Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2006 5:55:42 PM EDT
I can only take a horrible fake british acccent for only so long. I swear that after a full day of it, I was expecting the waitress at Dennys to yell out "Huzzah for the paper tippah" when we left a tip.

Sorry , long day, drinking Smithwicks, in the sun. The place was shady the past few years but hurricane Wilma cleared out most of the trees. Beer + sun = one tired Wildboar.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:58:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Gah no shade :(

I was supposed to hit the Ren. Fair with the family today, but my raging case of strep throat has postponed it till next weekend.

echo6
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:08:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Love to attend the one here in Texas, but one day is all I need.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:27:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Ahh,.... the freaks 'n geeks version of woodstock..

Had some rubinesque woman offer to let me tough her very pumped up tits (she was wearing a corset) but I had to pass because them titties has skin on them that was flaking off like potato chips!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:30:59 AM EDT
[#4]
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDSSSSSSSSS!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:35:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I go and dress up in those crinolines and corsets at a fair in August.  I even wear my chemise as my normal nightgown.  It'so prim and proper, yet white and made of a fairly thin material...the boyfriend loves it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:35:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Renfest: World of Warcraft freaks who accidentally stumbled out of their house/apartment/cardboard box/mom's basement.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:43:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Huzzah!
Our major Renfest runs late Aug thru October...perfect weather for wearing the corseted BODICE.
<Winks at Daisywench>
They're fun, I've worked them, and my only major complaint is the cloying smell of patchouli at every turn

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:43:41 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I go and dress up in those crinolines and corsets at a fair in August.  I even wear my chemise as my normal nightgown.  It'so prim and proper, yet white and made of a fairly thin material...the boyfriend loves it.

[Joey] How you doin?[/Joey]  

Woody

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:30:49 AM EDT
[#9]
We do ours in July or August. Good family-safe fun and the kids enjoy it. Makes me wonder if in 400 years people will be dressing up as 21st Century Americans and thinking how quaint it seems.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:47:09 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
We do ours in July or August. Good family-safe fun and the kids enjoy it.

Not the one here.    Fat chicks in chainmaille.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:49:34 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OMG...We get alot of those...we also get fat guys in kilts (after Braveheart, EVERYONE thought they'd do the kilt thing). Sweet mother of God...they were so fat, there were no pleats in the back of the kilts...their asses looked like tables at the county fair!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:52:07 AM EDT
[#12]
never been to a Ren......

never will.

It is just wayyyyyy tooooo tempting to show those dorks exactly WHY firearms were invented.......
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:56:06 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

never will.

It is just wayyyyyy tooooo tempting to show those dorks exactly WHY firearms were invented.......

"I have boots of escaping!  I have boots of escaping!"  BLAM!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:56:32 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
, and my only major complaint is the cloying smell of patchouli at every turn

Never heard of the stuff. I know its in perfumes, but I don't know which smell it is you are specifically mentioning.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:00:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Been to ren fair several times, as well as some other SCA events. Been wanting to go to Pennsic but havent had the chance yet..

photokirk
Not the one here.  Fat chicks in chainmaille.

We get a few of those too..   but the amount of eye candy more than balances it out
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:00:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:05:51 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Huzzah!
Our major Renfest runs late Aug thru October...perfect weather for wearing the corseted BODICE.
<Winks at Daisywench>
They're fun, I've worked them, and my only major complaint is the cloying smell of patchouli at every turn

And I think some guys have the ren view of hygiene... Once a month is good enough for them...  a bath only twice a year is healthier.

ewe
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:06:34 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

never will.

I worked at the Renaissance Festival near here, but go maybe once every 2-3 years. They had an elephant last time, but it didn't break free and go on a rampage so I could see if you can kill one with an M-4, so it was basically a waste of time, plus the g/f got a little carried away at the glass blowing place.

edit-whoops you mean they "beat each other with bamboo swords while wearing carpet armor" crowd, sorry.

exactly,

it's the "ooooh, let's get in on the action" crowd that I am referrring to, not the folks with a geniune interest in preserving some of the old arts....
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:08:32 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I worked at the Renaissance Festival near here, but go maybe once every 2-3 years. They had an elephant last time, but it didn't break free and go on a rampage so I could see if you can kill one with an M-4, so it was basically a waste of time, plus the g/f got a little carried away at the glass blowing place.

edit-whoops you mean they "beat each other with bamboo swords while wearing carpet armor" crowd, sorry.

Was that the one down at Sterling Forest?
www.renfair.com/NY/index.php

I went to that on in '04 and again this year. I like the one we normally go to in Sterling.

sterlingfestival.com/renfest/

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:09:14 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Been to ren fair several times, as well as some other SCA events. Been wanting to go to Pennsic but havent had the chance yet..

photokirk
Not the one here.  Fat chicks in chainmaille.

We get a few of those too..   but the amount of eye candy more than balances it out

Pennsic is the only thing I do all year, it's lovely
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:15:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:24:02 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I worked at the one in Sterling NY. I was just a garbage man and unloaded the produce and beer trucks, nothing exciting. We went a couple of years ago, it's very much like it was twenty years ago when I worked there. I had heard talk they were going to sell/close it or something, but that might have been just rumors since I heard that a few years ago.

They were looking to sell last year, but didn't get an offer they felt they could take, last I had heard.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:33:00 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Huzzah!
<Winks at Daisywench>

And I think some guys have the ren view of hygiene... Once a month is good enough for them...  a bath only twice a year is healthier.

ewe

My friends and I refer to them as "the great unwashed."
Gah...Patchouli + B.O.=

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:52:07 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

OMG...We get alot of those...we also get fat guys in kilts (after Braveheart, EVERYONE thought they'd do the kilt thing). Sweet mother of God...they were so fat, there were no pleats in the back of the kilts...their asses looked like tables at the county fair!

Oh, yeah- we see those guys at Revolutionary War reenactments as well. There's a big movement to get rid of them, but they are numerous, and the crowds love 'em. (Products of publik skool....)

In an era of almost total clean-shaven-ness (the 18th century), these guys insist on ahistorical full beards. Wielding giant broadswords. Sgian dhus in their tube socks. Sporrans of fake fur. And these guys invariably weigh a ton, too. Wrapped up in plaid tablecloths and picnic blankets. WTF?

We call them FBHs: Fat Bearded Highlanders.

Others, less kind, call them F%&$*g Farbs.

From folks I know in Civil War reenactment, they show up for Civil War events in the same kilts, same beards, same crap. Left over from last week's SCA event, next week they'll be toting it all at a Renfaire. It's all the same to these clowns.

Problem is: FBHs were never here, in history. Only in Hollywood movies.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:53:11 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
We do ours in July or August. Good family-safe fun and the kids enjoy it. Makes me wonder if in 400 years people will be dressing up as 21st Century Americans and thinking how quaint it seems.

I doubt it. RenFaire is to history as fish are to dancing.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:54:37 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
, and my only major complaint is the cloying smell of patchouli at every turn

Never heard of the stuff. I know its in perfumes, but I don't know which smell it is you are specifically mentioning.

It smells like dirt. Picture dirty little hippy girls, and the smell that comes with it. It's not just lack of bathing.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:03:10 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
[Oh, yeah- we see those guys at Revolutionary War reenactments as well. There's a big movement to get rid of them, but they are numerous, and the crowds love 'em. (Products of publik skool....)

In an era of almost total clean-shaven-ness (the 18th century), these guys insist on ahistorical full beards. Wielding giant broadswords. Sgian dhus in their tube socks. Sporrans of fake fur. And these guys invariably weigh a ton, too. Wrapped up in plaid tablecloths and picnic blankets. WTF?

We call them FBHs: Fat Bearded Highlanders.

Others, less kind, call them F%&$*g Farbs.

From folks I know in Civil War reenactment, they show up for Civil War events in the same kilts, same beards, same crap. Left over from last week's SCA event, next week they'll be toting it all at a Renfaire. It's all the same to these clowns.

Problem is: FBHs were never here, in history. Only in Hollywood movies.

It costs a LOT to dress in period costume and do it right. Thats one reason why I have resisted going in costume as my family does. If we had to buy the various parts commercially, it would run several hundreds of dollars. Luckily my wife sews very well, so we're finally going to break down ad put something together for me, although some of the accesories, etc will cost a bit to buy up front.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:37:19 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

It costs a LOT to dress in period costume and do it right. Thats one reason why I have resisted going in costume as my family does. If we had to buy the various parts commercially, it would run several hundreds of dollars. Luckily my wife sews very well, so we're finally going to break down ad put something together for me, although some of the accesories, etc will cost a bit to buy up front.

You can do Rev. War reenactment cheaply, if you do it right from the outset. See:HM 40th Regiment of Foot

That's me in the back, 2nd from left. We are dressed as British soldiers really were dressed in the American Revolution, not as "band box" soldiers.

Advamcing at the Battle of Rhode Island...

Enforcing martial law at Colonial Williamsburg...

To portray the Light Infantry soldier, the campaign uniform of 1777 is worn. The short jacket is made of madder red wool with a buff colored collar, cuffs, and shoulder wings. The trousers are made of hemp linen. Accouterments consists of the traditional military cocked hat converted to a round hat embellished with a horsehair cockade, tuft of black bearskin, and green ostrich plume. A black leather neckstock is worn with the linen shirt. Black leather accouterments hold the bayonet and ammunition. Slung on the back is a wool blanket with the knapsack rolled up inside it. A cloth covered tin canteen for water and a coarse linen haversack to hold food rations completes the kit.

The 40th has a uniform and equipment supply system to ensure that each member maintains the high authenticity standards at a low cost. The regiment has a supply of madder red and buff broadcloth for the making of regimental jackets. The regimental tailor can furnish a suit of clothes made to the 40th's standards for approximately $200. If a member wishes to make his own clothes, or have them made for him by someone of his own choosing he is welcome to do so, however the finished garments will not be allowed to be used unless it meets the regimental standards of fit and quality. The cost of accouterments is approximately $625.

Musket runs about another 700-1000 dollars, depending on what is available. Loaner kits and guns are available for newbies to use in one's first year. We have members from all over the NE down to VA and NC.

It's cheaper than most "impressions" and still done right. Get good shoes, trousers, shirts, gun, etc., and you can use them and sell them to other units too,if you want to get out and do something else.

Don't do what I did- go out and join another group (previously) who have you buy tons of cheap, farby crap in a false effort to save the recruit money. When you leave, they offer you a pittance for it, because nobody else wants it either. My closet is still  full of that stuff. I left them and joined a better group- this one.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:41:53 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Huzzah!
<Winks at Daisywench>

Bonus points for using the word "Cloying" in GD!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:10:12 AM EDT
[#30]
dirty little hippy girls you say?  
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:19:47 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
[You can do Rev. War reenactment cheaply, if you do it right from the outset. See

The cost of accouterments is approximately $625.

Musket runs about another 700-1000 dollars, depending on what is available. Loaner kits and guns are available for newbies to use in one's first year. We have members from all over the NE down to VA and NC.

It's cheaper than most "impressions" and still done right. Get good shoes, trousers, shirts, gun, etc., and you can use them and sell them to other units too,if you want to get out and do something else.

Thats still a lot of cash for something you might only use a few days a year, and in the case of a ren fester, only a day or two a year unless you are really "into" the reenactments or a paying job. I was just looking over the website for the Fest I go to, and they dont pay those guys much of anything at all for what is a 10 week full time obligation.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 10:54:45 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
[You can do Rev. War reenactment cheaply, if you do it right from the outset. See

The cost of accouterments is approximately $625.

Thats still a lot of cash for something you might only use a few days a year, and in the case of a ren fester, only a day or two a year unless you are really "into" the reenactments or a paying job. I was just looking over the website for the Fest I go to, and they dont pay those guys much of anything at all for what is a 10 week full time obligation.

I make renwear.  It's expensive, but the fact is, that I like designing it and making it just as much if not more than wearing it.  I have a closet full of gowns and corsets and I go to one two week ren-fair a year.

I don't think I could take the drama that those people exude on a year-round basis...  or the smell.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:56:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Huzzah!

Btw - I did a friends website who makes ren fair clothes:
tgertoggs.com/
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:34:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Ren fest??

Okay..........

But, I know a chick who used to work at the Maresca factory.

Got a personal tour one day.  Pretty cool.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:41:13 PM EDT
[#35]
I think my main problem is the Zena, LOTR, and Warcraft folks who crash the renfest. There was a dude dressed up like a Hobbit and you can tell he was making sure everyone saw him. He came up to my mother and asked for  light for his pipe. He was acting all strange as if he teleported from another dimension and marvelled at her lighter. While he was examining it and making comments about the "strange device", my dad bluntly asks "Whats in the pipe son?" He totally ruined the magic for the guy, I didnt know if the guy wanted to laugh, cry or call him some variation of the name Richard.

I think I saw ONE person who had it right. He even had the pistol. Most folks who go to these things are really into D&D and medieval stuff. I should be called medevial fest because it seems to be a few hundred years before the rennasiance. Well the folks who get big time into it.

I wish I had my camera. I could have taken some out right  funny shots of some real winners, also some smokin hot women in the attire of their chosen hobby. I dont mind folks expressing themselves like that, I just think they should really think it through before they leave the house in what they chose to wear. I swear that I saw Zena the Oreo Warrior Princess. She should have just hung a huge donut on her belt instead of that hoop thing.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:48:43 PM EDT
[#36]
A couple visits are enough for me. Same attractions, same events, same everything. It is pretty nice every once in a while though.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 4:36:51 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Ren fest??

Okay..........

images.google.com/images?q=tbn:XUi_mPUPdjpi5M:www.tvacres.com/images/ren.jpg

But, I know a chick who used to work at the Maresca factory.

Got a personal tour one day.  Pretty cool.

Moresca makes the best stuff. I've got a great tapestry bodice from them a coupla years ago. Defying gravity is a GOOD thing!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:29:35 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Renfest: World of Warcraft freaks who accidentally stumbled out of their house/apartment/cardboard box/mom's basement.

You'd be surprised who plays world of warcraft...

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:49:08 AM EDT
[#39]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top