BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:47:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Time to bring back the lampreys...
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:47:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Somehow, Bush has managed to import these carp?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:48:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Oh noez! It's an AZN INVASION! It's the Chinese! First they send the fish! Then they send the grunts!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:50:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I was expecting an article about an enviro-terror group called C.A.R.P.

I was wondering if they were going to set off a blast at the bottom of Lake Superior and expect all the water to drain out.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:37:34 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Somehow, Bush has managed to import these carp?

Clinton actually. They were first imported to ARKANSAS
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:37:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Oh noez! It's an AZN INVASION! It's the Chinese! First they send the fish! Then they send the grunts!

+1
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:38:59 PM EDT
[#7]
i hope a wave of Asian girls is soon to follow... i loooove me some asian!
me luv you long time!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:39:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:44:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm sure they'll release a finding that they just "happen" to eat gobies, kinda like the gobies just "happen" to eat zebra mussels!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:48:57 PM EDT
[#10]
BFD, it will all balance out.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:55:42 PM EDT
[#11]
<Ernie> "Heerrreeee fishy fishy fishy" </Ernie>

Why not just abollish fishing licenses? Everyone's so worried about over fishing, why not make it work for you?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:07:07 PM EDT
[#12]
sounds like another liberal hippie doomsday alarm....

....now where have i heard that before?

...AWB sunset? NAH

...Bush re-election?  NAH

...Iraq war? NAH
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:08:49 PM EDT
[#13]
nothing gets past the sensationalism filter nowadays
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:23:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Sweet ill have to try and hook a 100 pounder.Hell,maybe he will just jump in.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:37:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Is that a White Perch in the left lower corner?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:38:52 PM EDT
[#16]
How long before "Carp!" is a movie on Sci-Fi?  
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:45:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Carp may be a PITA but them sonsabitches are a riot to catch.
My nephew baggged a 25# carp in an old farm pond.
Took days to land. Got it on Video too.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:46:04 PM EDT
[#18]
I can see an upside to this one!

Youz Guyz better sharpen your skeet shooting skills & I'll fire up the boat!  Them things leap outa the water like clay pigeons flung from one a them fancy assed spring jobbies!

I'm thinkin' 18.125" 12ga & #6 shot and no bag limit.  Sorta like prairie dog blastin'

A whole new sport is just waiting for exploitation I tell ya
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:08:49 PM EDT
[#19]

Illinois enacted a ban on transporting live carp out of fear of a Buddhist tradition that calls for setting one fish free for each one eaten.

Another Religion of Peace down the drain.  So to speak.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:33:16 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
sounds like another liberal hippie doomsday alarm....

....now where have i heard that before?

...AWB sunset? NAH

...Bush re-election?  NAH

...Iraq war? NAH

Sounds like it's not.

Round Goby part 2 anyone??
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:43:25 AM EDT
[#21]
They are not as bad as the Great White carp.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 8:58:52 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:01:42 AM EDT
[#23]
Freshwater sharks are the obvious answer.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:06:16 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I'm sure they'll release a finding that they just "happen" to eat gobies, kinda like the gobies just "happen" to eat zebra mussels!

I thought the zebra mussels already destroyed the Great Lakes?  That's what they were saying 20 years ago when they first came into the system.  Then they started to realize that the mussels actually cleaned up a lot of crap in a Great Lakes.  Then I heard about the gobies and how they are going to destroy the Great Lakes.  There was also the "snakehead" scare and that if they reproduce they will destroy the Great Lakes.  Now it's the Asian Carp.  The Asian Carp are nothing to joke about as many people have gotten hurt and even knocked over board from the stupid fish jumping but I hardly doubt it will destroy the Great Lakes.  Nature is about balance.  Something else will come along that will keep the Carp in check.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:19:09 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/rids/20060220/i/r2870289894.jpg?x=380&y=252&sig=kZg8dWuz2Zn8bR.XtS5odw--

Crappie

White or Black?  I've only ever caught black crappie.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:21:43 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I thought the zebra mussels already destroyed the Great Lakes?  That's what they were saying 20 years ago when they first came into the system.  Then they started to realize that the mussels actually cleaned up a lot of crap in a Great Lakes.  Then I heard about the gobies and how they are going to destroy the Great Lakes.  There was also the "snakehead" scare and that if they reproduce they will destroy the Great Lakes.  Now it's the Asian Carp.  The Asian Carp are nothing to joke about as many people have gotten hurt and even knocked over board from the stupid fish jumping but I hardly doubt it will destroy the Great Lakes.  Nature is about balance.  Something else will come along that will keep the Carp in check.

Nothing has so far. They collapsed the entire aquatic ecoystem in the Illinois River, Arkansas.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:22:22 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
us.news3.yimg.com/us.i2.yimg.com/p/rids/20060220/i/r2870289894.jpg?x=380&y=252&sig=kZg8dWuz2Zn8bR.XtS5odw--

Crappie

That fish is a WHITE BASS
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:30:50 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

WTF!!! Assault Fish!!!

Look up Houndfish.
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:46:39 AM EDT
[#29]
Crap ... Carp ... Whatever.

The zebra mussel cleared up the water - filtered out algae (not crap) - and there are very few walleyes in Saginaw Bay any more.  Clear water = more light, good eating, good sporting fish with big eyes don't like it so bright now, so they go deep.  When walleye are caught in the bay they are generally 5+ miles off shore.

Perch have been WAY down in the bay as of late probably due to gobies.

Many ecologists have concluded the Great Lakes and Mississippi River watersheds need to be separated permanently.

Should never have been connected in the first place.

J.
- Great Lakes Lover and User -

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:47:49 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

It does appear to be.  Edit stupid me - it's a White Bass - I haven't caught one in a number of years.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:41:21 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Crappie

White perch or black perch?  I have only caught perch.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:03:45 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Crappie

Ok, so you don't really fish or at the very least can't recognize them worth shit.  

There is no such thing as a 'black' perch in fresh water.  There is white and yellow.  Idiot.  

Quoted:

Thank you.  Looking at it again, it has a similar profile to a white perch but not as prominent a 'hump'.  And it lacks the stripes of a striped bass.  Most people don't realize that white perch/white bass/striped bass are in the same family.

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:05:15 AM EDT
[#33]
Maybe something for pike and muskies to eat on.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:14:43 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Freshwater sharks are the obvious answer.

With lasers attached to their heads?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:26:28 AM EDT
[#35]
More stupid liberal "enviro-garbage."

In the same article, it says the carp will clear up the water (and they insinuate that's bad), then they say clearing up the water causes algae to grow, which will cloud the water (but that's bad, too).

When will they make up their friggen minds? Geez, we have mild winters and all of a sudden "global warming" is upon us and will destroy us in waves of heat, but then we have harsh winters and they say that's a sign of global warming, too.

Idiots.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:06:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Can you imagine what it would be like to hook into a 100 lbs carp.  It would be like fighting a bulldozer
with a fishing rod.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:09:59 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Can you imagine what it would be like to hook into a 100 lbs carp.  It would be like fighting a bulldozer
with a fishing rod.

If you ever get the chance, i suggest deep sea fishing.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:17:27 AM EDT
[#38]
Just bring a bunch of coonasses there and your problem is solved.(of course you may see a big decline in all your game and other fish too )
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:46:14 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Crappie

Appears its not a perch at all

Ok, so you don't really fish or at the very least can't recognize them worth shit.  

There is no such thing as a 'black' perch in fresh water.  There is white and yellow.  Idiot.  

Quoted:

Thank you.  Looking at it again, it has a similar profile to a white perch but not as prominent a 'hump'.  And it lacks the stripes of a striped bass.  Most people don't realize that white perch/white bass/striped bass are in the same family.

By repeating what you said I was trying to be funny

However since its not a perch at all appears you were wrong.  If you have never seen a Crappie that
is almost all white you have not fished much in the spring when they first come up from deep water.
Even Black Bass are almost white then.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:16:13 AM EDT
[#40]

Illinois enacted a ban on transporting live carp out of fear of a Buddhist tradition that calls for setting one fish free for each one eaten.

Wow those Bhuddhists and their so called "religion of peace"!! They are gonna wreck this planet! They are as dangerous as the fanatical Muslims! Remeber that atroicity when 12 Bhuddhists monks grabbed some German tourists and threatened to er.....um........they ........sheesh i can't remeber.............they uh.............Geez i can't remember because their are SOOOO many incidents like that, that it's just a blur..............Oh yeah i think they threatened to take their picture standing in front of Angkor Wat. But hey they did invent the first suicide bomber! the Kamakazie!
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 1:03:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Clear water is not productive water.

Clear water is low in nutrients, zooplankton and algae which is not good for fishing.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 2:48:53 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Clear water is not productive water.

Clear water is low in nutrients, zooplankton and algae which is not good for fishing.

I know now what to do give the fish, weeds and plants sunglasses.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:02:26 PM EDT
[#43]
This could be fun, get me a baseball bat.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:07:20 PM EDT
[#44]

I can see an upside to this one!

Youz Guyz better sharpen your skeet shooting skills & I'll fire up the boat! Them things leap outa the water like clay pigeons flung from one a them fancy assed spring jobbies!

I'm thinkin' 18.125" 12ga & #6 shot and no bag limit. Sorta like prairie dog blastin'

A whole new sport is just waiting for exploitation I tell ya

not to mention it opens up a whole new arena for the vice president to "send a message" via a tragic boating/shooting accident.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:12:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Seem to me this is a good opportunity to start a new form of sheet shooting.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:46:34 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Crappie

Appears its not a perch at all

Quoted:

By repeating what you said I was trying to be funny

However since its not a perch at all appears you were wrong.  If you have never seen a Crappie that
is almost all white you have not fished much in the spring when they first come up from deep water.

Even Black Bass are almost white then.

I usually fish for them back in Canada in late August.  I use a fly-rod with a Wooly-Bugger.  Not because I want to be all fancy-schmancy, but because they absolutely can't resist it.  Some of those suckers I catch are huge!  I only keep the biggest ones.  I'm aware of catching them in the spring with shiners, but I fish mostly for trout at that time.  If only I had won Powerball and I could fish all the time.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:49:46 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Tomorrow, noon.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 5:54:51 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tomorrow, noon.

Yea sucks the corn right out of you.  We can always spike there dough balls.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top