Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/20/2006 5:03:13 PM EDT
Have you ever purchased a firearm from an individual off of Gun Broker?  I have purchased from a dealer before but never an individual.  I am curious how the purchase went for you?  Any problems?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:05:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I've made 3 purchases. Two went great. One got hung up on my FFL's end because he threw a hissy fit that an FFL was included in the package.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:07:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought they were susposed to send a copy.  Is that not the case?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:09:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I purchased my Glock 19 from Gunbroker.com.  I was very pleased w/ everything except for the patience required to wait for everything to arrive and be shipped out.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:14:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I thought they were susposed to send a copy.  Is that not the case?

Handguns have to go FFL-to-FFL I believe. A rifle to an FFL can come from an individual out of state, as long as the transfer goes through an FFL in the state of the recipient.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:14:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Any precautions I should take?  I have been told to use a USPS money order to make payment.  Anything else I should do?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:16:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Have not bought anything off of gunbroker.  I haven't found any "deals/steals" on there.  Also, my local gun shop can get me better deals than I can get off of gunbroker after I have to pay shipping and FFL costs if I bought off of 'broker.  The only forseeable reasons to use gunbroker are:

1.  Rare/hard to find gun
2.  You find a great deal
3.  Your local gun shop is a rip-off shop
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:17:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I have purchased twice from individuals on Gunbroker.com once went extremely smoothly the 2nd time was just sheer luck that it went smoothly as the guy didn't even ship the handgun priority mail, and just sort of wrapped it in a shirt.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:23:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Done a lot of good deals except one guy that advertised just about any current production gun you could want but after winning the bid it became clear he had no inventory and would just order it from the mfg. once your order was paid. That was 2-3yrs ago, never did get a .45.......... bastard.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:24:23 PM EDT
[#9]

I bought a $4,000 Steyr Aug last year...the deal was smooth as silk. No one problem.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:25:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I've ordered a barrel off of Gunbroker before. It went very smooth.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:29:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I have made 7-8 purchases off there problem free. Most were between $300-$700.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:45:23 PM EDT
[#12]
No problems yet.  I try to find local sellers that allow face to face deals
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:47:05 PM EDT
[#13]
I have bought and sold several guns on Gunbroker.com and have been 100% satisfied until the last one which was about a month ago.  I sold a rifle to a very nice fellow in Florida, and the FFL on his end was a stupid dickhead.

He at first refused to let the guy have his rifle until I mailed him a copy of my FFL.  I called the jerk and told him that I did not have an FFL and that it was perfectly legal for a non-licensee to transfer a rifle to a FFL holder.

Then he changed his story when I refused to budge.  He then told me that he needed me to fill out a "special form" that had my fingerprints on it?!  I very politely told him that he was full of shit and I hung up on him.

I called the BATFE field office and explained the situation to an agent.  The agent was very nice.  I gave all of this idiot's contact info and used the phrase "possible firearms theft" in the conversation.  The agent called the asshat FFL holder and when I called him back he was sweet as sugar and said that the customer had already picked up his rifle.

This is the only negative experience dealing with firearms that I've ever had and was in no way Gunbroker's fault.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:47:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Bought a 1,000 dollar weapon off gunbroker, no issues.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:47:59 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
One got hung up on my FFL's end because he threw a hissy fit that an FFL was included in the package.

What do you mean?  Can ya give some details on this?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top