BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/21/2006 7:24:09 PM EDT
MySpace.com strikes again!!
-----------------------------------------------------------------
www.lassennews.com/News_Story.edi?sid=3145&mode=thread&order=0
Police recover assault weapon on college campus
Posted on Tuesday, February 21 @ 17:34:43 GMT  
After a lengthy investigation, the Susanville Police Department, with the aid of the Coos Bay Police Department, arrested Lassen Community College student Matthew Louis Maumoynier, 21, on Saturday, Feb. 11 in Coos Bay, Ore.

By Barbara France
News Editor

Maumoynier was charged with possessing an assault rifle, possessing firearms on a college campus, furnishing or loaning a high capacity magazine and probation violation. His bail was set at $45,000.

During the month of January, the police department began investigating allegations that college students at LCC were in possession of various firearms in the dorm rooms, according to a SPD press release.

Several photos showing both past and present students holding various types of firearms in the dorm rooms were put on the World Wide Web site blog called myspace.com.

College officials brought it to the attention of the police department when college staff discovered the photos.

According to Police Chief Chris Gallagher, during the lengthy investigation, one of the weapons in the photos was determined to be an assault rifle. These types of rifles are illegal to possess in California.

Maumoynier, identified by the SPD also as a LCC wrestler, was in one of the photos holding the assault rifle.

On Wednesday, Feb. 8, Susanville police detectives interviewed Maumoynier, who admitted during the interview that the assault rifle was his. He allegedly admitted bringing the rifle and a shotgun into the dorm rooms.

Maumoynier also told the detectives the weapons were in an undisclosed location in Chester. The detectives arrested Maumoynier but he was released when he and a man the press release identified as assistant wrestling coach Alonzo Nalls agreed to bring the rifle and shotgun to the police station on Thursday, Feb. 11. Nalls allegedly told the detectives he would help Maumoynier retrieve the guns.

The detectives told Nalls and Maumoynier that if Maumoynier did not return with the weapons as agreed upon, a warrant would be issued for his arrest. He was also told that if he brought in the weapons, he would not be physically arrested but the case would be sent to the Lassen County District Attorney's Office.

Neither Maumoynier nor Nalls brought the weapons to the police department or contacted the investigators.

On Friday, Feb. 10, the police detectives obtained an arrest warrant for Maumoynier for felony and misdemeanor charges.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:24:57 PM EDT
[#1]
$45k bail is it?

Lock him away and throw away the key!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:25:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:26:04 PM EDT
[#3]
so wait....they arrested him in Oregon for violation of California law?

how the hell does that work?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:27:59 PM EDT
[#4]

These types of rifles are illegal to possess in California.......

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:28:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
img229.imageshack.us/img229/1010/myspace0wu.jpg

Yikes! That woman is posessed! I remember that episode, she creeped me out!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:32:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Possession/loaning/borrowing of full-cap magazines? They actually charged someone with that? Wow.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:33:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

As an attorney with a great deal of experience in the practice of law (specifically including laws pertaining to firearms), and as a person who, off this board, might well be regarded as an expert in the field of firearms, I join you in saying ""
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:38:36 PM EDT
[#8]

On Wednesday, Feb. 8, Susanville police detectives interviewed Maumoynier, who admitted during the interview that the assault rifle was his. He allegedly admitted bringing the rifle and a shotgun into the dorm rooms.

Should've just told them it was airsoft.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:43:00 PM EDT
[#9]
reminds me of the cell phone the police found one time. as they flipped through the pics on the camera phone, they noticed many large pot plants in the pics. so. what did they do? they returned the phone, along with a search warrent and arrested the guy.

WHY.... i repeat WHY do people videotape / record themselves doing such stupid sh!t ??
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:44:53 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I don't care how it works, screw Kali law, I hope he gets away and is never heard from again.  I pray this guy lives happily ever after.

-Ben

ETA: I think he should take appropriate measures, and change his name to Henry Bowman.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:45:05 PM EDT
[#11]
It's funny that they would charge him with possessing a weapon on campus, because Lassen Community College has a gunsmithing school.

It probably has to do with his "probation".
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:46:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Allah bless Kalifornistan.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:48:24 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Warrant?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:48:28 PM EDT
[#14]
 But the internet is an anonymous fairy-tale land with no consequences for your actions!  
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:48:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Everyone knows Myspace sucks and is full of 14 year old attention whores anyways.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:49:00 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot??
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:53:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:54:06 PM EDT
[#18]

On Wednesday, Feb. 8, Susanville police detectives interviewed Maumoynier, who admitted during the interview that the assault rifle was his. He allegedly admitted bringing the rifle and a shotgun into the dorm rooms

#1 mistake

Never ever talk to the police. Use your right to STFU!!!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:56:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:00:23 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Allah bless Kalifornistan.  

Peace and mercy upon them.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:02:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Thing that is fucked up?

I think Lassen is one of the few community colleges in the US that has an NRA gunsmithing school on the premises.

www.gunsmoke.com/scot/guns/gunsmith.html

I would love to take some gunsmithing courses at that school.    If I were to go up there I would like to do work on my own AR15s along with some more typical things like bolt actions.   AR15 work such as turning a custom barrel and learning how to time the barrel extension for the barrel.   If this is how they would treat me for having an "assault weapon", registered legally in California no less, they can literally bend over and fuck themselves with a pineapple.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:02:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Probabtion violation or not, I don't see anyone here offering to jump up and help defend him.  If nothing else another chance to challenge the AW law in Kali.

-Ben
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:03:00 PM EDT
[#23]
I think its saying he possessed the "illegal" AW's at LCC which is in Kalifornistan but fled after the initial interview and was caught in Oregon.  At least thats what I'm getting from it.... may be wrong.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:04:32 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Why would it be against the law to take a firearm into your "Home"? If you live in the dorms you should be able to possess firearms there.  A mans home is his Castle!
OK I forgot about the Probation. I wonder what he is on Probation for.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:06:50 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why would it be against the law to take a firearm into your "Home"? If you live in the dorms you should be able to possess firearms there.  A mans home is his Castle!

Not in academia, it ain't.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:07:50 PM EDT
[#26]

-snip- Alonzo Nalls agreed to bring the rifle and shotgun to the police station on Thursday, Feb. 11. Nalls allegedly told the detectives he would help Maumoynier retrieve the guns.

The detectives told Nalls and Maumoynier that if Maumoynier did not return with the weapons as agreed upon, a warrant would be issued for his arrest. He was also told that if he brought in the weapons, he would not be physically arrested but the case would be sent to the Lassen County District Attorney's Office.

Neither Maumoynier nor Nalls brought the weapons to the police department or contacted the investigators.

On Friday, Feb. 10, the police detectives obtained an arrest warrant for Maumoynier for felony and misdemeanor charges.

Typo? or another Ruby Ridge?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:08:38 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1. Guns on campus are a big no-no.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:10:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Opsec Lesson -

Don't post pics on the internet that will put your butt in a crack...
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:24:35 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe in Kali.  There is no federal law barring firearms from college campuses, I am allowed to keep firearms on campus in Virginia, and I know you can have firearms on campus in Oregon. In Idaho it is up to the school.

-Ben
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:34:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Read my post concerning the NRA gunsmithing school that is run at Lassen.

Guns in the dorms should be permitted for those taking the gunsmithing school, I know I personally wouldn't let my AR15 out of my sight if I was up there for the gunsmithing school and damn straight I'd want it in my dorm room along with any other gun I owned.

The guy was stupid, especially if he's got probation with specific criteria barring him from having weapons.   He's even dumber for doing something to get caught so he likely deserves some of this hell he brought on himself.   If it's an unregistered AR15 then he's in for an even bigger world of shit.

But none of this makes me want to give that gunsmithing school any of my business, this suggests bigger headaches than it is worth.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:55:26 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

That is EXACTLY what I was thinking...
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:01:11 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe in Kali.  There is no federal law barring firearms from college campuses, I am allowed to keep firearms on campus in Virginia, and I know you can have firearms on campus in Oregon. In Idaho it is up to the school.

-Ben

UNL is the same way they have " storage" at the campus PD station and you can sigh out your weapon
virtally everyone sneaks them in or keeps them in their car
they then get stolen and  that student gets their ass in a ringer
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:06:22 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-Ben

Administrative rules (OAR 580-22-045) of the Oregon State Board of Higher Education, authorize the University to sanction and prosecute persons who use, possess, or distribute illegal drugs on campus. OAR 573-075-0040 also authorizes the University to sanction persons who engage in certain proscribed conduct, such as possession, consumption, or furnishing of alcoholic beverages on University-owned or controlled property, or at University-sponsored or supervised functions. There will be no alcoholic beverages served on campus unless specifically authorized by the president. Students desiring psychological counseling for chemical dependency may contact the SOU Personal Counseling Office. Employees may take advantage of services provided by the SOU Employee Assistance Program.

All weapons, including firearms (as defined by Oregon Revised Statutes: ORS 166.210), air guns, swords or knifes (over 3 inches in length), arrows, slings and spears, slugging devices, ammunition and explosives are prohibited on campus. Only duly appointed federal, state, or city law enforcement officers who are required to carry weapons within the scope of their appointed duties are permitted to carry firearms into buildings or onto campus grounds. Students living in residence halls who wish to pursue hunting or shooting sports must store legitimately owned guns or other sporting equipment at the Campus Public Safety Office. Any person who violates federal, state, or local laws on controlled substances, alcoholic beverages, or weapons is subject to criminal prosecution.

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:08:41 PM EDT
[#34]
It's not worth it to risk your entire college education for firearms which may violate university policy.

Though it may not be against the law for one to keep a gun in a dorm, it is certainly against most university policy, and they probably have it in the guide/rule book, to which you signed a contract saying you read it, that if you break certain rules you are kicked out, no questions asked.

I simply moved off campus, and built me a M4gery.

Also, knowing how life is like in the dorms/fraternities, NOT having guns around is actually an awesome idea. Sure you are responsible, but is your roommate/dorm mate/house mate who pees in closets after 5 keg stands? I don't know about you, but I only have a lock on weapon hidden away. I don't feel like installing a safe in a house i'm only renting out a semester at a time is a wise decision, nor is storing a weapon in a car that could get stolen.

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:14:59 PM EDT
[#35]
i live off campus, but in my lease it says "NO FIREARMS"...if they only knew.

Firearms on my campus are a big no-no. I am sure a cop would shoot you if they found out that you had a gun...they are that poorly trained.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:49:37 PM EDT
[#36]
The idiot,

1. was on probation
2. had banned weapon in California
3. had that on a campus ground

Ignorance of law is not an excuse. Every college housing contract has a clause about weapon, and when I signed up, that was the first thing I looked up. No matter how you look at it, the idiot broke the law. Whether you like it or not, the law is the law.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:51:45 AM EDT
[#37]
OK We Get IT,

So WHAT NAME DOES HE POST HERE UNDER?

lol!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:54:46 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
img229.imageshack.us/img229/1010/myspace0wu.jpg

It's daAAAAARRKKK SIIIIIDDDEEEDD!!!!

I don't WAAAANNNT IT!!! TAINTED ANYTHING!!!!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:00:12 AM EDT
[#39]
One of the smartest things I ever did was moving the f out of Kali!  "I'll never go back, sell the house the wife the kids Neverrrrr go back" Out
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top