Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2006 8:00:22 PM EDT
Or how many could be fielded if the world went on a war footing due to an invasion from ?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:01:45 PM EDT
[#1]
All of them.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:02:44 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
All of them.

Really!!!  What would the number be or a good guess any way.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:03:41 PM EDT
[#3]
A lil over six billion people.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:04:43 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
A lil over six billion people.

Minus the French...
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:05:20 PM EDT
[#5]

You mean number of armies, or number of men under arms?

Technically, I'd assume that most countires (except little tropical islands, and miniature European "states") have some sort of army they can field.  So the number is probably around 120-150 or something?  

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:07:37 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
You mean number of armies, or number of men under arms?

Technically, I'd assume that most countires (except little tropical islands, and miniature European "states") have some sort of army they can field.  So the number is probably around 120-150 or something?  

I guess I mean the number of armies.  

I forget the number but there is # = 1 Army/Corp.  Kind of like so many men in a polatoon, Company , Division, ect.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:07:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm honestly not up on things enough to give a valid answer, hence my reply.

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:09:53 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'm honestly not up on things enough to give a valid answer, hence my reply.

Well evry thread needs at least one smart assed answer.  And yours was it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:13:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Yours is an undefined question.

Even within the USA DOD "Armies" have no standard manpower allocation.   Roughly One army means two (or more Corps).  A Corps equals three (or more divisions, or less if Task Forces are involved).   A Division varies greatly in manpower.  For example a heavy armored division will have fewer personnel than an infantry division - even though both will have tanks.

Now get into foreign militaries, where a division frequently has fewer people than a US Division...

oh heck - you get my meaning...   "Armies" is a really lousy measure of how many folks on this planet would be available to fight off aliens :-)
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:15:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Uh, one army per country.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:19:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

That's what I thought, but I guess in WW2, countires like the U.S. and Germany (and I assume russia and others) used "army" as a very large unit designation.

I seem to recall that the Germans lost an "army" in Stalingrad, didn't they?

But I don't believe there is a fixed size for what an army in that sense of the word means, bblake00

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:19:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I guess each General got to command his "Army"
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:23:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's what I thought, but I guess in WW2, countires like the U.S. and Germany (and I assume russia and others) used "army" as a very large unit designation.

Army Groups even. The Germans deployed three Army Groups (North, Center, South) for the invasion of the Soviet Union.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:23:48 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I seem to recall that the Germans lost an "army" in Stalingrad, didn't they?

But I don't believe there is a fixed size for what an army in that sense of the word means, bblake00

I'm basiing my question on the WWII setup.  I should have stated that in the original question.  But yes there were several "armies" in theater under US comand at the time of WWII but then I also thing it was a regional thing as well.  For each theater of war there where so many armies under so and so's command.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top