Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2006 2:23:58 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:26:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe not on a first date, but after that, it's all good.  I've used the Entertainment Value Book coupons before.

I've also been to the Texas de Brazil restaurant (the one in Fort Worth), very nice place.  But I paid full price.  Great service there, that's for sure.  And the food was great.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:28:42 PM EDT
[#2]
....mmmmmmm.... Texas de Brazil......

I'm sorry, What was your question again?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:29:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Not the first date but once our relationship was entrenched it was all bets off.  I would clip like a mad man. When I told her it would allow us to go out more, she was all for it.

Nothing wrong with saving a few bucks.  If she looks down at you for doing it, then you need to move on.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:30:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:32:39 PM EDT
[#5]
[leykis]you are paying - she should not bitch, otherwise she is a gold digger (usually true)
don't ever spend more than $40 on a date [/leykis]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:32:51 PM EDT
[#6]
You wanna see lust in a woman's eyes on a 1st date, just ask the waiter, "Excuse me Captain, do you accept Food Stamps?"

At least I think it was lust...
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:33:53 PM EDT
[#7]

Not with my kind of women!!!
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:33:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You wanna see lust in a woman's eyes on a 1st date, just ask the waiter, "Excuse me Captain, do you accept Food Stamps?"

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:34:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:36:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I used a $30 gift card at Outback once (plus about $15 cash) on a date, but I've never used the type of coupons you cut out of the Sunday paper.

Excuse me, snip..snip..snip...
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:37:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:38:31 PM EDT
[#12]
If I found coupons... yes. But naturally, no coupons for Ruth's Chris.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:39:13 PM EDT
[#13]
You could always barter her out to the waiter for a discount.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:39:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:40:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Not on a first date.

Wait... scratch that.  I used a "buy one get one free" coupon for the movies once.  

As a general rule, if she's worth paying full price for the meal/activity, she'll be glad to see you use a coupon and save your $$$ to buy shiney shit for her!  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:40:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:40:56 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
i haven't seen any hookers that take coupons

That's because you aren't a member of OOIDA, are you?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:44:30 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:49:15 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Maybe not on a first date, but after that, it's all good.  I've used the Entertainment Value Book coupons before.

I've also been to the Texas de Brazil restaurant (the one in Fort Worth), very nice place.  But I paid full price.  Great service there, that's for sure.  And the food was great.

lol - I used a coupon for a free dinner I won that I was supposed to use to take one girl out with, to instead take out the girl who is now my wife. And she was happy to go and see me ditch the other girl. (that was about 12 years ago and she is still with me, so I guess it wasn't that bad of a thing to do)
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:49:59 PM EDT
[#20]
as a chick, I've cut those entertainment coupons and given them to the guy to use.  Is that tacky for a girl to do?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:50:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Hell yeah I use 'em. We used to plan nights out around what coupons we had. First date is iffy, but good idea on how to get around it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:54:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Let me think...........NO, not yet

There is a thin line between a dipshit and a cheap bastage.

Danny
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:03:25 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
as a chick, I've cut those entertainment coupons and given them to the guy to use.  Is that tacky for a girl to do?

Not at all!  It shows you appreciate the money he is spending on you enough to help.  Of course I'm old and out of touch, but that's the way I feel.z
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:05:26 PM EDT
[#24]
i used to wait tables and i HATED those entertainment/enjoyment coupon books.  

assholes would come in, get a half price meal and tip on the reduced total.  not to mention they are a PAIN IN THE ASS to process.

as a result, i NEVER use coupons at a sit down resturant
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:10:36 PM EDT
[#25]
i guess coupons could also make the nights more interesting - no trying to figure out where to go and what to eat...
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:11:02 PM EDT
[#26]
I use Buy One, Get One Free for hookers and blow.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:11:20 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
i used to wait tables and i HATED those entertainment/enjoyment coupon books.  

assholes would come in, get a half price meal and tip on the reduced total.  not to mention they are a PAIN IN THE ASS to process.

as a result, i NEVER use coupons at a sit down resturant

tips are not entitlements so be thankful for any amount of tip you get...
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:17:39 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

When you make $2.13/hr, you live and die by tips.  If you're so cheap that you have to use coupons and stiff the service just to go out to dinner, maybe you should re-evaluate your choice of restaurant.

(i mean the generic "you" not a personal attack)

I absolutely HATE HATE HATE HATE when people think that they are doing someone a FAVOR by giving them a tip.  A tip is a payment for service, regardless of the meal.  Wait staff do not make SQUAT by the hour, so if they give you good service you should pay them for it.

I always tip 20-25% of the TOTAL bill, and if I can't afford to do so BEFORE going out, I don't go!
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:23:02 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When you make $2.13/hr, you live and die by tips.  If you're so cheap that you have to use coupons and stiff the service just to go out to dinner, maybe you should re-evaluate your choice of restaurant.

I absolutely HATE HATE HATE HATE when people think that they are doing someone a FAVOR by giving them a tip.  A tip is a payment for service, regardless of the meal.  Wait staff do not make SQUAT by the hour, so if they give you good service you should pay them for it.

I always tip 20-25% of the TOTAL bill, and if I can't afford to do so BEFORE going out, I don't go!

[hijack]
you are guaranteed federal minimum wage, the $2.13/hr+tips shall meet FMW requirements or else the employer must make up the difference....quit bitching, demand better pay, or get another job because YOUR PAY should be between the employer and employee (you)....
[/hijack]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:25:03 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are supposed to tip on the full amount of the check before coupon, that is just common sense.

Waiters and waitresses are NOT entitled to a tip, that is why it is not figured into the bill already.

I was a waitress once, the job sucks, and he's right , you only get paid like $2 an hour.  

Giving waitstaff a 25% tip is ridiculous unless you are really drunk, have just won some money, the waitress gave you her number, or you are dying in 6 months and hate your heirs.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:25:14 PM EDT
[#31]
i stand by my orignal post.  this thread has brought one image to my mind

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:30:27 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are supposed to tip on the full amount of the check before coupon, that is just common sense.

Waiters and waitresses are NOT entitled to a tip, that is why it is not figured into the bill already.

I was a waitress once, the job sucks, and he's right , you only get paid like $2 an hour.  

Giving waitstaff a 25% tip is ridiculous unless you are really drunk, have just won some money, the waitress gave you her number, or you are dying in 6 months and hate your heirs.

for your reading pleasure:
US DOL Minimum Wage
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:35:57 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

for your reading pleasure:
US DOL Minimum Wage

I'm with you, I'm not saying you don't get min wage after tips.  You can make pretty good money as waitstaff.  That is why those young fine struggling actors can afford NYC/LA rent, they usually work as waiters until their 'big break".
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:40:47 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I'm with you, I'm not saying you don't get min wage after tips.  You can make pretty good money as waitstaff.  That is why those young fine struggling actors can afford NYC/LA rent, they usually work as waiters until their 'big break".

This guy (mikejohnson) just struck a major nerve.  He reminded me of the 90 year old assholes that would come in, treat the waitsaff like slaves, and leave a quarter for a tip.  when asked about it they make it sound like they were doing that person a favor.  they then wonder why they get SHITTY service when they come back.

O, and it's no myth that you don't want to piss off your waitstaff for fear of what they enlist the kitchen to do to your food.

Just because waitstaff is guaranteed minimum wage is no excuse TO SHIT ON THEM!

If you really do have that attitude i hope that every meal you ever eat in a resturaunt is overcooked, spit in, delivered late and dropped on your lap.  You deserve it.  You should be glad anyone brings you food at all.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:49:52 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I eat lunch out every day, and I figure I can afford $2.00 tip no matter what the ticket if it is a sit down place.    Sometimes it is 30% and sometimes it is 15% or so (yes I live in a relatively cheap area).  One of the restaurants makes it clear that no tips are to be paid, as they pay to cover it and they do very well as a business.  Their lunch tickets are $7-10.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:53:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Yea Im a cheapass, I buy those books.

I havent used them on a date, but I dont go on enough dates to count
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:54:19 PM EDT
[#37]
again, tips are not entitlements, and if I were your employer you would be fired for bad service and charges filed for tampering with food (and that can ruin the business btw) - you are supposed to give service for the wage you are paid, anything extra is not required, but is a gift...if you need more then negotiate with your employer...
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:59:11 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
again, tips are not entitlements, and if I were your employer you would be fired for bad service - you are supposed to give service for the wage you are paid, anything extra is not required, but is a gift...if you need more then negotiate with your employer...

A) I havnt waited tables since high school

B) the employer pays for what the staff does OTHER than waiting the tables.  That means cleaning, prepping some food items (condiments, desserts, ect) and various other tasks.

YOU get the service that YOU pay for.  The majority of our customers were repeat customers.  I had customers that would ask for me BY NAME because of the service I gave them.  They were courteous, and tipped well.  I returned the favor.  If I had a customer I had never served before, I treated them well and with the respect and courtesy they deserved, but if they started to display an attitude like they were doing me a favor by warming the seat, than they got what they deserved.

Sir, if you take this attitude into a dining establishment, whether it be a 5 star gourmet, or a middle school cafeteria, you will get what you deserve: POOR SERVICE, POOR FOOD, and NO RESPECT.

ETA: you may not realize it, but 95% of the time customers complain, the owners/managment side with the waitstaff.  You forget that the managers and owners were once waitstaff themselves, and know how customers like YOU ruin the dining experience for not only the staff, but the other people around you.   Think what you may want, but just because you got a free beer or slice of pie because you pissed and moaned, you did NOT just win a war with the waitstaff, because you missed the special sauce that the OWNER provided you.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:22:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:27:22 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
If she looks down at you for doing it, then you need to move on.

Right on!  

If she's not fine with that then she'll get more and more expensive.

My current GF is as about as frugal as I am and would have no problem doing it.

As others have said, first and probably second date and absolute preclusions to coupon use.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:35:15 PM EDT
[#41]
McDonalds Gift Certificate...

Hey! She was a Cheap Date!
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:39:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Some places I only go if I got coupons, its not $12 a meal good but at $6 or so its worth it
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:41:20 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Well said.  15% tip for normal service.  18-20% for GOOD service.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:48:56 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No damned tipping in Korea..they pay the waiters a fair wage and the service is the same!
Actually, the service is better than in the States..

As far as coupons on a date...I see no problem with it...

In fact, I would have a problem with the woman who had a problem with it....might be indicative of a gold digging complex.

Ahhh...who the hell cares...I am maried now, don't matter anymore...
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:53:56 PM EDT
[#45]
tipping is a american custom that is kind of a "built in control system"

Why do items cost 3.99? or 49.99? The original reason was not to make prices look smaller, but so customers would ask for change... forcing clerks to enter the sale into the cash machine and not pocket the money. Tipping is a part of our customs to ensure that customers always get top notch service from waiters. Given I grew up overseas, I generally prefer to over tip.

Also, coupons on dates? Places I go to on dates generally don't take coupons... If there is money to be saved, it can probably come out of the "shiny toys and video games" fun instead of the quality of life fund, haha.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:54:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top