Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/20/2006 11:21:03 PM EDT
It had to happen eventually. I was headed north of 80mph in third gear, when I saw the door out of my left eye. Oops.

Brief transcript:

"License, registration and insurance please"
"<laughing>, way ahead of you (handing him my paperwork)"
"How fast do you think you were going?"
"Fast enough to get a ticket, I'm sure."
"<chuckles> You had to be going at least 90"
"What did Mr Radar Gun say?"
"68"
"We'll go with that."

He was actually really nice. When we were all done, he thanked me for being so good natured about it and cooperative. He had me dead to rights, all I could do was laugh. It's my first speeding ticket. I think I'm going to frame it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:22:07 PM EDT
[#1]
It was due. How many other tickets did you get away with?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:23:13 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

"What did Mr Radar Gun say?"
"68"
"We'll go with that."

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:32:30 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Is there a word limit on posts?

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:33:44 PM EDT
[#4]
A true Arfcommer would have said "87"
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:34:11 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You must have a CHL!!!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:34:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Like I said, it was probably due. I drive like a freaking maniac. Driving at 110 mph to work is not uncommon. I didn't get a ticket till recently and that was for driving through a red light.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:35:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Could be worse, I've actually been in the car when my friend used the "I don't know officer, my speedo only goes up to 85" line.

Cost him a pretty penny.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:37:12 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You must have a CHL!!!

Why, yes. Yes I do.

I wasn't carrying when he pulled me over, so I didn't mention it. He didn't mention anything either. He knows, though.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:38:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Ahhh....you've paid the Ohio State Revenue Goons handsomely, I see.

Welcome to the Buckeye State, the King & his men thank you for your generous contribution.

It probably didn't help that you were driving a black Mustang GT.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:39:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You must have a CHL!!!

Why, yes. Yes I do.

I wasn't carrying when he pulled me over, so I didn't mention it. He didn't mention anything either. He knows, though.

Yes they do, but I still never fail to mention it.  Best example is 70 in a 30, new car so only my old vehicle was on the insurance card (he didn't even mention that), and he didn't even give me a written warning!!!  Other numerous examples, but that one is the tops.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:50:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Worst ever scare. 3am on my Sportster. Drunk as a circus monkey going about 100 late on a friday night. Sherrif popped me.Asked me how fast I thought I was going. I said at least 95 and he said close I had 98. After he looked at my liscence and registration and commented on my lengthy driving record he let me go. Didn't even write me a warning. I think he new I was drunk and since I was only a mile or so from the house he decided to let me go. He said he wasnt going to write me up because I was honest when he asked me how fast I was going. Worst scare I ever had! I really have a shitty driving record. I've been to defensive driving 4 or 5 times. I've lost count. Almost 2 years ticket free now which is a record for me! Don't flame as I know drunk on a motorcycle is stupid but it was quite a few years ago and I've wised up. I don't even ride sportsters anymore although I still have harleys.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:55:32 AM EDT
[#12]
why would you frame a speeding ticket?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:57:11 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
why would you frame a speeding ticket?

Maybe he likes his girlfriend to dress up in leather and whip him with a riding crop.  Who knows?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:12:59 AM EDT
[#14]
You got a ticket?

Hellooooo!!!

Next time unbutton your shirt.
<-----Means this was a JOKE!!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:15:26 AM EDT
[#15]
hadn't thought of that.

The first thing I thought of are guys that say they've been to prison like it's some badge of honor...
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:17:21 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Worst ever scare. 3am on my Sportster. Drunk as a circus monkey going about 100 late on a friday night. Sherrif popped me.Asked me how fast I thought I was going. I said at least 95 and he said close I had 98. After he looked at my liscence and registration and commented on my lengthy driving record he let me go. Didn't even write me a warning. I think he new I was drunk and since I was only a mile or so from the house he decided to let me go. He said he wasnt going to write me up because I was honest when he asked me how fast I was going. Worst scare I ever had! I really have a shitty driving record. I've been to defensive driving 4 or 5 times. I've lost count. Almost 2 years ticket free now which is a record for me! Don't flame as I know drunk on a motorcycle is stupid but it was quite a few years ago and I've wised up. I don't even ride sportsters anymore although I still have harleys.

Im going to flame anyways, being that drunk driving anything is fucking stupid, and the worse scare you had was getting popped by the police?? how about you think about the lives you could have killed including yours.  Thats what should have scared you more.  I dont give a flying fuck if you have heard this before, you just heard it again.  Maybe it might take losing someone close to you by a drunk driver to be as passionate as i am about stopping drunks from driving.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:27:29 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Im going to flame anyways, being that drunk driving anything is fucking stupid, and the worse scare you had was getting popped by the police?? how about you think about the lives you could have killed including yours.  Thats what should have scared you more.  I dont give a flying fuck if you have heard this before, you just heard it again.  Maybe it might take losing someone close to you by a drunk driver to be as passionate as i am about stopping drunks from driving.

what's worse a drunk driver or a sober red light runner?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:29:13 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
You got a ticket?

Hellooooo!!!

Next time unbutton your shirt.

We've seen your pics!!!  Unfortunately, we can't depend on that like you can.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:55:57 AM EDT
[#19]
"You're not gonna check the trunk, are you?"

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:03:50 AM EDT
[#20]
I remeber a cop telling me someone clocked me doing 120. I had a big grin on my face..
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:04:45 AM EDT
[#21]
We popped a guy the other night doing 112 in a 35. You got it easy...
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:19:25 AM EDT
[#22]
I was in town hot-rodding in my '69 chevelle.
I went past a few middle-school age kids who yelled something like "smoke'em".

I dropped it into first (bad gear ratio, so in-town never gets out of second)
and dumped the clutch.  I let the tires squeel for about a half second.   (show of power)
Ass end slid over a few inches.  (failure to maintain control)

My chambered exhaust, although a reproduction of a factory option, is well beyond the "standard"
noise limit.  (noise limits)

By the time I hit the brakes, I was probably doing 45 in the 30 zone.  (speeding)

I still don't know where the cop was hiding.  

Next thing I know, red-and-blue with a spotlight in my rear-view.

Before he even had a chance to say anything, I say "I'm sorry for driving like
that officer, those kids wanted to see a little show and I started to feel like
a kid again."  

He asked for my license and insurance.  

A few minutes later he came back and asked that I kept it under control.

He could have nailed me for several things.
He had every right to take me to jail.

Luckily, the area I was in was pretty wide open, and not dangerous
for a little stunt like that.  And he was in a good mood.

He let me go with a verbal warning.  

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:23:15 AM EDT
[#23]
"Do you have any idea how fast you were going?"

"Apparently not fast enough...."

Oh, and drunk rider dude, you're lucky you've never killed anyone. Drunk drivers should be publicly flogged.

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:26:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:05:05 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

You know, I never thought about it, but my last ticket was for doing 87 in a 65.  20+ over is 'spensive!    I don't speed so much anymore.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:10:25 AM EDT
[#26]
dude you weight 100lbs

lightweight    
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:11:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Am I reading this correctly?  5'-11" and 100 pounds is SKINNY!  Ain't no damn way you are the one who got this ticket since you post here and we all know arfcommers are fat.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:44:29 AM EDT
[#28]
Last ticket I got:

Cop: "Where you in such a hurry to?"
Me: " The drag strip."

He was good about it, but damn, it was just 80 in a 65--I wasn't even having fun.

I just made a list and I can think of 8 speeding tickets. I think I'm forgetting one, though.

ETA: Oh, I remember--the other one was a seatbelt citation, not speeding.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:51:05 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Looks like you post while drunk also.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:58:21 AM EDT
[#30]
I'd given you a warning. We didn't start writing till 70+.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:08:03 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Am I reading this correctly?  5'-11" and 100 pounds is SKINNY!  Ain't no damn way you are the one who got this ticket since you post here and we all know arfcommers are fat.

Holy crap...I saw that too.

You're 5'11" and weight 100lbs.?? Dude, do you date Olive Oyle??
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:25:05 AM EDT
[#32]
2 lane or 4 lane or ?  How fast did you slow down.

Tips for speeding tickets if you plan on fighting it.
Always ask to see the radar to verify his claim.
Ask him to show his LIDAR Qualification.
Ask to prove when the unit was last calibrated.
and What the +/- accuracy is?

As a first time offender most of the time you can go to court and the judge will let you pay the ticket and it not go on your record if you dont recieve another in the next 6mo. or year.

Other times $150 to a lawyer and $100 fine = Probation 6 months and not having to miss work , assuming you make more than $140 or so a day thats the way to go.

This Method makes the Insurance bill stay down, and they never find out.
Even I have a clean record. They Call them Civil Penalties here.

I was stopped late onenight after a supposed high speed pursuit where a deputy claimed i was exceeding 140mph. I was in a bone stock 95 dodge ram. I just drove very well over the mountains. Maybe 80 at most. After 6 plus cars surrounded me on a dirt road when i was going about 20mph and i was dragged onto the hood and cuffed. I was apologized to and released... Cause the other cops where embarrassed by the claim of 140+ and no radar readings to verify it. The deputy had claimed his caprice was at 155mph on the straight stretches and couldnt gain on me, not to mention he had a buddy riding around with him playing cop that night.

Atleast now the current truck is capable of breaking 120.  Last ticket was 73 in 55, but it was total speed trap, Driving striaght into blinding the setting sun about 5pm. State Police setting on shoulder on corner in the shade totally setting there to get people unable to see the speedo.
6mo no tickets! Home free now.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:27:07 AM EDT
[#33]
You've made us all very proud!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:32:33 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I didn't know Sportsters could even do 100...

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:35:54 AM EDT
[#35]

I don't speed, I do 70mph on the major highways.  It's not my problem that some dummy set the limit at 55.

In town I'm pretty much within 5mph of the limit, surface streets are pretty reasonably set.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:46:27 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I was in town hot-rodding in my '69 chevelle.
I went past a few middle-school age kids who yelled something like "smoke'em".

I dropped it into first (bad gear ratio, so in-town never gets out of second)
and dumped the clutch.  I let the tires squeel for about a half second.   (show of power)
Ass end slid over a few inches.  (failure to maintain control)

My chambered exhaust, although a reproduction of a factory option, is well beyond the "standard"
noise limit.  (noise limits)

By the time I hit the brakes, I was probably doing 45 in the 30 zone.  (speeding)

I still don't know where the cop was hiding.  

Next thing I know, red-and-blue with a spotlight in my rear-view.

Before he even had a chance to say anything, I say "I'm sorry for driving like
that officer, those kids wanted to see a little show and I started to feel like
a kid again."  

He asked for my license and insurance.  

A few minutes later he came back and asked that I kept it under control.

He could have nailed me for several things.
He had every right to take me to jail.

Luckily, the area I was in was pretty wide open, and not dangerous
for a little stunt like that.  And he was in a good mood.

He let me go with a verbal warning.  

And I got ticketed for doing 69 in a 50 on a rural 4 lane divided hway on a sunny day with no other cars in sight. I had a spotless driving record before that. My problem aint with the cops, its with how some of our traffic laws and speed limits are set up.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:58:46 AM EDT
[#37]

And I got ticketed for doing 69 in a 50 on a rural 4 lane divided hway on a sunny day with no other cars in sight. I had a spotless driving record before that. My problem aint with the cops, its with how some of our traffic laws and speed limits are set up.

i actually got a ticket for the exact same speed recently...  69 in a 50.   i live out in the country, and i hadn't even seen another car for the last 15 minutes.  for some stupid fucking reason, there's a reduced speed sign right there on an open highway, and i got popped as soon as i pass it.

there's a few roads around here that are set at 30mph...  it's very difficult to go 30 on a straight country road...
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:07:14 AM EDT
[#38]
I got my first ever speeding ticket the other night.  I was doing about 15 over and came around a corner and saw that green stripe in the dark.  I turned off my brights got over and pulled off and let him come up behind me.  I  was really nice and respectful I thought he was going to let me go.  He didn't but he did write it for 14 over instead of 15.  Lot cheaper and won't go on my permanent CDL record.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:07:49 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

i actually got a ticket for the exact same speed recently...  69 in a 50.   i live out in the country, and i hadn't even seen another car for the last 15 minutes.  for some stupid fucking reason, there's a reduced speed sign right there on an open highway, and i got popped as soon as i pass it.

there's a few roads around here that are set at 30mph...  it's very difficult to go 30 on a straight country road...

If there is no reason for it to be there, it's a speed trap, fight it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:08:24 AM EDT
[#40]
It was the jeans, Subnet...he thought you were a chick

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:12:33 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

If there is no reason for it to be there, it's a speed trap, fight it.

i'll just be taking defensive driving this time.  i'd rather not run the possibility of getting it on my record by fighting it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:13:26 AM EDT
[#42]

Evil lead footed bastard!!    68 in a 55!!    Did you even think about all the little school children??  

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:14:54 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

No, a true Arfcommer would of said "90 and 68???  I'll take both!"
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:16:19 AM EDT
[#44]
I bet you were wearing womens pants while you were speeding! If I were the cop that busted you I would put the Taser to some good use...
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:21:37 AM EDT
[#45]
My personal best (or worst ) would be 130MPH over.

When I was young and considerably more stupid, I used to road-race my tracked out ZX-6R on the backroads around my Grandmothers house in King William VA.

There is one stretch of macadam that was about 2 miles long and almost perfectly straight. The only problem with it is that the road is marked 35MPH . . . something that is routinely ignored by everyone.

One day I was out riding decided to let her rip down that stretch of road. I hit about 165MPH and the same moment I saw the State Trooper waiting for idiots like myself.

It's a long story, but he only wrote me a ticket for 54MPH because I wasn't an asshole and didn't try to run.

Disconnector

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:28:47 AM EDT
[#46]
I got a ticket in Maryland coming down 522 into WV for doing 60 in a 35. I was coming right off the interstate, zoomed down the hill and right where the speed limit changed, he was.

$120 later and I had no points on my license, no effect on my insuranance and the ticket wasn't reckless or anything(which it should have been)

They just wanted my money.

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 11:52:18 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

It says (correctly) 180. It just didn't come through the copies, and it's hard to tell in the picture.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 11:56:56 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It says (correctly) 180. It just didn't come through the copies, and it's hard to tell in the picture.

180lbs aint fittin into no girls jeans...

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:05:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Ah, the Ohio Revenue Machine strikes again.

I got one in '94 for 67 in a 55

Middle of the night, one other car on the road who couldn't maintain a steady speed. So I passed him. N/B US23 in Marion County. OHP didn't want to hear it...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top