If it gets bad, GO to Parkland and get checked out, then tell them you cannot pay for it because of NO insurance.   NO I am not kidding

Illegals do it all the time.

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:18:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:27:02 PM EDT
[#22]

NeedNO Doctor, No Need insurance

There fixed it for ya
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 11:46:31 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

NeedNO Doctor, No Need insurance

There fixed it for ya

+1

Go to bed, drink fluids, and wait it out.

No reason to see the doc for that.

Worst case you need some antibiotics.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:18:24 AM EDT
[#24]
You don't need a perscription for Tylenol Cold and Flu...

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:28:29 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've got a few Zpaks.

And since it is the middle of Feb in Northern WI, yeah, I'm mighty white.

Where in Northern Wisc?  Are you on an Indian Reservation or something?  

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:16:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Walk in and tell them you are an illegal alien.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:24:21 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Walk in and tell them you are an illegal alien.

Exactly! I was just getting ready to type that myself.

Pretty sickening..that it's true.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:28:43 AM EDT
[#28]
The Mrs had to go to the ER last year. A couple bags of fluid, 10 hrs later the  bill was close to $2,000.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:33:32 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Go to an Urgent Care center.  They are all over the place.  It will cost less then an ER.

+1   Tell them you would like the cash discount.  It doesn't hurt to ask.

Ask the Doc for free samples of the Meds.  They get tons of them and will often help you out if you ask nice.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:34:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Go to your local family practice doc, they should give you a 25% discount for paying cash.

They LOVE cash pay people!!!

ETA: Where in Texas are you?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:38:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Your group medical insurance is $1,500 a month for a single person.? When you feel better you need to find another job. What are you going to do if you get really sick?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:46:54 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Your group medical insurance is $1,500 a month for a single person.? When you feel better you need to find another job. What are you going to do if you get really sick?

I'm a contractor working for a "body shop". They are somehow able to skirt paying the costs of the health care.

With any luck I should be an employee of the company I am contracting to, and they have some of the best benefits you can find.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:56:41 AM EDT
[#33]
No matter where you go, when you get the bill, tell them you would be happy to pay what someone with insurance would pay for the same service.

Argue with them till you are blue in the face.  Call the CEO if necessary.  

Always argue the bill, you would be suprised how much they will take off.

Good luck you yankee bastard.

TXL
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:32:23 PM EDT
[#34]
I got sick.  No insurance.  Went to clinic.  90 bucks later i had some good pills and was on my way to being better.

But i am still taking my chances.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:00:25 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1   Tell them you would like the cash discount.  It doesn't hurt to ask.

If you tell them you don't have insurance and are paying cash they will probably bill you lower. Tell the DOC, not the staff.  I always did even though I was not supposed to. Fuck 'em. Not going to bill nice hardworking folks like that. Especially, with all the Welfare dirtballs and drug seekers out there.

Ask the Doc for free samples of the Meds.  They get tons of them and will often help you out if you ask nice.

We no longer get "tons".
And I will tell you why. So many assholes have whined about the supposed vacations, etc we get from drug companies that the whole deal has gotten very restrictive and we gets way less meds than we used to. It sucks.

All I ever got was lunch for my staff(usually pizza) for taking a few minutes to sit down and talk with them.

The whole thing really pisses me off.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 5:11:27 PM EDT
[#36]
I got sick with the same thing.  Actually, I still have it.  No need to go to the doc.   I thought I had strep throat as well.  I took lots of echinacea, lots of vitamin c, pain pills for throat when necessary, ect.   Sore throat is gone, congestion is basically gone, now it moved into my lungs and I am coughing like crazy.  I figure another week and it will be cleared up...

Docs basically tell you to wait 7 to 10 days before goin in anyway to confirm it really is an infection.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:18:10 PM EDT
[#37]
If you're a Vet, go to the VA. I didn't have ins either once. When I used to get sick
I'd go to the local pet store and get a bottle of fishcillin. This is penicillin for fish.
I'd take 4 hits a day and pretty soon all the sick would be gone and the crap
that came out of me smelled to high heven. Worked ok for me. When money's
tight one has to do what one has to do..
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:29:38 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I got sick with the same thing.  Actually, I still have it.  No need to go to the doc.   I thought I had strep throat as well.  I took lots of echinacea, lots of vitamin c, pain pills for throat when necessary, ect.   Sore throat is gone, congestion is basically gone, now it moved into my lungs and I am coughing like crazy.  I figure another week and it will be cleared up...

Docs basically tell you to wait 7 to 10 days before goin in anyway to confirm it really is an infection.

untrue
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:32:39 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
IM me if you like.

You're a good man DrJ, glad guys like you are around.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:23:23 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

untrue

is the 7-10 days just for a sinus infection?
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:29:43 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

untrue

is the 7-10 days just for a sinus infection?

Pretty much.  Blowing green shit out of your nose and having sinus congestion doesn't mean much. Common with a cold.  And even sinus Xrays or CTs aren't all that revealing. Okay, you have fluid in your sinus cavity. Is it due to a viral or a bacterial infection? Who knows. Time will tell.
Now if you have pneumonia, strep throat, UTI, STDs, appendicitis, meningitis(!) we sure don't want you waiting 7 days.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:30:58 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
IM me if you like.

You're a good man DrJ, glad guys like you are around.

I'm not that good a guy. Better than some I suppose.

But I thank you.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:31:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Unfortunately people wont leave the freakin office without antibiotics.  ITS A VIRUS I TELL THEM. They dont hear that at all.  But I got better the last time I took those red antibiotics.  Well maybe you just got better.  Oh, no it was the pills.

And people think its the drug reps that keep the price of medications high.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top