bd
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:36:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Scores.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:43:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:14:50 PM EDT
[#3]
The last time I was in New York City I visited the top of the World Trade Center.  It was a calm day so they let us up on the roof.  That was really interesting.  And a long time ago.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:17:52 PM EDT
[#4]
If you have the time....

- Radio City Music Hall
- Rockefeller Center
- The American Mueseum of Natural History
- The Metropolitan Museum of Art
- St. Patrick's Cathedral
- Park Avenue (It will ALWAYS be the Pan-Am building to me, dammit!)
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:19:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Eat pizza.  Anywhere in the city.  It's almost impossible to find bad pizza in NYC.

If you can, see a sporting event at MSG.  Fans there are different than anywhere else on earth.  If baseball season is on, or even not, go to Yankee Stadium purely for the history.

+1 on the cathedral and old churches, museums, etc.

If you want to see how New Yorkers live, walk around Central Park (during the day) and take the subway.  Times Square can be interesting, same with Rockefeller Center.

I'm not much for "urban" life, so I tend to underappreciate it and minimize my time there, but it was pretty much the capital city of the 20th century world, so looking at the projection of power, influence, and wealth is interesting.  
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:30:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Magnolia's Bakery for some cup cakes.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:36:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:40:45 PM EDT
[#8]
south street seaport  very touristy

for the best in chineese food you must go to Wo Hop   17 mott st  go to the one downstairs.

you will owe me for this one
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:54:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Isn't the USS Intrepid moored on Manhattan Island? Been a while since I was there, but I recall that it is.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:00:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Once on a photo shoot I went to a high end soul food restaurant called Elizabeths recommended to us by the concierge at our hotel. I honestly don't think he thought a group of white folks would go there but we hopped into a cab and went there.

Honestly, it was one of the best meals I've ever had. Even got to taste some $135-for-three-fingers'-worth whisky... (it was goooood). I had the catfish.

Also, if you get a chance, (and it's still there), hit the Tribeca grille. It's part-owned by Robert Deniro. Great (though pricey) burgers there.

(Tribeca was a cool place regardless when I was there 9 or 10 years ago)
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:24:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Fountain Pen Hospital- if they're still operating (were right near WTC).  Great selection of pens.
Some great cigar shops and watch stores.  Nat Sherman, Davidoff (maybe?), others I can't recall.
Flashdancers, right by David Letterman's "theater", was my favorite strip club.  Don't use your credit card at Scores- they might add a few zeros to your tip.

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:01:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Gray's Papaya for a true NYC hot dog

Joe's Pizza on Bleeker and Carmine for a true NYC pizza pie

Blue Water Grille for the lobster club sandwich

Museum of Modern Art (I think Crye Precision will have armor and stuff at an exhibition there)

Cooper Hewitt Museum (Last summer, there was an exhibit of exotic materials, like kevlar and carbon fiber/spacesuit stuff - Crye Precision was there as well with armor)

Haydn Planetarium at the Rose Space Center (I think this is part of the Museum of Natural History) - awesome planetarium show

Lucky Cheng's Chinese restaurant for a hell of a surprise...

I love NYC. It's impossible not to have a good time as long as you're not in a hurry to get anywhere.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:45:33 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Eat pizza.  Anywhere in the city.  It's almost impossible to find bad pizza in NYC.

Oh, dear LORD yes!

Pizza and a pitcher of cold TAP WATER is always the first thing I eat when I get there.

Yes, I said TAP WATER. The finest-tasting water in the world is found in NYC, believe it or not.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:48:10 PM EDT
[#14]
dark and light beer at McSorley's

bagels
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:15:50 PM EDT
[#15]
it's the crown jewel of our country...the greatest city on Earth.

enjoy
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:46:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Times Square, catch a show, Diamond district (W47th bet 5-6 aves)Intrepid West st @W42nd
Pizza Angelos coal fired pizza W57 bet 6th & 7th aves.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:40:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I just went this dec.

Check out the Metropolitian Museum of Art. Art from all over the world. They have a NICE arms and armor exhibit.

I went during the STUPID STRIKE, so some of the exibits were closed. But they have a cool Americana collection, with Washing Crossing the Delaware.

If you like Art, look at MoMA and the Guggenheim.

Also look at Time Square - just a great place to hang out. Get lost and try a restaurant. They have GREAT food there.

Then there is the National History Museum - a ton of stuffed animals, dinosaurs, meteors, the largest saphire, and human artifacts from around the world.

Dont for get the statue of liberty (get tickets in advance) the empire state building (ditto) grand cetnral station and the public library.

If you are religious, take in a mass at one of the many beautiful churches.

Good luck - have fun - I LOVED it when I went. My friend just came back from the premiere of the filme he edited and was equally in love with it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:46:20 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Besides Ground Zero, SOL, ESB...

Thanks,

bd

Definately check out the Intrepid Museum, it's a must-see.

If you are visiting the statue of Liberty, I recommend that you also check out Ellis Island which is a short ferry ride away. It's pretty interesting to see the place where millions of immigrants arrived legally in the US and helped contribute to this nation.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:50:38 PM EDT
[#19]
I was supposed to go right after Christmas, but we missed the train, saw it pulling away from the station even.

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:30:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Get a BJ from one of our world famous Crack Whores!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:38:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Stop by various firehouses throughout the city and get some shirts. Most of them have thier own for sale.

And hit the FDNY museum. Lotsa good exhibits and many artifacts from WTC.

And hit McSorley's Bar. And the Spring St. Bar.

Walk around Times Square and surrounding areas. See the usual stuff.

Take the subway. There are "interesting" people there.

Eat in Little Italy.

Overall, enjoy your experience. I always do.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 8:58:13 PM EDT
[#22]
What exactly do you want to see?  This city has the world to offer...

Most above covered the normal spots that one must see. (although the entrepid is  @ west side hwy., not west st.)

I can provide you with some tips on how not to be a potential target:

Know your subway route.  Understand that a Brooklyn bound train running through Manhattan N/S is running south.  The trains are not well labled and to the untrained ear, the loudspeaker is unintelligable.  "Spresss stops, this train makin spresss stops" means that you are on the express train.

People in NYC are friendly, we have no problem giving directions, but "excuse me?" will not often deter us from continuing on our path.  If you need help finding something, just ask (without the excuse me, or sir, etc.) "Hey, Where can I find (whatever)?".    This is not because people in NY are assholes, we have too many bums, homeless, scam artists, etc.

I see many tourists that often respond to the homeless/beggar crowds (because they had a cool sign, etc.)  Please DO NOT give these people money.

Again, there is a lot to see, I would be happy to help, let me know what you are looking for in NY.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:26:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Grey's papaya's in the west village. The BEST damn hotdogs ever. Also the village is fun if your into art, music, and wierdness. Canal street area also has some great army supply places.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 9:37:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Hunts Point Market around 2-3am
Coney Island Nathans
Crown Heights and BedSty
Hollis Queens
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:08:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Must do: Give Kofi Annan and Michael Bloomberg the bird.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:19:51 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Coney Island Nathans
Crown Heights and BedSty
Hollis Queens

You are F'ed up LOL!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:21:56 PM EDT
[#27]
NEW YORK CITY!!!!..........GET A ROPE.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:28:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Second vote for the Diamond district,  Nat Shermans for a cigar,  Empire State Building, go for a ride on the subway say from Times Square to ground zero and back (unless you want to go someplace else), lunch in China Town, Bars= Jekyll and Hydes, Live Bait, McSorleys.  If you like German food Zum Stammtisch in Queens, Carmines for Italian in Manhattan or Puglia's in Little Italy (which is also in Manhattan). Scores is expensive, but the women are world class if you are into strip clubs.  Try to find a Rolex knock off in China Town for $15 or a really good one for more. Ride the Ferris Wheel in Toys R Us in Times Square.  Planet Hollywood , Harley Davidson Cafe, Hard Rock Cafe etc.  Sparks Steak House to see where Paul Castellano was murdered by Gotti.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 10:55:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Ah, marone! Finally, a-sumabuddy asaid a Little Italy!

Last time I was down in Little Italy, I ate dinner at some place on the northern most street in the Little Italy neighborhood; I was treated like the Prodigal Son and even got to share a booth with "Don Wimpy."

"Don Wimpy" was a very, very nice Italian man "in da caa business."
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 1:53:50 AM EDT
[#30]
tag for ideas
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:39:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Put on a blackface and cruise Bensonhurst or Howard Beach
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:44:53 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Coney Island Nathans
Crown Heights and BedSty
Hollis Queens

+1

The touristy parts aren't nearly as memorable.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:02:38 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Coney Island Nathans
Crown Heights and BedSty
Hollis Queens

+1

The touristy parts aren't nearly as memorable.

You can get neat souvenirs at Hunts Point. You'll always remember your trip.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:06:45 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Besides Ground Zero, SOL, ESB...

Thanks,

bd

Rockefeller Center. Tour NBC studios there.

Catch a show on Broadway. They sell discounted tickets (at the TKTS place in Times Square) but it could be a waste of time because you may not even get a ticket for waiting in line. Try to get tickets to The Late Show through their website. Don't bother waiting in line for extra seats, it's first-come first-serve and there may be no extra seats.

Ellis Island.

The Bronx has the New York Botanical Garden if you are into plants and flowers.

You can't tour the NYSE at Wall Street so don't bother going there. It's just a ton of offices.
Trump Tower (on Fifth Avenue where the Apprentice people live) is not worth the visit. It's just offices, restaurants and stores.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:25:42 AM EDT
[#35]
+1 for vmpglenn choices.

Some places not mentioned yet:

* I would also check out Central Park.  The zoo their is small but cool.  They also have an ice rink.
* You can check out the NYSE but you can't go down on the floor.
* If you goto Ground Zero go over to the World Financial Center by the water (Battery Park).
* Canal St get yourself a Roblex!!  Also, Canal is where China Town and Little Italy start.

Best way to get around is by subway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top