Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2006 1:04:56 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:06:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Think of it as the north pole's version of bachi ball.

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:06:52 PM EDT
[#2]
All I know is when I went to Canada people watched it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:07:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:12:19 PM EDT
[#4]
It's only fun if you're drunk.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:13:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I want a big rockthing with a handle on it
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:14:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I watched some the other night
I don't think I could sit through a whole match, but I have a little more erspect for it than I used to
definitely has some strategy to it
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:14:56 PM EDT
[#7]
get your rocks in the middle, knock theirs out
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:15:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
How is this game scored? Hell even I could sweep the ice!

You don't have the stones for curling.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:17:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Those two sisters on the American team are hot.

Some of the other teams have a few hotties too.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:19:08 PM EDT
[#10]
The curlers have their own rink in my town.  I have the opportunity to get into it, but guess what?  I am not remotely interested.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:26:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'm watching the event right now. USA vs Great Britain and it looks like something I could even do but....

What the hell is going on here?

I have been trying to figure it out myself.....
starting to intrigue me....

curling
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:26:44 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I want a big rockthing with a handle on it

Product Name:
Brand New Trefor Granite Curling Stones w/ Inserts

Description:
Brand New Trefor granite curling stones with Blue Hone inserts from Canada Curling Stone Co.

Priced per sheet of 16 stones.

Price:
8400.00/16= $425

Product Name:

CH 100 Curling Stone Handles
Description:
Curlex brand, one piece plastic handles available in red, navy, yellow, blue and green. Price includes bolt & washer.

Permanent Engraving of Sheet letter/number and player number as well as sponsors names available. Please contact The Curling Store for more information.

Priced per handle

Price:
32.00 +$425 = $457

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:27:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

if I understand right
the team with the stone closes to the center at the end of the round,gets one point for each stone in the house (bullseye)
only one team can score points per round
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:29:44 PM EDT
[#14]
The idea is to get the rocks into the bullseye at the other end of the ice. And you get to knock the other teams rocks out of the way.

Think of it as bowling for folks that have lots of ice (and beer).  Some of my earliest memories are of watching my dad curling  while we were living just outside of Winnipeg. The rink is always warmer than it is outside....
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:33:56 PM EDT
[#15]
What is the point of the sweeping?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:36:18 PM EDT
[#16]
The "curling" part of it is the curving that the stone does, primarily as a result of the rotation that is put on the stone when it is released, but also aided by sweeping.

You often see teams trying to curl in behind an existing stone, using it as a guard - or to bounce off another stone and tuck in behind a guard.

I seriously find curling to be one of the best sports to watch on TV.  It's one of my favorite "sports" although I've never played it myself
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:37:22 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Sweeping makes the stone move faster and farther. It can also alter the trajectory of the stone, make it turn.

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:37:40 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I seriously find curling to be one of the best sports to watch on TV.  It's one of my favorite "sports" although I've never played it myself

Are you serious or is that Dutch sarcasm?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:39:22 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

You get a point for every "rock" that is closer to the center than the opponants' closest rock.
Where is it at? I love watching Curling. And you only really get to see it every four years.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:40:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:44:13 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
on MSNBC

Thanks.

I really like the sport. There is a lot of strategy involved. It also requires a lot of "touch factors." How hard to you "throw" the rock. What type of spin you put on the rock. How hard you sweep.

Not to mention the hot sisters on the women's team.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:44:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Curling can only be enjoyed (and understood) while extremely drunk.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:45:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Beer + rock + brooms = excitement.

Then again:

Beer + anything = excitement and possibly vomit.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:45:48 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

if I understand right
the team with the stone closes to the center at the end of the round,gets one point for each stone in the house (bullseye)

The house is all the rings, the button is the center. The circles are 4', 8' and 12'. The line down the middle is the centerline. The first line across is the hog line, the back line is the back line and the place you shoot from is called the hack.
All rocks, or stones must pass the hog line to come into play and if it passes the back line its out of play. It cannot touch the sides or its out and a player may not touch a rock or its out. (burning a rock)

The team with rock closest to the button is the only team that can score, it is called shot rock. They only score with rocks closer than all the other teams rocks. eg: Team A has one dead center, shot rock. Team B has a rock in the 4' circle and Team A has five in the 8' circle. Only the rock on the button will score. If Team B's rock was missing, Team A would score six.

The rocks weigh 40lbs  and thrown with an "in turn" or "out turn" of about three revolutions for the length of the ice. This makes the rock "curl" much like a curve ball curves only slower.

Sweeping the rock makes it go farther and curl less.

Strategy:

The first four rocks must remain in play and are used as "guards". A good guard is up between the hog line and the house, somewhere close to center. After the four guards are up, you try to curl rocks in behind them where it's harder to knock them out, a "takeout".

Last shot is obviously an advantage, it is called "hammer". Flip a coin for first shot and you lose the hammer if you score a point. That's why sometimes you will see a team intentionally NOT score when they have the hammer.

Each round is called an "end" and ten ends make a game.

Main types of shots: Guard, draw, raise, freeze and takeout. A draw is a shot for position a raise is a carom, freeze touches and sticks to rock, guard sits up front and takeout removes a stone.

Weight is how hard you throw the rock. Guard weight, draw weight, takeout weight, line weight and hack weight are terms you'll hear.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:46:45 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sweeping makes the stone move faster and farther. It can also alter the trajectory of the stone, make it turn.

No, it makes a rock go straighter and farther.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:52:05 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

if I understand right

The house is all the rings, the button is the center. The circles are 4', 8' and 12'. The line down the middle is the centerline. The first line across is the hog line, the back line is the back line and the place you shoot from is called the hack.
All rocks, or stones must pass the hog line to come into play and if it passes the back line its out of play. It cannot touch the sides or its out and a player may not touch a rock or its out. (burning a rock)

The team with rock closest to the button is the only team that can score, it is called shot rock. They only score with rocks closer than all the other teams rocks. eg: Team A has one dead center, shot rock. Team B has a rock in the 4' circle and Team A has five in the 8' circle. Only the rock on the button will score. If Team B's rock was missing, Team A would score six.

The rocks weigh 40lbs  and thrown with an "in turn" or "out turn" of about three revolutions for the length of the ice. This makes the rock "curl" much like a curve ball curves only slower.

Sweeping the rock makes it go farther and curl less.

Strategy:

The first four rocks must remain in play and are used as "guards". A good guard is up between the hog line and the house, somewhere close to center. After the four guards are up, you try to curl rocks in behind them where it's harder to knock them out, a "takeout".

Last shot is obviously an advantage, it is called "hammer". Flip a coin for first shot and you lose the hammer if you score a point. That's why sometimes you will see a team intentionally NOT score when they have the hammer.
Each round is called an "end" and ten ends make a game.

eh I tried....

anyone got a good gif of my head exploding?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:59:58 PM EDT
[#27]
shuffleboard on ice?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:04:56 PM EDT
[#28]
I read through this page on NBC's website today, it was pretty interesting : Curling - Inside The Sport

I actually think it's a pretty cool sport now that I understand the object and the rules. Not intensely athletic like some of the events but it requires some strategy and execution.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:20:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Canada's answer for a lack of good bowling alleys!
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:22:58 PM EDT
[#30]
I think I'll wait for the womenz naked curling thing to catch on.

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11394967/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top