Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/19/2006 11:14:46 AM EDT
....you put an American dock worker out of a job. And an American car hauler driver, an American Toyota / Honda / Nissan etc  car sales man, auto repair mechanic, etc

Half your "American" Fords are built in Canada and Mexico. That's right - the Canada that bashes American politics, and the Mexican gov't that encourages its people to violate American laws and cross our borders.

So get off your high horse, and your holier than thou attitude.

It ain't all as simple as you make it out to be.

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:16:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:16:07 AM EDT
[#2]
k.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:16:08 AM EDT
[#3]
teg

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:16:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Toyota    >    All
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:17:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:20:50 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
....you put an American dock worker out of a job. And an American car hauler driver, an American Toyota / Honda / Nissan etc  car sales man, auto repair mechanic, etc

Half your "American" Fords are built in Canada and Mexico. That's right - the Canada that bashes American politics, and the Mexican gov't that encourages its people to violate American laws and cross our borders.

??????

Ahhhh...OK.

Although my Cadillac CTS was assembled in Lansing Mi, and by buying this car I helped continue employment for a different American car hauler driver, an American Toyota / Honda / Nissan etc  car sales man, auto repair mechanic, etc...so whats your point?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:34:03 AM EDT
[#7]
The build sheet for my truck said it was assembled in Indiana, and most of the parts being produced in different parts of the country.............................

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:42:01 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The build sheet for my truck said it was assembled in Indiana, and most of the parts being produced in different parts of the country.............................

What do you drive? A Tundra? IIRC those are assembled there.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:46:14 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

??????

Ahhhh...OK.

Although my Cadillac CTS was assembled in Lansing Mi, and by buying this car I helped continue employment for a different American car hauler driver, an American Toyota / Honda / Nissan etc  car sales man, auto repair mechanic, etc...so whats your point?

I think you just made his point for him.

Our economy is WAY too complex and intertwined with global factors to use an outdated mentality of foreign vs. domestic.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:50:38 AM EDT
[#10]
I thought it was everytime you buy an american car god kills a kitten/puppy.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:51:23 AM EDT
[#11]

Our economy is WAY too complex and intertwined with global factors to use an outdated mentality of foreign vs. domestic.

OK, I got cha. But doesn't the bulk of profits for foriegn companies get sent to those foreign countries?  I understand that there are some or even MANY Americans working for foreign companies here in the US, but still, the bulk profits of American companies go to the high paid salaried workers in this country not a different country while the bulk of profits of Nissan or Toyota are sent off shore, not kept here in US.

That said, I will admit I am NO expert on international finance...just using common sense.  Am I missing something?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:52:57 AM EDT
[#12]
everytime you buy an American car you're rewarding mediocre design, management, and production. Plus you're putting money in union pockets, which ends up in DNC coffers.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:53:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Every time I buy a Ford Super Duty pickup I help put Toyota dock workers out of a job because Ford makes the best full-size work trucks...while Toyota still puts out 9/10 scale pickups.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:58:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:58:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Every time I buy a Chevy I remind Ford that they can't build shit.

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:00:20 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

OK, I got cha. But doesn't the bulk of profits for foriegn companies get sent to those foreign countries?  I understand that there are some or even MANY Americans working for foreign companies here in the US, but still, the bulk profits of American companies go to the high paid salaried workers in this country not a different country while the bulk of profits of Nissan or Toyota are sent off shore, not kept here in US.

That said, I will admit I am NO expert on international finance...just using common sense.  Am I missing something?

No expertise here, either.  As far as ultimate profits goes, I'm sure it eventually ends up buying sake and sushi, not beer and hot dogs.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:00:20 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Fords would be great if they would put heated tailgates on their trucks - so you can keep your hands warm in teh winter when you have to push it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:02:20 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
everytime you buy an American car you're rewarding mediocre design, management, and production. Plus you're putting money in union pockets, which ends up in DNC coffers.

OUCH!

I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there..mmmmmkay?

I LOVE the style of my car and continue to be impressed with the direction of American car makers....I will concede they needed a real swift kick in the nether regions to get off dead center design/quality wise, but they have and are making some very nice products.

CTS
STS
SRX
XLR  (can you tell I love Caddies?)
the new Corvette (What!?!? Are you kidding me?  It is awesome!)
300C Hemi
Charger Hemi or SRT-8 (WOW!  What a value...425 hp for under $40K)
the new Mustang (Not a Ford guy, but they did the design right!)
Ford trucks
Dodge trucks (MORE HEMIs!!!)
Up coming Dodge Challenger...Can't wait
Ford Fusion (Looks pretty good to me...I wouldn't buy one, but they look and ride very well)
Impala SS (finally!  Chevy gets serious and puts 300 hp in a practical car!   Very nice!)

I could go on and on......

I was a foreign car buyer in my younger days.  But the older I get the more I see the connection bet my purchases and the prosperity of my country.

ps.  Now, if I could just kick the Wally World (ChiCom) habit!
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:02:54 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fords would be great if they would put heated tailgates on their trucks - so you can keep your hands warm in teh winter when you have to push it.

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:03:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Can I get 87 American cars with marpat paint jobs, please?

12 pages and a lock.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:04:47 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That was a good one.....hahahaha....
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:07:09 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

exactly...

It doesn't matter where the vehicle was made. What counts is who engineered and designed it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:07:30 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

OUCH!

I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there..mmmmmkay?

I LOVE the style of my car and continue to be impressed with the direction of American car makers....I will concede they needed a real swift kick in the nether regions to get off dead center design/quality wise, but they have and are making some very nice products.

CTS
STS
SRX
XLR  (can you tell I love Caddies?)
the new Corvette (What!?!? Are you kidding me?  It is awesome!)
300C Hemi
Charger Hemi or SRT-8 (WOW!  What a value...425 hp for under $40K)
the new Mustang (Not a Ford guy, but they did the design right!)
Ford trucks
Dodge trucks (MORE HEMIs!!!)
Up coming Dodge Challenger...Can't wait
Ford Fusion (Looks pretty good to me...I wouldn't buy one, but they look and ride very well)
Impala SS (finally!  Chevy gets serious and puts 300 hp in a practical car!   Very nice!)

I could go on and on......

I was a foreign car buyer in my younger days.  But the older I get the more I see the connection bet my purchases and the prosperity of my country.

ps.  Now, if I could just kick the Wally World (ChiCom) habit!

How are reliable are those cars you listed compared to foriegn cars?
I don't know about you, but I don't make enough money to spend it on a substandard product.  I have had Fords all of my life and they have been terrible.  Yeah I am from Michigan too.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:11:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:12:37 PM EDT
[#25]
JAP

Made in Toledo, Ohio!
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:13:47 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
JAP

-
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:17:01 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
JAP

Made in Toledo, Ohio!
www.hunt101.com/img/339137.JPG

Nice avatar...  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:17:34 PM EDT
[#28]
I give fuck all about were my car was made or where the profits ultimately go (fyi, it mostly goes to the shareholders and reinvested back into the company).  All I really care about is whether it drives nice and will hold together for several hundred thousand miles.  Generally that means it's a Toyota or a Honda.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:18:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Meh.... I'm happy with my M3.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:19:49 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
JAP

Made in Toledo, Ohio!
www.hunt101.com/img/339137.JPG</a>

Nice avatar...  

No offense bro but what does his avatar have to do with any of this?  If it's within the CoC guidlines than what's the problem?  If it wasn't he would be cautioned to remove it.  I'm not trying to start shit but if it's within the CoC then what's the problem?!
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:29:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:31:45 PM EDT
[#32]
LT, I think it's American Toyota or Toyota Motor USA IIRC.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:34:00 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
JAP

Made in Toledo, Ohio!

Nice avatar...  

No offense bro but what does his avatar have to do with any of this?  If it's within the CoC guidlines than what's the problem?  If it wasn't he would be cautioned to remove it.  I'm not trying to start shit but if it's within the CoC then what's the problem?!

It's a Japanese girl.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:35:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:37:46 PM EDT
[#35]
I think I will stick with my 30yr old Internationals and my 22yr old Benz.  If I have to upgrade, I will keep it older than '95...

Better?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:49:57 PM EDT
[#36]
It's pretty simple, I buy what matches my needs and desires.

I have a need for a large vehicle that can carry a significant amount of cargo, but covered.  Therefore I own a 2001 Suburban.  I have a desire for a sports coupe or 4 door that doesn't feel like I'm driving a boat, therefore I'm looking at foreign makes.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:51:31 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
JAP

Made in Toledo, Ohio!

Nice avatar...  

It's a Japanese girl.  

Ohh okay.  Sorry then.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:52:31 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Turn in your barfcom memebership card!  Logic is VERBOTTEN!!!  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:53:26 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No expertise here, either.  As far as ultimate profits goes, I'm sure it eventually ends up buying sake and sushi, not beer and hot dogs.

Not necessarily. I have posted this on another thread:

Quoted:

Money goes round and round. Yes profits go to Toyota/Honda in Japan. On the back end, their economy supports us in capital injection to the US economy. The most basic is leasing those factories and plants from AMERICANS. Investing in AMERICA in form of supporting trade with us. Trades in banking. Do you know how many AMERICAN banks finance these ventures??? Let's take the 3 largest shall we?? B of A, JPMorgan Chase, and Citigroup. So those profits go back to pay AMERICAN bank interest. American banks that employ 10's of 1000's in the US. Do you now where close to 40% of electronics R&D done for these cars??? In the US or by US companies in Japan and India. Did you know that Mitsubishi is 52% owned by Daimler/Chrysler??? Did you know that Nissan, although partially owned by Renault in France, employ US engineers and design teams in the US. Nissan 300Z was designed in Pasadena, CA. using a US design firm. In business countries no longer matter. We can't AFFORD to be compartamentalized.

The Japanese is probably the most open economy to us. If one need to worry with regards to trade it would be with the Chinese. China restricts the amount of foreign companies within their soil. They also restrict the percentage in which foreign companies can own a Chinese company. In Japan, we run a lot of financial institutions there. In China, almost zero. Even WalMart had to enter an agreement with the Chinese gov't to give up partial control of its store there. In China, trade is lop sided. So if the Chinese ever start selling their cars here. I would be the first person to boycott their offerings.

And to expand on this:

The Global economy is so intertwined these days that we form a symbiotic relation. Currently the US economy is pulling away from a manufacturing/industrial/blue collar type, to a more service/brain trust/technical type. Hence the evedent downward slide in manufacturing jobs. Why?? Cause frankly profits margins are fatter if we export those jobs to 3rd world countries. This is actually good for our economy. It stresses education. It ups our average income. We become the managers.

So at this point Japanese and European automakers setting up shop here is helping keeping our blue collar workers employed. They use US banks for financing. Thereby, any profits earned gets recycled back to our banking system. Although most gets tax breaks, they are still taxed. Most have skirted paying 2 taxes (US and country of domicile) by starting up corporations domiciled here in the US. So guess what they become US companies. Albeit a subsidiary or a foreign one. Hell we do this abroad as well. Nissan, and in Nissan North America. Honda, Toyota(their US given names escapes me right now) and BMW as in BMWUSA. Daimler merged with Chrysler and own a controlling interest in Mitsubishi. Ford has entered agreements with Mazda and have bought numerous European automakers like Jaguar, Land Rover to name a few. US domiciled companies. Paying US taxes. Employing US workers.  

Thank you!!!  One of my jobs is teaching a small engine technology class at the local community college. Part of the syllibus is teaching some light entrepreneurship (business light) in the class.  I have several adult students that fail to understand world economy and how it effects our every day life.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:54:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Ran out of space LT, I am going to print out and take to class your comments.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:56:45 PM EDT
[#41]

I like my toyota.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:59:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Most the time when I went to look at buying an American car they treated me like I was a peice of shit and didnt want my buisness.  

Called the company about it they dont care either.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:59:12 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I think I will stick with my 30yr old Internationals and my 22yr old Benz.  If I have to upgrade, I will keep it older than '95...

Better?

Damn, no Mopars for MoparMike?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:00:57 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Better?

Damn, no Mopars for MoparMike?

*sigh*

Not yet.  I'd have a '68 Charger if that asshole would have sold it to me...

We did have a '74 Coronet for a while.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:19:10 PM EDT
[#45]
If it weren't for space and time restrictions, someone could get me to tell them about my two year battle and eventual dragging to court Chrysler Motors.  New car was broken the day I drove it off the lot, was still broken when I won my case in court two years later. FUCK THEM Buy American, I did, Toyota built in Illinois.  No union dues to use against the Second Amendment either.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:24:11 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OK, I got cha. But doesn't the bulk of profits for foriegn companies get sent to those foreign countries?

The bulk of the profits go to the company's SHAREHOLDERS.  Lots of Americans hold shares in these companies; you can too!

-Troy

BINGO!  

Most of the money goes to the stock holders.   The average Japanese executive makes about 10% of what a fatass GM or FORD executive makes.  Yup about 10%.  Why do you pay a employee of a money losing company so much money?  It doesnt make any sense.  These lardbutts have gutted our companies and really dont give a rats ass because they have the money.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:25:07 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Best response of the day.

vmax84
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:28:38 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Better?

Not a fan of airbags I take it?

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:30:07 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Better?

Not a fan of airbags I take it?

My car has them, 3 accidents, never went off
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:32:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Benz has had airbags since the late 80's.  I am just not fond of the Benzes after the accountants took the company over from the engineers.  Those were quality cars when the engineers ran the show, although I could be pursuaded to step into up to a '99 S-class (w140 series) because they were designed during the engineeer's control (pre '94).  But only if they could promise me that the A/C condenser problems had been fixed.  Its a common issue with those that they go out every 2-3 years...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top