Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2001 10:11:22 AM EDT
    The time has come to get a new set of tires on my truck and I would appreciate any ideas on what might be best.
    Currently, they are 305/70R16 load range D.
Goodyear Wrangler at/s on a Ford F350 crew cab fleetside 4X4, used mostly on the highway. We take it off road once or twice a month, but nothing serious. We also haul a medium sized horse trailer and occasionally a heavy load of hay.
    Any ideas?
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 10:23:19 AM EDT
[#1]
you are not going to have much of a choice
in that size. i manage a auto center that
sells goodyear tires. stick with the goodyear
tires. they may cost a little more but you
get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 10:26:15 AM EDT
[#2]
GWF, i see that you are in AZ. just go to one of those llanteria's (mexican tire shops) in South Phoenix.  they'll take care of you. they have all the sizes.
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 10:48:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I have never been a Goodyear fan. Try a set of Toyo at's. They have a mud and a highway design also. Only my .02, but they ride better and seem to get more miles out of them. Price probably comparable to Goodyear's.
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 11:50:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I am an independent tire dealer in TX-here are my .02 cents:  Cooper tire is now making 305/70 r16, their brand or any of their private labels will do good off-road, and should do good on a fixed axle 4x4 like yours as far as highway driving is concerned.  Keep in mind that you lose some load carrying capacity in 305's.  The other two choices would be 285/75 r16, which have enough load capacity for all 99 and forward ford SD's.  Most brands do well in this size.  The other would be 315/70 r16 and 315/75 r16.  The first is goodyear only and new to the market and fairly pricey, the latter is private label kelly and available through any TBC (cordovan, sigma, multi-mile) private label and some other smaller kelly labels.  I LIKE the 315/75r16 in the DTX tread pattern, works really good in wheels up to 16x12 and wears like iron.  They tend to balance very well on a good wheel.
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 11:52:42 AM EDT
[#5]
BFG All-Terrains.  Excellent highway wear, great off-road, goood ride.  Your truck will go places in 2wd with BFG's on it than it went in 4wd with anything else.  You may want to go to a 315/75 to get a little more ground clearance.
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 11:58:05 AM EDT
[#6]
    ARjunky, I agree. I don't want to go with Goodyear again. The size is not all that critical either, as I will be replacing all four tires.
    I would rather deal with a well known company.
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 12:49:52 PM EDT
[#7]
BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A, BF Goodrich Commercial T/A, General Grabber AP or AT, or Remington (can't remember the style.)
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 12:53:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
BFG All-Terrains.  Excellent highway wear, great off-road, goood ride.  Your truck will go places in 2wd with BFG's on it than it went in 4wd with anything else.  You may want to go to a 315/75 to get a little more ground clearance.
View Quote

BFG's get my vote too. Excellent tire
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 1:03:10 PM EDT
[#9]
[i] Trying to compare apples to apples here...... [/i]

In all fairness ANY of the big three (auto makers) phuck up from tome to time,,,,,,, OK - that's being a little too generous - unless you pay extra, you're going to get whatever rubber the lowest bidder is pushing at the time.
That's not all bad, we all know that the original set of tires serve just fine 95% or the time.  
I've had some really crappy tires supplied with new trucks over the last 32 years.

My first [u]new[/u] truck was a 71 C-10 w plain Goodyears I don't want to admit how many miles I put on them (but they never leaked with a lot of fabric showing).
The 2nd was a 73 Cheyenne (Nicest GM PU at the time - there was no Silverado yet), I paid extra for (Goodyear sponsored) Vogue car tires on it (I don't even know if Vogue is still around), never expected to load them, but I did of course  (40 sheets of 4'x8'  ½" CDX hundreds of times), those damned tires lasted 60k, when they gave out there was no warning at all (I know - "WTF is he talking about, the idiot can't treat a car tire that way, then complain when they kB!") It's NOT a complaint, it's a complement, they all gave out within 2k of each other - talk about consistency! Might be the best tires I've ever owned.

For the next 12, or 15 years the tires that came on my GMs were mostly Goodyears, & mostly unremarkable - no big surprises.

In 1984 I switched to Ford. No reason other than being 1-k less than a GM at the time, I'm not a Ford, or Chevy "nut" - They both have their strong points, & they're both good trucks (No matter how many "piss on X" decals there are).
My first F-150 was just bad luck all around. It came with cheap Firestones, & one of my helpers said he noticed that some threads were spaced wider than others (yeah-right), a week later I finally believed him - every single one (even the spare!) did the same weird ass crap - they were all separating!
I went to a Firestone dealer, warranty in hand, & the SOBs charged me for the 2000 miles I had on the things, called it prorating!
I left, called the BBB, & eventually got them to pay for new tires.
I bought the "new tires" from a company that was starting to get a pretty good reputation - General.
Two of the Generals started growing lumps all over at about 10k (rubber separating from the carcass), but they took care of it, & they ended up being pretty good tires.

The next set of tires I put on the "Bad Luck Betty"( an F-150) were Michelins.

Now it's 20, or 25 sets of tires later, and I've never bought anything but Michelins since.
If I found a set of four brand X tires for $99 mounted, &  guaranteed for 80,000 miles, it'd be tempting, but I wouldn't buy them.

Weather it's for the F-350, the Lincoln, the Buick, the boat trailer, the Nissan off-road toy, or the Hendrickson's steering tires - I'll never buy another tire that that doesn't say Michelin again.    
[i] JMO, of course.[/i]

Oh,,,, old "Bad Luck Betty"  is still running today. I gave it to my old partner when the odometer had 345k (after about fifteen helpers used the chit out of it, in as many years). He uses it to work everyday, might have to rethink the "Bad Luck" part.
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 1:26:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Another vote for BFG ATs. Best snow tire (and all around tire) made IMHO. You may pay a little more for them but they will last a lot longer so it really does even itself out.
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 2:33:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd go with the Cooper Tires.  I've run Coopers on my cars and trucks for sixteen years, without any problems.  

Plus, Cooper Tire is one of only two totally American owned tire companies in the USA, and the only company with all tires made in the USA.
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 2:49:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Chalk up another for BFG Radial A/T, you won't go wrong with them. I had them on a 69Chevy 3/4 ton.
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 3:13:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Try the bfg mud terrains have them on my suburban 3/4 ton they have 20,000 on them and will prob go 40,000 the ride is good and the traction is excellent even in sand i had the all terrains too but orefer the muds as they worked better all around including soft sand.
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 4:42:21 PM EDT
[#14]
While it may not be real convienent, once you make a choice consider buying from this place.
[url]http://www.tirerack.com/index.jsp[/url]

Their prices are probably a lot better than you will find at any tire store.
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 6:44:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Only Michelin for me!  They take a lot of abuse, and wear like iron.
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 12:25:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Thank y'all for the input. I think I will go with the BFG's. I'm not sure what style, but the mud tires sound good.
Thanks again.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top