Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2006 3:08:47 PM EDT

when i was 16 or so my father handed down his remington 870 windmaster, 3" magnum that he bought probably 30 years ago used. the barrel had a bulge in it when he bought it he always used it anyways... but i dont trust the newer high powered ammo in an old bulged barrel, so the barrel is gone.

id really love to restore this to new condition.  sand the stock, refinish that, new buttplate or recoil pade, refinish the blueing and put a new barrel on it.

the stock i can handle on my own. the rest though....

1-blueing the metal- i thought about sending it off to Wilson Combat, or would there be any place cheaper and faster?
2- i tried putting a barrel on from my new 870 and it didnt sit right.  any suggestions on where to get a new barrel for it, if i dont find one at a gun show?

i may restore this whole shotgun and give it back to my dad as a present, or keep it for sentimental reasons since i was a gift from him.

any feedback ???
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:12:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I thought the wingmaster series was a 2 3/4 chamber?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:14:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not sure about refinishing but any 3" 870 barrel should fit.  My Dad also has a wingmaster that is about 35 years old.  He put a rifled slug barrel on it a few years ago and it works great.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:21:25 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'm not sure about refinishing but any 3" 870 barrel should fit.  My Dad also has a wingmaster that is about 35 years old.  He put a rifled slug barrel on it a few years ago and it works great.

well... one thing i just realized is my new 870 slug barrel accepts 2 3/4 and 3" and the old one is ONLY 3"  so maybe thats why it doesnt fit?

i just emailed hotflashrefinishing.com and we'll see what answers i get back.

anyone with any feedback on this topic of restoring old guns, the stocks, where to find an original style buttplate for it the info would be appreciated, thanks
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:23:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:33:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I thought the wingmaster series was a 2 3/4 chamber?

I think you're correct.

However, some Wingmaster 870s have barrels that indicate they are
good for 3 inch shells.  That gets folks confused. Don't know if this is
such a case.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top