Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2006 2:48:07 PM EDT
In todays day in age.. with the rise of feminism and "independent" women.. who pays for dates? Have the old fashioned ways.. run out? Have we become a nation of "me me me" people?

My take:

If I ask her out (first couple of dates), then I'll pay. If she offers to help pay/pay.. I'll say no, as I asked her out. (she wins good brownie points from me however)

After awhile however (once we've been dating for awhile/starting to get into a steady relationship), I believe that we should split/go dutch. Thats my take anyway.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:51:04 PM EDT
[#1]
The guy always pays for both himself and the lady (even if she barely even qualifies as one).
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:52:08 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The guy always pays for both himself and the lady (even if she barely even qualifies as one).

For how long though?

I think most guys don't want to be a meal ticket/used.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:53:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Guy pays unless his ball and chain is taking him out for his birthday.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:00:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:01:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:02:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What if it's two guys on a date?

And they're going to a certain movie?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:03:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:04:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I agree
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:08:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Who ever initiates the date of course .

But then I've only been asked out by three women
and one of them I declined . The other two insisted on
paying , so I insisted on leaving the tip .

In the long run they all get off cheap when all is said
and done
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:16:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For how long though?

til death, if they want to get laid
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:17:30 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

For how long though?

til death, if they want to get laid

So much for sex being about wanting to please eachother...
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:18:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:21:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
-snip-

That annoy you?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:24:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:26:31 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
My beloved girlfriend of many years insisted on splitting the bills on dates for quite some time, but eventually she just let me pay (which is what I wanted). Then a few years ago we were out somewhere and it was a relatively small bill, some place like Jillians, and I was just going to leave enough cash to cover the bill and  tip since we were late for a movie or something. I asked her for a quarter so the waitress could get a full $ 5 or whatever v. getting .75 of it in change, and the g/f just smiled and shrugged when I asked for a quarter.

"You don't have a quarter?"
"Errrrrr, no."
"Could you look please?"
"Errrr, ummmm mumble"
"Sorry honey, what was that?"
"I don't have my wallet"
"Huh??"
"I said, I don't have my wallet."
"You don't have your wallet or any money at all on you? Not even a driver's license or credit card?"
"Weellll-No, you pay for everything and drive and I don't drink so I don't need to carry one."
"Um, huh...... I take it this has been going on for awhile?"
"Few years now."

LOL, sounds like something my wife would do.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:27:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:29:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:30:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:33:14 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Yep that’s how we do it in the South!!!!

FWIW…I used to work as a doorman at a club and you would not believe the number of deadbeats who get to the door and expect the girl to foot the cover charge not only for themselves but for the lame guy with them.  
You should have heard some of my comments
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:00:32 PM EDT
[#20]
In a perfect world, the guy would pay for the girl, and later the girl would pay for her mistakes!
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:21:15 PM EDT
[#21]
I looked up an old girlfriend and we eventually went out to lunch at my invitation.  I tried to be a "gentleman" (pre-ARFcom!) and pay the whole bill.  I came off feeling like an ass after we almost got into a fight over it.  She is an "independent woman" and she let me know it!  Major screw-up on my part arguing with her.  (A little side note: she wore shoes with 2" heels, I think to make sure she would be taller than me.  Some issues there.)

On the other hand, I have a very good lady friend who is also very independent but she doesn't mind being treated like a lady.  She will sometimes offer to pay, or will share in the cost, and doesn't fight it if I insist on "being the man".  She enjoys the break from having to be on her own most of the time.  And if I could spend more time with her she would more than make up for in "services rendered".
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:28:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top