Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/21/2006 3:23:47 PM EDT
I really like John McCain, but he doesnt seem too popular around here.  I havnt heard any anti-gun dribble from him, so did I miss something?  Here's what I have so far:

-He's a REAL war hero- serving honorably in Vietnam and as a POW
-Has strongly advocated reducing gov't waste, including campaign waste- often by example
-He seems to tell like it is- or at least comes off as more honest than most politicians
-He is not intimidated by the party, and often breaks with them to follow his convictions
-He's not a pawn of the religious right

I see him as very electable, especially running against Hillary

So what am I missing, why is he disliked?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:24:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Gun grabber. Supports the AWB.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:24:50 PM EDT
[#2]
RINO
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:24:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:25:01 PM EDT
[#4]
he's a rino
he's a media whore
he pissed on the 1st amendment with mccain/ feingold
he'll piss on the 2nd amendment to close the 'gunshow loophole'

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:26:18 PM EDT
[#5]
because Karl Rove launched a very effective slandering campaign against him for the 2000 presidential bid.

I amy not support his position on civilian firearms ownership but I still respect him more than anyone in Rove's clique
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:27:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:28:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:28:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Self-righteous gungrabbing attention whore. Shoulder-shrugging "go along to get along" dickhead. I salute his service, but I'll be grateful to the people of Arizona (and, God forbid, the country at large) if they'll bring it to an end.

He's exhibit 1 in favor of a federal "resign-to-run" law.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:28:40 PM EDT
[#9]
McCain favors outlawing cheaply made handguns called Saturday night specials, and favors mandating safety locks on certain guns. He said he is intrigued by new technology that electronically identifies a person handling a gun, allowing only the owner to fire it. McCain rallied Senate Republicans behind a Democratic measure requiring background checks at gun shows.
Source: Scott Lindlaw, Associated Press Aug 17, 1999

McCain said he was open to voting for an assault weapon ban, depending on the details.
Source: Los Angeles Times, “McCain Calls for Hearings” Aug 17, 1999

Two words:  McCain-Feingold.

ETA:  David_Hineline:  Google huh?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:28:55 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
because Karl Rove launched a very effective slandering campaign against him for the 2000 presidential bid.

I amy not support his position on civilian firearms ownership but I still respect him more than anyone in Rove's clique

Yeah...riiiight.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:29:48 PM EDT
[#11]
He's a politician!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:30:00 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

So what is the mechanism involved in "respecting" a person who is an enemy of fundamental human rights? It's like saying "Yeah, the guy supports legalization of slavery, but I respect him more than ___________ ."
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:30:26 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
John McCain on Gun Control

Ban cheap guns; require safety locks; for gun show checks
McCain favors outlawing cheaply made handguns called Saturday night specials, and favors mandating safety locks on certain guns. He said he is intrigued by new technology that electronically identifies a person handling a gun, allowing only the owner to fire it. McCain rallied Senate Republicans behind a Democratic measure requiring background checks at gun shows.

Supports ban on certain assault weapons
McCain said he was open to voting for an assault weapon ban, depending on the details.

Thank you! Some intelligent evidence.  I don't think it would become an issue though, as gun grabbing has become a political death sentence for national politicians.  Even given what you posted (not that it passed, just his position), I still think the good out weighs the bad until I see someone better.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:30:27 PM EDT
[#14]
He will make the perfect Manchurian Candidate.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:30:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Thank you McCain for serving your country in 'nam.  Lots of other people got shot down to.  Now fuck off.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:31:01 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Self-righteous gungrabbing attention whore. Shoulder-shrugging "go along to get along" dickhead. I salute his service, but I'll be grateful to the people of Arizona (and, God forbid, the country at large) if they'll bring it to an end.

He's exhibit 1 in favor of a federal "resign-to-run" law.

Resounding +1 here.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:31:38 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Two words:  McCain-Feingold.

ETA:  David_Hineline:  Google huh?

Wow. I forgot all about his massive crap-taking on the 1st Amendment. I guess his next gambit will be for uncompensated peacetime quartering of troops in our homes.

The guy is a POS who used to be a hero.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:36:48 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
John McCain on Gun Control

Ban cheap guns; require safety locks; for gun show checks

Supports ban on certain assault weapons

Thank you! Some intelligent evidence.  I don't think it would become an issue though, as gun grabbing has become a political death sentence for national politicians.  Even given what you posted (not that it passed, just his position), I still think the good out weighs the bad until I see someone better.

If you won't oppose him after supporting the AWB and Campaign Finance Reform and closing the gunshow loophole then you will never oppose him.  The budget is more important than your rights?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:39:08 PM EDT
[#19]
I hadnt heard anything regarding McCain and guns, and now that I have I have definately lost some respect for him.

BUT...

I'd still vote for him before almost any dem, especially Hitlery
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:42:14 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I hadnt heard anything regarding McCain and guns, and now that I have I have definately lost some respect for him.

BUT...

If he were the (R) nominee, that'd be an election day to stay home or cast that vote you've always secretly wanted to cast for the Libertarian /Whole Grain Divestiture / Free Silver / Mugwump / Whatever Party.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:43:28 PM EDT
[#21]
He's a gun-grabbing RINO puke.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:43:57 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

BUT...

I'd rather have Hilary than him.
With either one you are gonna end up in the same place.
Might as well take the express elevator, rather than the stairs.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:51:07 PM EDT
[#23]
I really like John McCain, but he doesnt seem too popular around here.  I havnt heard any anti-gun dribble from him, so did I miss something?  Missed something. Here's what I have so far:

-He's a REAL war hero- serving honorably in Vietnam and as a POW A couple of hours in combat and lots of time as a POW.
-Has strongly advocated reducing gov't waste, including campaign waste- often by example Campaign waste? His campaign finance reform is aimed at attacking free speech. He doesn't want you or me buying airtime in ads critical of McCain. He's even pushing to prevent blogs from putting up political stuff on the eve of an election.
-He seems to tell like it is- or at least comes off as more honest than most politicians That's how he wants to be viewed. He's something of a populist.
-He is not intimidated by the party, and often breaks with them to follow his convictions He mostly breaks with the Party to appeal to the press. I'll take the convictions of the Republicans over the MSM anyday . . .
-He's not a pawn of the religious right
No, he's a pawn of the media.

I
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:56:49 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BUT...

If he were the (R) nominee, that'd be an election day to stay home or cast that vote you've always secretly wanted to cast for the Libertarian /Whole Grain Divestiture / Free Silver / Mugwump / Whatever Party.

If the choices are McCain and Clinton or Guilliani and Clinton then I will be voting Constitution.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:56:51 PM EDT
[#25]

So what's so bad about McCain?  

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:58:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Don't forget ABSCAM.  He was willing to sell out to the Muslims.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:59:31 PM EDT
[#27]

He is anti 1st and 2nd amendments.  Is that not enough...?  
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:03:21 PM EDT
[#28]
I don't like his haircut.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:06:00 PM EDT
[#29]
tag
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:08:14 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Don't forget ABSCAM.  He was willing to sell out to the Muslims.

He was one of the "Keating Five" not sure about abscam.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:16:15 PM EDT
[#31]
To be a lawmaker and insult the Constitution one time, you should be fired. To insult it twice, you should be in shackles.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:19:11 PM EDT
[#32]
He effectively muzzled the NRA with the Campaign finance reform stuff.
The NRA didn't say enough to start with, and he made it worse.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:22:05 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
He effectively muzzled the NRA with the Campaign finance reform stuff.
The NRA didn't say enough to start with, and he made it worse.

The NRA has a little something for his ass in the upcoming election cycle, you may rest assured. It is tactically and legally prepared to throw an absolute shitstorm - everything from getting itself qualified as a "media outlet" (or whatever the hell the exempt ubermenschen are called under BCRA) to having select high profile volunteers courting jail.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:29:47 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
he's a rino
he's a media whore
he pissed on the 1st amendment with mccain/ feingold
he'll piss on the 2nd amendment to close the 'gunshow loophole'

Pretty much my view exatcly. I would never vote for that piece of crap especially with his friken name on the BCRA, what a joke that is. I can remember the head of the FEC talking about when he was talking with scalia about the lawsuit and he was talking about how scalia asked him what he thinks about the first amendment and he said he started rattling off all theese cases, and was then interrupted by Scalia saying something like 'no, I want your opinion of what "CONGRESS SHALL MAKE NO LAW..." is'

Man I love Scalia, he tells it like it is, and his dissent against the McConnel v. FEC ruling is just supurb. At least one of the judges in the 5-4 ruling upholding BCRA has been replaced(O'conner)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top