Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/21/2006 12:40:33 AM EDT
I have 2 dogs and used to have 2 cats. Both cats were all black. One was very cool and even though declawed would bring me lovely mauled gifts. She got into a trap or hit by a car and I had to have her put down.My 2 dogs never messed with her much. She was just above it as cats can be sometimes. My other cat was a little runt I picked up on the golf course.The dogs always harrassed her. She never got into it with them but could have because she wasn't declawed.Anyway...she ran away. Here's the rub. She ran off  to become a wild cat. I shit you not. I see that thing all the time. It's been like three years and I still see her.  At least she was fixed. I sometimes see her miles from the house and sometimes in the neighborhood.She is most certainly wild now to. You can't even get close before she runs off growling and spitting. I think she just got tired of the dogs and said fuck it. My wife thinks it's funny and to be honest so do I. I can't believe she's still alive because I see Coyotes all the time around where I live.It's funny to because I have a soft spot for stray cats and they usually pick up on it. I don't try to pick them up or anything but sometimes if Im in the garage they will come in. One old nasty looking tomcat stopped by one evening and ate a bunch of big moths that would fly into the garage and crash. I tried to give it a little tuna fish and it wouldn't have any. It liked bugs better. Every thing but the wings. Cats...sigh
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:42:22 AM EDT
[#1]
ive got a cat, but no beer
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:53:36 AM EDT
[#2]
What's with all the cat threads lately?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:58:51 AM EDT
[#3]
My cat, Simba, acts like a dog.  He comes when you call him and will actually reply in meows.  He's extremely sociable with people but dislikes other pets.  He likes to lick people.  He's definitely a unique cat.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:03:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Some asked about getting a couple of cats and asked for names.  I suggested Stupid Cunt and Fur Pie.  I'm not sure if he'll go for it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:04:25 AM EDT
[#5]
did you check sgtar15's place?  
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:16:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Time for a cat hunting trip.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:23:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I had a black cat once.  It ran away for over a year then show up on my doorstep.  I would have thought it a different cat except for the scar on it's ears from when it tripped me up on the way to dumping the hot bacon grease.

It was the coolest cat after it showed back up.  Strange.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:17:27 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
did you check sgtar15's place?  

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:56:44 AM EDT
[#9]
some cats are like that. I had a cat that was wild at 1st as a kitten, it was a stray, brought her and 4 others here, she got used to it and was living in the basement with the other cats and did well, you could pet her but she was shy. But less than a year old she wouldn't let you get close to her and she'slived in the garage ever since, going on 11 years. She meows but doesn't really get any closer than 4 or 5 feet up on her rafter. She's the survivor of those kittens also.
I've also had strays that were so wild when they were here 1st that they would hang upside down at the opposite end of their cage when I opened it to put something in it, and they're as friendly as can be now.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:02:55 AM EDT
[#10]
When I first started dating my wife in the earlt 70's she had a rabbit that hung out with the local dog pack.  I go over there one day and this rabbit and 4 dogs are all laying in the front yard keeping an eye on the neighborhood.  Nasty neighbor finally beat it to death because it was chasing his little yappy dog.

My, now, father-in-law, former Marine, mustered all his discipline and went to retrieve the poor Yankee.   He did finally get a measure of revenge.  He called the dog over to the house and called the dog catcher.  Seems it's license had expired and it's was not up to date with any of it's innoculations.  Cost the owner almost $200 in fines and vet fees before he could bring the dog home.  In 1974 that was more than many people's weekly pay.   They also had this hugh yellow tiger cat that always had the rabbit's six.  If a strange dog came into the yard to chase the rabbit the cat would tear out after the dog.  

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:04:23 AM EDT
[#11]
I had a black cat that I found on a four lane highway.  After a couple of years, I moved to a place where I couldn't have her and I gave her away to my best friend.  The cat up and got cancer.  I urged my friend to put her down, but the friend paid a few grand to have the cancer removed and have follow up treatments.

Nine lives
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:34:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:53:13 AM EDT
[#13]
never could figure out people who are intimidated or bothered by some 5 pound animal roaming free. Forbid, a cat out in this big world.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:54:45 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Maybe if your cat was on a leash or confined to your home you wouldn't have this problem.  

Sorry, but I think people should control their pets.  I've never understood why people think it is okay to just let their cats roam free.  Then it is those same people who get all upset when their precious little pet ends up missing or dead.  

Cat's aren't like dogs, they don't maul people.  The don't group up in packs and go around terrorizing neighborhoods, injuring people, and killing all sorts of pets including other dogs.  They also know who their owners are and stay away from strangers.  The only problems cats have are getting hit by cars or people like 1/4 of the people on this site that take pleasure in trapping and killing pets or putting out things like antifreeze to intentionally kill someone's animal.  If you don't like a cat in your yard, get a dog...let them figure it out.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:56:34 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
never could figure out people who are intimidated or bothered by some 5 pound animal roaming free. Forbid, a cat out in this big world.

I can understand it.  Having owned a cat, she always loved to rummage through my garden and use it as her private litter box.  At least she was MY cat.  If it was a neighbor's cat doing the same thing, I would start some trouble with that neighbor.  Or bring out the pellet gun.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:59:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:00:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:02:38 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Maybe if your cat was on a leash or confined to your home you wouldn't have this problem.  

Sorry, but I think people should control their pets.  I've never understood why people think it is okay to just let their cats roam free.  Then it is those same people who get all upset when their precious little pet ends up missing or dead.  

Cat's aren't like dogs, they don't maul people.  The don't group up in packs and go around terrorizing neighborhoods, injuring people, and killing all sorts of pets including other dogs.  They also know who their owners are and stay away from strangers.  The only problems cats have are getting hit by cars or people like 1/4 of the people on this site that take pleasure in trapping and killing pets or putting out things like antifreeze to intentionally kill someone's animal.  If you don't like a cat in your yard, get a dog...let them figure it out.

People who hate cats roaming free seem to fall into three general categories.

(1) people who are fed up with some neighbors cat shitting in their flower patch and knocking over their garbage cans at night

(2) people who are somehow angry because cats kill birds and cute little fuzzy gerbils and stuff like that

(3) people that just hate cats, and use their roaming nature as an excuse to kill them if they are on "my property"

Personally, I have sympathy for (1) since nobody should have to put up with someone elses' animal inconveniencing them.  If the owners refuse to control a pet that is causing damage or inconvenience to others' property, then it is vermin and open season (much as I dislike the killing of pets - and peronally I woudl trap it first and WARN the owners or take it to the pound)

I don't understand (2) and I have a healthy dislike for (3)

I never let my fat and spoiled cats out of the house, because they are so dumb they'd undoubtedly get run over by a car or eaten by a horned owl or something, and because I don't want neighbors to have to deal with MY animals - AND, because I don't them to want to run into some sadistic kid from category (3) who gets a boner from setting cats on fire or something.

So I agree that people SHOULD control their pets, but also agree that roaming cats doesn't usually present the kind of inconvenience or even danger that roaming dogs do.

Just my 2 cents.

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:03:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:04:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:18:06 AM EDT
[#21]
We allow our cat out to roam free.  She brings us back all kinds of little treasures!!  Occasionally she does visit the other neighborhood next door but I'm highly doubting she bothers anyone there because they apparently feed her!!  Cat weighs 8 lbs, only eats half a bowl of food per day at home and has maintained weight.  We can only assume because of this that she's being fed elsewhere.  She always comes home though and stays inside primarily in the winter.  In the summer we often see her strolling down our 3 house lane or lounging in the flowerbed in the sunshine or on the patio.  She has yet to dig in our flower box so I doubt she's doing that to anyone elses.  She's a very prissy kitty, doesn't like her little feet dirty.

The lane has the houses separated pretty far, the other side of our house has two empty building lots, then a huge pasture on the other side where the horses roam.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:24:34 AM EDT
[#22]
"If you love something set it free... if it doesn't come back it must have really hated your ass."
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:26:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:05:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Let your pet peeve become your new hobby,....keeping cats away.

www.bugspray.com/catalog/products/page459.html
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:19:25 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:23:47 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
We allow our cat out to roam free.  She brings us back all kinds of little treasures!!  Occasionally she does visit the other neighborhood next door but I'm highly doubting she bothers anyone there because they apparently feed her!!  Cat weighs 8 lbs, only eats half a bowl of food per day at home and has maintained weight.  We can only assume because of this that she's being fed elsewhere.  She always comes home though and stays inside primarily in the winter.  In the summer we often see her strolling down our 3 house lane or lounging in the flowerbed in the sunshine or on the patio.  She has yet to dig in our flower box so I doubt she's doing that to anyone elses.  She's a very prissy kitty, doesn't like her little feet dirty.

The lane has the houses separated pretty far, the other side of our house has two empty building lots, then a huge pasture on the other side where the horses roam.

So you assume your cat is not annoying anyone.  Do you also assume your cat is safe?

My niece and nephew had a year-old chihuahua.  I kept telling my sister-in-law to keep the damn dog on a leash.  Well, the dog wasn’t being watched when he was let out to potty.  He ended up crawling through a missing board in a fence on the next property over.  Insides that fence were two large pissed off dogs.  They ripped apart the chihuahua while my 7-year old nephew got to watch.  How nice.

Part of the reason I think people should keep their pets inside or confined is for THEIR safety.

11 years of coming and going and never a scratch on her.. yeah, she's a pretty street smart cat. I don't worry about her.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:04:53 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
One more question for all you pet (dogs or cats) owners who let your pets run free, are your pets "fixed" or are they out there creating more little nuisance animals?  Just curious.

Both cats are fixed.  Luckily we have an acre for them to roam if they choose.  I can nearly always find them on our property and have only ONCE found the older one off the property.  He was next door hanging out where about 3 different cats seem to live.  They appear at a certain place on a block wall fence and he often peers down from the wall at their take off point.  He's a scaredy cat when it comes to humans but pretty much a butt kicker when it comes to cats on our property.  Only a few scratches on him and I check him out pretty regular so it doesn't lead to infection.
To the best of my knowledge our cats have only gotten a few birds, maybe 3 or 4 over the years.  I've had more trouble from homeless people on our property than dogs or cats.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top