Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/21/2006 2:37:31 PM EDT
Lets just say for zombies, SHTF, Combat.

Which is the best optic, i say ACOG because of the magnification but then again you can get on target faster with the EOtech and the aimpoint.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:39:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Tripower
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:40:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Different strokes for different folks.

Plan on getting an Eotech in the future, already have an Acog.

Not a big fan of the aimpoint ;-). But it has a huge advantage on battery life.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:41:13 PM EDT
[#3]
You'd probably do a LOT better in the AR15 optics forum.  They have a BUNCH of threads just like this.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:41:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Not a big fan of the aimpoint ;-). .

why not?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:43:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not a big fan of the aimpoint ;-). .

why not?

For a CQB optic I like wide open windows. But, thats me.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:44:33 PM EDT
[#6]

In Arfcom fashion...I have all three!

ACOG is great when using it for longer distance shots. Aimpoint and EoTech are great if you are in CQB.

Or in many of our cases...ACOG is great for target practice and tactical matches where shot placement is at a longer distance. Aimpoints and EoTechs are great for home defense, short range target engagement...like seeing which one of your buddies or you are going to hit the golf ball first...or during close shots at short range tactical matches.

Try an 4 power ACOG at a 21 foot fast shot and see what I mean. You end up like this...
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:48:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I have an ACOG and a EOthingy, but if the SHTF I'll take the EO thingy.  I cannot imagine a situation where I'd have to shoot beyond 50 yeards in self-defense, much less 100 or 200 or more, which is where the ACOG would shine.  However, if we're talking TEOTWAWKI, then both are gone and I'm using Irons.

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:51:49 PM EDT
[#8]
This needs a poll...
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:52:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:54:14 PM EDT
[#10]

I just can't decide!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:54:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

ACOG is great when using it for longer distance shots. Aimpoint and EoTech are great if you are in CQB.

Or in many of our cases...ACOG is great for target practice and tactical matches where shot placement is at a longer distance. Aimpoints and EoTechs are great for home defense, short range target engagement...like seeing which one of your buddies or you are going to hit the golf ball first...or during close shots at short range tactical matches.

Try an 4 power ACOG at a 21 foot fast shot and see what I mean. You end up like this...

There is nothing wrong with using an ACOG as a CQB sight.
As far as it hitting your forhead, well, you should know how your weapon works.

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:54:41 PM EDT
[#12]
EO Tech seems to be popular.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:56:20 PM EDT
[#13]
tagaroony....
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:56:57 PM EDT
[#14]
EOtech hands down

Much better FOV, the large outer circle is great for target acquisition, and the 1moa dot is great for the longer shots. Put a magifier behind it and you essentially have an ACOG. The aimpoint has much better batery life, but I can loot any 7-11 or walgreens to find AA's if the SHTF.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:01:59 PM EDT
[#15]
The EOTech is the fastest CQB sight.

The Aimpoint has the best battery life.

The ACOG is best for distance shooting.

Choose according to your needs.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:03:42 PM EDT
[#16]
ACOG

ETA; There's just something about bright optics coupled with radioactive tritium that makes the reticle glow red at dusk and dawn that turns me on.  I can pickout a wabbit at 50 yards in the palmetto woods here dusk or dawn with no problem.  I don't shoot the the wabbit, but if it were a BG he'd be at the disadvantage.  With 5 acres of woods to guard, I'll take the ACOG.

Another cool thing is the ACOG owners manual, it's more like a book on how to kill people, and/or how to kill people in moving vehicles - rather than how to hit a bulls eye on a target at the range.  Tells me that the ACOG means business.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:05:11 PM EDT
[#17]
So you can't get it all in one scope?  Is there a good compromise?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:09:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Like many here, I've owned or used all of the above. EOTech is the sight I would pick over all the others. It can be used all the way out to the effective range of your rifle no problem. Albeit, without the magnification, but I like it a lot.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:10:28 PM EDT
[#19]
I can't believe no one has said the obvious yet........Get both!  Or all three in this case.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:10:56 PM EDT
[#20]
I have all 3 and I like all three, but the Eotech is my favorite.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:12:03 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There is nothing wrong with using an ACOG as a CQB sight.
As far as it hitting your forhead, well, you should know how your weapon works.

I didn't say you'd hit your forehead. Trying to get a quick aim on a tango shaped target at close range is not what the ACOG is best at. Try to get a sight picture on a target while moving at close range with an ACOG, you'd be better off turning the rifle on the side, sighting down the barrel gangsta style and letting lose. FYI... = not being able to see well after trying to shoot close range with an ACOG.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:13:20 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I have all 3 and I like all three, but the Eotech is my favorite.

same here
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:13:34 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Can't use a hammer to ratchet a bolt. And can't use that screw driver to dig a trench.

Tools for different uses.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:14:03 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Lets just say for zombies, SHTF, Combat.

Which is the best optic, i say ACOG because of the magnification but then again you can get on target faster with the EOtech and the aimpoint.

Iron sight. Large aperture. Both eyes open. It can't get any simpler than that. For CQB, as in tight rooms/houses, pull out your pistol.

With an EOTech, you may run out of batteries and your brain is now zombie chow.
With an ACOG, its too much mag for CQB.
With an Aimpoint, battery life is better but still... just in case...
Tripower, you'll be struggling to find the fiber optic lit reticle, and then resort to using the battery. The cyalume sticks will attract zombies due to the harmonic frequency of the chemical reaction, and the tritium is pretty useless unless you're in total darkness.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:14:10 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

No, there is no magic weight loss pill either.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:16:57 PM EDT
[#26]
I still say ACOG if you want your war over with 1 shot.

I'll stick to my shottie for CQB.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:18:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Last I checked, a zombie can only be stopped with a headshot , so I’ll go with my ACOG.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:22:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:24:13 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Last I checked, a zombie can only be stopped with a headshot , so I’ll go with my ACOG.

Q. How many zombies dieing does it take for full depletion of a 30 round mag?

A. 30, if you use an ACOG, and they'll never get close enough to require going Gansta Style.

This is like a debate over Advil or Tylenol....
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:32:35 PM EDT
[#30]
This topic almost seems dupish.

So here's the real reason, we who shelled out the bigger $$$ for the ACOGs need to believe they are better, certainly for what WE use them for.  Those that perhaps buy the optics for CQB get to save money as the EO-thingys cost less.

That's my opinion.

I still like my ACOG.  It does not require batteries, or have to be turned on.  Radioactivity is always on.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:33:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:40:28 PM EDT
[#32]
EOtech on CQB carbine, ACOG on flat top 20" rifle, use EOtech with AA batteries and co-witness irons so that battery life isn't a big issue. That's the plan, I don't have an EOtech or ACOG right now . . .

FWIW: priority is on getting the CQB carbine set up . . . I'll wait longer to get the ACOG.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:47:53 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Yes there is.

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:50:33 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes there is.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v409/Breycor/acog_optima2000.jpg

Wow, I think I need one of those, what's it worth?, and what's it called?....

It's obviously trijicon, what's up with the honeycomb on the forward lens?

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:57:57 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes there is.

That is an ACOG with a Tasco Optima sight attached.  The honeycomb is a killflash that eliminates sunshine glint from the scope lens.

Trijicon seems to have embraced this idea by adding fins to the ACOG that almost looks like blinders to the CQB sight.

It's an expensive proposition, though.  Tasco Optima or the Docter Sight run about $400 in addition to the ACOG.    
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:02:21 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes there is.

It's just an ACOG TA01NSN with an Optima 2000 attached to where the ghost ring used to be.

You probably can still find the Optima 2000 even though it's been out of production for a while. If you can't find one, the Dr. Optic should work.

You'll need to get a special bracket via Knights Armament to attach the red dot.

The "honeycomb" is a Kill Flash.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:03:44 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes there is.

That is an ACOG with a Tasco Optima sight attached.  The honeycomb is a killflash that eliminates sunshine glint from the scope lens.

Trijicon seems to have embraced this idea by adding fins to the ACOG that almost looks like blinders to the CQB sight.

It's an expensive proposition, though.  Tasco Optima or the Docter Sight run about $400 in addition to the ACOG.    

The blinders look like some techno-guided-missle-bullet device out of the future.  Although it may reduce glint, but does it take away from the bright optics?  Is the killflash seperate, or does it have to be ordered attached to the ACOG by one of the many Trijicon numbers?  Is the killflash worth adding?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:08:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Depends on it's intended use.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:12:56 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm a little leary of the Eotech, I saw a brand new 552 "short out" in the rain. Should I give them another chance?

I'm used to using the M-68/aimpoint and it works well for me maybe I just need convincing.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:13:38 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes there is.

The blinders look like some techno-guided-missle-bullet device out of the future.  Although it may reduce glint, but does it take away from the bright optics Maybe about a 5% reduction?  Is the killflash seperate, or does it have to be ordered attached to the ACOG by one of the many Trijicon numbers you can get it separately and it attaches via a rubberband (see pic)?  Is the killflash worth adding? I think it is

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:18:40 PM EDT
[#41]
Thanks for the update.

But I only have a TA-01, and I think I would have to buy a new ACOG for compatibility with the Doctor site, and then I would have to give my old ACOG to my son for his AR.

ETA: Which is better? - Colt, Bushmaster, or Zombie Arms
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:25:53 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
...and then I would have to give my old ACOG to my son for his AR.

Coolest dad ever.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:29:38 PM EDT
[#43]
I could dig a small ditch with a screwdriver!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:33:59 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
You'd probably do a LOT better in the AR15 optics forum.  They have a BUNCH of threads just like this.

AGREED!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:36:36 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...and then I would have to give my old ACOG to my son for his AR.

Coolest dad ever.

When the ban ended, I took all the old parts from my "pre-ban" M-4, bought a lower receiver and 2 other parts, and presented my 19 year old with what was originally my complete original Bushmaster M-4.  After the ban, it was just an old gun.  I have all the new parts in my new Bushmaster AR-15.  I stayed with Bushmaster parts all the way around, so we have 2 very nice guns.  It was a nice feeling to surprise him and present him with his first evil black rifle, and the look on his face was priceless.  We bought a smaller quick access safe for that AR and his 870, He loves that AR, and his friends think its awesome.  I can't wait until he is old enough for a pistol, I'm going to set him up right.

The truth is, I can justify another ACOG to the wife by saying its an uograde for me, and a better site for the son.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:37:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Still haven't found what I like.    Started with an EOtech and that was just God awful.  The parallax *cringe*

About to try a CompM2, which appears decent but the 30mm lens is something to get used to.  When your eye gets used to cheap ass 40mm Optics from Wal-Mart going to 30mm takes practice.

Haven't shot with an ACOG in 2 years but I remember that I liked it.  The price though
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:47:43 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Still haven't found what I like.    Started with an EOtech and that was just God awful.  The parallax *cringe*

About to try a CompM2, which appears decent but the 30mm lens is something to get used to.  When your eye gets used to cheap ass 40mm Optics from Wal-Mart going to 30mm takes practice.

Haven't shot with an ACOG in 2 years but I remember that I liked it.  The price though

I don't have any paralax issues with my EOTech
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:48:56 PM EDT
[#48]
ACOG isn't in the same category as the EO or Aimpoint IMHO.

I like the EOTech though personally. And yes, I've used both.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:58:31 PM EDT
[#49]

Tac-point on a high-point.

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:59:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Get the new elcan cqb / semi sniping sight. It goes from 1x to 4x with the flip of a switch. Really cool, really expensive. Approx $1200.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top