Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2001 3:04:22 PM EDT
I have been looking around at different pda's and want opinions from anyone who uses one.

What should I be looking for and what is useless?

I like the looks of the Palm but they get expensive. The visor seams good for the money.

Chris
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 4:05:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Stinger, I use a Palm Vx.  With the 8MB of memory it will take awhile to fill it.  You can pick one up for $299 and they keep coming down.  Palm is releasing a new version on the Palm V with removable 8MB memory cards.  They will be pricey for awhile, but you can have limitless capacity. The nice thing about going with Palm is most everything on the market works with them.  As far as other makes, they're all based on the same platform.  I'd be lost at work without mine.    
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 4:52:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks T-Blaster, That is the one that keeps catching my eye as it is on clearence most places. My only concern is accessories for a discontinued item. I have found it for 249$ at office depot.

Stinger
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 5:10:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I picked up a Palm m105 about a week ago and love it.  I was looking at purchasing ANY Palm model and decided on the 105.

The m100 was good but the memory was only 2mb.  (The m105 has 8mb.)  It runs a current Palm OS, can beam, and is fast.

I decided against the Palm VIIx because the wireless internet was f*cking EXPENSIVE.  Plus, it had a screen that didn't look as good AND it didn't have the memo pad program.  (The memo pad allows you to write directly to the screen.)

The m500 and m505 were too expensive and did more than I needed.  The Vx was starting to be discontinued.

If you're curious, go to the library and pick up a copy of this month's Consumer Reports.  They've got an update of an earlier report.

Go with the m105; you won't be disappointed.

Oh, and no matter WHAT you purchase make sure to buy a pack of Fellowes brand "WriteRight" screen covers.  They're clear lay-overs that cover the screen.  That way, the stylus/whatever won't scratch the screen.  A pack isn't cheap at $25 but it has a year's supply.

Mike
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 6:32:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Have had a Palm V (2MB)since they first came out, wife has a Visor. Really like the rechargable battery on the V, not using half the 2MB but I only store contacts, memo's and a few games.
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 6:38:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I use a Handspring Visor Prism. Works great for everything I need it to do, and I can upgrade the memory by slapping in a "cartrige" into the back of the Visor.

The Visors will run all Palm OS software.
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 7:41:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the help!

Who online has the best price?

Link Posted: 8/12/2001 7:49:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 12:29:56 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a Palm Vx.  Still learning what it can do.  I also purchased the extra keyboard for use at my desk.  Works great.

I bought my wife and daughter the Palm 100 that uses Daytimer instead of the Palm OS calendar.  They really like theirs.
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 2:39:01 AM EDT
[#9]
I use a Visor DeluXe( 8mb ) as well.

Your choice of colors.  Green is the best.
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 3:55:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Visor Prism user here.

Love the thing to death.

I have been programming for it, keep an eye peeled for my program titled TOPANGA.

Greatest thing since sliced bread.
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 5:21:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Whatever you do, DON'T get a Palm M100.  I had 2 of those things and they were both S@#T.  Even when the batteries were brand new they would always crash and I would lose everything until I could hot sync again, and if I hadn't backed up recently I was screwed.

I ended up getting a Visor Deluxe, and it works great.  Even though it has the same OS it has never crashed on me, and the batteries seem to last twice as long as on the palm.  The one nice thing about the visor is the is you can get the backup cartridge that plugs into the back.

So if you forget to change the batteries, or if you are on a trip you aren't completely screwed until you get home to hot sync again.  I would recommend the visor deluxe, or if you want something faster get the Visor Platinum.

But most importantly, DON'T GET THE M100!
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 11:55:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the help!

Who online has the best price?

View Quote

New?  Nobody.  It's strange- prices are held constant EVERYWHERE.  In fact, businesses that sell Palms are forbidden to list sale prices.  (They just have an ad that says "on sale" and MAYBE an explanation.  Amazon had the first explanation that I understood.)

Used?  Try eBay but be careful.  My friends bought Palm VIIx's and tried to get wireless internet.  Palm told them that they were reported stolen and wouldn't activate the service.  [:(]

Good luck!

Mike
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 12:47:12 PM EDT
[#13]
paper notebook and 50 cent pen. My major complaint with the PDAs is the ones I've seen don't do graphics and scribbling well, which I do a lot. It's also easy to rip out a page and hand it to someone.
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 1:28:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Compaq IPAQ is infinatly better than the palms. As for McGredo you can do graphics and scribbles easily.
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 1:52:59 PM EDT
[#15]
I took a look at the Palm M500 and M505 today. very nice but 450$ and 500$ ia alot for a PDA and is the same price as some of the pocket pc's i have seen.

I have it narrowed down to the visor deluxe or Palm M105 for the wife. figure i will play with it first to see what features i like and then look into one for me. The visor does have a backlit display that the palm does not and also expansion slots that is not on the 105. they are both going for 199$ around here.
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 2:28:56 PM EDT
[#16]
The Palm m500 and 505 are very nice.  If you like to get a good price on these go to www.ubid.com.  It's like e-bay, an auction, but it sells new items, not someone's used items.  I've bought a great deal of computer components through this web sight and I've saved a great deal of money.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top