User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/20/2006 3:47:19 PM EDT
Via Drudge

Bush: U.S. on Verge of Energy Breakthrough

Feb 20, 5:32 PM (ET)

By DEB RIECHMANN

MILWAUKEE (AP) - Saying the nation is on the verge of technological breakthroughs that would "startle" most Americans, President Bush on Monday outlined his energy proposals to help wean the country off foreign oil.

Less than half the crude oil used by refineries is produced in the United States, while 60 percent comes from foreign nations, Bush said during the first stop on a two-day trip to talk about energy.

Some of these foreign suppliers have "unstable" governments that have fundamental differences with America, he said.

"It creates a national security issue and we're held hostage for energy by foreign nations that may not like us," Bush said.

Bush is focusing on energy at a time when Americans are paying high power bills to heat their homes this winter and have only recently seen a decrease in gasoline prices.

One of Bush's proposals would expand research into smaller, longer-lasting batteries for electric-gas hybrid cars, including plug-ins. He highlighted that initiative with a visit Monday to the battery center at Milwaukee-based auto-parts supplier Johnson Controls Inc. (JCI)

During his trip, Bush is also focusing on a proposal to increase investment in development of clean electric power sources, and proposals to speed the development of biofuels such as "cellulosic" ethanol made from wood chips or sawgrass.

Energy conservation groups and environmentalists say they're pleased that the president, a former oil man in Texas, is stressing alternative sources of energy, but they contend his proposals don't go far enough. They say the administration must consider greater fuel-efficiency standards for cars, and some economists believe it's best to increase the gas tax to force consumers to change their driving habits.

During his visit to Johnson Controls' new hybrid battery laboratory, Bush checked out two Ford Escapes - one with a nickel-metal-hybrid battery, the kind that powers most hybrid-electric vehicles, and one with a lithium-ion battery, which Johnson Controls believes are the wave of the future. The lithium-ion battery was about half the size of the older-model battery. In 2004, Johnson Controls received a government contract to develop the lithium-ion batteries.

While Bush is highlighting his budget proposals to help wean America from foreign oil, the lab he visited is meeting a $28 million shortfall by cutting its staff by 32 people, including eight researchers.

"Our nation is on the threshold of new energy technology that I think will startle the American people," Bush said. "We're on the edge of some amazing breakthroughs - breakthroughs all aimed at enhancing our national security and our economic security and the quality of life of the folks who live here in the United States."

Later Monday, Bush visited the United Solar Ovonics Plant, which makes solar panels, in Auburn Hills, Mich., outside Detroit. "This technology right here is going to help us change the way we live in our homes," Bush told reporters.

Bush said he was impressed with the growing commercial uses of solar energy.

"Roof makers will one day be able to make a solar roof that protects you from the elements and at the same time, powers your house," Bush said. "The vision is this - that technology will become so efficient that you'll become a little power generator in your home, and if you don't use the energy you generate you'll be able to feed it back into the electricity grid."

Rep. Ed Markey, D-Mass., questioned Bush's energy policies Monday, saying the administration also supports subsidies for luxury SUVs.

"This single tax subsidy dwarfs anything being done for hybrid batteries," Markey said in a news release.

On Tuesday, Bush plans to visit the Energy Department's National Renewable Energy Laboratory in Golden, Colo., to talk about speeding the development of biofuels.

As a complement to Bush's travels, six Cabinet officials are crisscrossing the nation this week, appearing at more than two dozen energy events in more than a dozen states.

Wonder what it is, and how long before the "breakthrough".
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:51:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:52:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I saw something just recently about huge improvements in solar cells, like 100x more effective.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:55:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, my car runs on GAS not some mythical future power source.

The onlybreakthrough I'd care to hear about is drilling some holes in Alaska.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:56:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Finally!  Anti-matter warp drives for our grocery getters!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:56:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Wonder what it is, and how long before the "breakthrough".

It's nucular energy!!!

(Somebody had to say it)
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:59:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:Wonder what it is, and how long before the "breakthrough".

Harnessing the hot air from the Hill?

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:00:19 PM EDT
[#7]
.....in the 40watt range no less
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:01:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:05:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Faith-based cars that run on the Power of Christ!

The Power of Christ Propels you

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:07:57 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Oh crap.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:08:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Could any human with an IQ over, say 110, possibly believe that modern man, our US economy and/or greedy white businessmen would possibly even let us come close to running out of the catalyst of our economy?????   Is that possible???  Is it a form of manipulation or simple gullibility that makes the little red hens run?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:09:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:09:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:10:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

that's funny you
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:12:45 PM EDT
[#15]
May be they got the Mr. Fusion from Back To the Future Working. Better save my bananna peels!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:14:22 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

that's funny you

I wish I thought of it.  I ripped it off from somebody else.  I was in stitches, though.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:16:14 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Could any human with an IQ over, say 110, possibly believe that modern man, our US economy and/or greedy white businessmen would possibly even let us come close to running out of the catalyst of our economy?????   Is that possible???  Is it a form of manipulation or simple gullibility that makes the little red hens run?

Parents dropped you a lot when you were younger, eh?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:20:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:21:29 PM EDT
[#19]

There is a patent in the process of expiring:

Alpha-Beta Voltaic battery

the pics used to show up ... hmmm.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:23:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:26:45 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

"The savings don't stop.  Tell a friend."
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:27:35 PM EDT
[#22]
It's already been developed and built.  Trouble is, the inventor dissappeared and said he'll destroy it if anyone tries to take it...

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:28:21 PM EDT
[#23]
When we're really on the edge of a breakthrough, you'll be able to tell.  

The OPEC countries will be building pyramids with all the bricks they start s#!tting.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:28:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Bush is here in Colorado to stop by the National Renewable Energy Laboratory.

He just landed with a bunch of helicopters walking distance from my work.  It was cool.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:29:34 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:31:13 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Your mother sniffs socks that smell!

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:31:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:32:41 PM EDT
[#28]
Should a new practical energy source be miraculously be developed and the price of oil completely crash...the implications would be unbelieveable.

The level of importance of the entire Middle East would be wiped out.  Their source of wealth and subsequently political influence would be GONE.  They would be about as influential as most of Africa in global affairs.

They'd be pissed.  Given their lack of economic diversity, they'd starve...and I don't think they'd go out quietly.  Think of it as riots by welfare recipients if their entitlement checks (i.e. oil) were suddenly yanked...though on a much more massive scale and blame the rest of the world for their problems.

...and I don't think they'd go out quietly.  The rest of the industrialized world would have a HELL of a mess on their hands.

I met an old, long time crude trader once (dont remember his name) and we discussed briefly this matter, and I voiced my concerns.  He agreed with me.  He concured that the biggest fear of the savy Middle East oil field owners were long term soaring oil prices...as it would mean their gravy-train was over as new technology would surely be developed.

Then the shit hits the fan.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:39:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Wouldn't it be funny if he's been brainstorming with Tony Blair and this "energy breakthrough" is actually a 95% tax on gasoline sales. Stupid brits.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:39:42 PM EDT
[#30]
There would still be a market in petrochemicals. I just hope that we'd be able to provide our own needs in that regard.

I would LOVE to see the ME has to drink their oil.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:40:55 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Shit, the company that developed it used to be here in Portland.  Out of business now, apparently.  If the thing works like they say, you could power your house for years with something the size of a water heater.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:41:07 PM EDT
[#32]
My God, there really are seemingly intelligent people who believe that barbaric bull shit.

The world will not come grinding to a halt.  We will not die out overnight like the dinosaurs supposedly did.  The sun made every single source of energy and it will continue to do so.  

When the oil fields start to go dry man will of necessity, find a new source.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:43:08 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
My God, there really are seemingly intelligent people who believe that barbaric bull shit.

The world will not come grinding to a halt.  We will not die out overnight like the dinosaurs supposedly did.  The sun made every single source of energy and it will continue to do so.  

Will man find a way to get more air when he's doing a cave dive 85 feet down and he runs his tank dry?  Out of necessity?

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:44:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:44:35 PM EDT
[#35]
I dont think we are near a "breakthrough" but I know that Lithium Ion battery preformance is being pushed for applications in hybrid cars... Also Supercapacitors are in the development stage that could also help. Lithium Ion prices will drop over time as thier use is increased.

IMO bush is full of BS he touts his plan to cut mid-east oil while he has no plans to pay for it andx cuts funding on research.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:46:44 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Will man find a way to get more air when he's doing a cave dive 85 feet down and he runs his tank dry?  Out of necessity?

Where's the similarity in the metaphor?

I'm just saying necessity doesn't guarantee we get what we want/need.

The similarity is running out of something we need.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:49:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Its biodiesel.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:49:56 PM EDT
[#38]
They are going to make biodeisel from all of the dead birds falling
from the sky inflicted with bird-flu.

Hey, make lemonade

GM
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:51:29 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:52:01 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Well, my car runs on GAS not some mythical future power source.

The onlybreakthrough I'd care to hear about is drilling some holes in Alaska.

My you are incredibly short sighted. Why wouldn't you want to get your home electricity from solar panels on your roof instead of the utilities? There are people right now who sell power TO the utilities and get a CREDIT every month. Or would you rather keep shoveling more and more money to greedy energy, gas and oil companies? Electricity from renewable sources means less profit to Big Oil and the terror supporting countries.

Sadly the oil companies will spend all of that profit not on new sources of oil but on trying to strifle innovation in renewable sources. They fear the day that you can "fuel up" your car's energy source by solar panels on your garage roof, and run your home air conditioning from panels on your home.

In fact it would make them (and the middle east) irrelevant.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:52:06 PM EDT
[#41]
ANY move by the current administration will be "not enough".  We could have a million jigawatt battery the size of a toothpick and the naysayers would find fault.  The topic is on the table and is being discussed at the highest levels. THAT, My friends is progress.  LED lighting technology is going to save a bunch of energy as well.  Look how long these little bulbs can run on a regular battery.  Saving electricity is a huge step as well.  It ain't all doom and gloom, no matter what the chicken littles say....
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:52:15 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

The difference is that we're not all going to run out in the next hour and all die less than three minutes later.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:53:44 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where's the similarity in the metaphor?

I'm just saying necessity doesn't guarantee we get what we want/need.

I understand.
However, we DO have many alternate technologies. They just haven't been cost-effective.

I agree completely.
Like you said, the cost-effectiveness...None will support the abundance (in terms of wealth, lifestyle, standard of living etc) we are experiencing on cheap oil.  Not in their current incarnations anyway.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:53:46 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
ANY move by the current administration will be "not enough".  We could have a million jigawatt battery the size of a toothpick and the naysayers would find fault.  The topic is on the table and is being discussed at the highest levels. THAT, My friends is progress.  LED lighting technology is going to save a bunch of energy as well.  Look how long these little bulbs can run on a regular battery.  Saving electricity is a huge step as well.  It ain't all doom and gloom, no matter what the chicken littles say....

+1 on the LEDs. Do you guys notice that (at least in my area - Illinois) nearly all new traffic lights are being done with LEDs? They're brighter and consume far less power.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:54:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:54:54 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It's already been developed and built.  Trouble is, the inventor dissappeared and said he'll destroy it if anyone tries to take it...

I feel a deep, mysterious urge to move to Colorado.

If you own a factory, make sure you blow it up first...
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:54:59 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The difference is that we're not all going to run out in the next hour and all die less than three minutes later.

Certainly.  I'm just saying wanting or needing something doesn't guarantee we get it.  I figured that everyone has had enough life lessons to know that one unless they've been awfully spoiled.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:56:29 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
In-Situ oil shale extraction.

I do Geographic Information Systems work for major O&G outfits.  A lot of my mapping work here in CO has been out on the Naval Shale Oil Reserves.

Colorado could have another boom over shale oil.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:56:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:57:20 PM EDT
[#50]
By useing magnetic reversal principals & anti-gravitational gyroscopes along with some nuclear fusion,  I have developed a method to produce an unlimited free power supply.  I came up with the idea after eating some homemade chili.. Its a gas! ha.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top