Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2006 6:34:41 AM EDT
my kids computer crashed and it appears that my restore disk is bad there is a bunch of files that i can not find example:
urlmon.dll
version.dll
user32.dll
and about 20 more type of files

i think it is my restore disk that is bad.
is there anyway to get a legal copy of xp since i have the orginal serial number, without buying?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:36:31 AM EDT
[#1]
If memory serves you can use any windows XP disk to restore a computer, as long as you use the serial number for the computer you install on.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:39:43 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
If memory serves you can use any windows XP disk to restore a computer, as long as you use the serial number for the computer you install on.

don't know anyone that has the full version of xp,just restore disk to their computers.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:41:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Those sound like they may be hidden files.  When you're looking through that folder, go to the "view" menu at the top, and select "folder options".  Go to the "view" tab, then select "show hidden files and folders".

Edit:  If this restore disk is one that came from the manufacturer, then it's possible that all the important stuff is zipped into one big gob that you won't be able to do much with.  You'll have to run the restore program on the disk, and that will wipe the computer clean and reset it to the way it came out of the box.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:45:48 AM EDT
[#4]
This article describes how to contact Microsoft for help with the following issues:

• Replace lost, broken, damaged or defective Microsoft software disks.
• Purchase product upgrades.
• Replace broken or defective Microsoft hardware products.
• Check the status on support orders.
• Order downloadable service packs.
• Replace missing manuals.

support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;326246
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:46:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Any cool computer store would do it for you. I have done it at Compusa before.
They may charge you for time and a blank CD.
If not there are plenty of places online to get it.

Do a search for ftp sites
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:48:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:51:06 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
my kids computer crashed and it appears that my restore disk is bad there is a bunch of files that i can not find example:
urlmon.dll
version.dll
user32.dll

is there anyway to get a legal copy of xp since i have the orginal serial number, without buying?

Question
1. How old is the build (how long have you had this pc w/original xp image)?
2. Are you actually able to boot it up & log in?
3. Is this a mnfg. build? (xp image from Dell, HP, ect.)

If this is an old image (12 mos. or more), from Dell or the like and you can log into it, copy the critical data (files you don't want to lose) to another machine or if it will allow burn to CD/DVD. If it came with a restore disc from Dell (ect), try to reimage from scratch, reformating the hard drive. If you feel there's an issue with the restore disc, call and ask for another set.

If you are running 'Windows XP Home Edition', I recommend wiping it clean and installing a fresh copy of 'XP Proessional'. You may even be able to find a copy here on ARF... If ya know the right people to ask...

David
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:54:15 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Unfortunatley this is not the case. The serial # is imbedded into the disc. But there are copies of XP out there that you put in the serial # and don't have to register.

David
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:54:17 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Those sound like they may be hidden files.  When you're looking through that folder, go to the "view" menu at the top, and select "folder options".  Go to the "view" tab, then select "show hidden files and folders".

Edit:  If this restore disk is one that came from the manufacturer, then it's possible that all the important stuff is zipped into one big gob that you won't be able to do much with.  You'll have to run the restore program on the disk, and that will wipe the computer clean and reset it to the way it came out of the box.

the kids computer crashed last week and i am trying to install the restore disk these are some of the errors i get when it is trying to write files.

i used these disk for about 4 years now,came with the computer from dell.
it is way out of warranty.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:00:55 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
This article describes how to contact Microsoft for help with the following issues:

• Replace lost, broken, damaged or defective Microsoft software disks.
• Purchase product upgrades.
• Replace broken or defective Microsoft hardware products.
• Check the status on support orders.
• Order downloadable service packs.
• Replace missing manuals.

support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;326246

If the image is from a mfgr. such as Dell or Hp... MS will NOT assist. They will direct you to the mfgr... The XP images that the mfgr uses are custom built to their needs by them. So it will be supported only by the mfgr... MS is pretty anal about this issue.

David
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:01:59 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
urlmon.dll
version.dll
user32.dll

Question
1. How old is the build (how long have you had this pc w/original xp image)?4-5 years
2. Are you actually able to boot it up & log in?nope
3. Is this a mnfg. build? (xp image from Dell, HP, ect.)dell buld

If this is an old image (12 mos. or more), from Dell or the like and you can log into it, copy the critical data (files you don't want to lose) to another machine or if it will allow burn to CD/DVD. If it came with a restore disc from Dell (ect), try to reimage from scratch, reformating the hard drive. If you feel there's an issue with the restore disc, call and ask for another set.

If you are running 'Windows XP Home Edition', I recommend wiping it clean and installing a fresh copy of 'XP Proessional'. You may even be able to find a copy here on ARF... If ya know the right people to ask...

David

i can boot up too the first screen and get into the area to reformat and reinstall buy pressing f-12 then it statrs to read reformat disk and evenetually get the areas i metion earlier.

i might have to find the right person to ask.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:08:28 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

the kids computer crashed last week and i am trying to install the restore disk these are some of the errors i get when it is trying to write files.

i used these disk for about 4 years now,came with the computer from dell.
it is way out of warranty.

There are a # of things that could be going on... It could be bad restore discs. There could be bad sectors on the hard drive. You could also have a bad stick of memory. You need to wipe the drive clean (reformat). You need to delete the partition C from within the reformating option. Normally when you boot to an XP install CD, it allows you to delete any or all partitions, create partitions or format them. Like I said before... If you ask the right people, you can probably find a copy of XP on an FTP site somewhere... out there...

David
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:26:00 AM EDT
[#13]
i resetted my memory and reformated another way bye the option i got.
I picked a slower format than the quick option that was on list when reformating.
seems to work.

thanks diveriter,still doing what you suggested.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:56:52 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Why don't you just contact Dell? Give them the serial number off the computer and they'll usually replace the disk for a very small fee.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:11:42 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why don't you just contact Dell? Give them the serial number off the computer and they'll usually replace the disk for a very small fee.

ended up not being the disk .
the way they had me do the reformat from dell when i first got the computer,they had me to choose a fast reformat.i ended up trying another option when i reformatted and it went thru.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 3:53:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Some Dell systems also have a hidden partition or file for restoring your computer back to factory installation, without the need for the recovery discs... They still included the recovery discs though, in case you wanted to free up some space...

IIRC, my Dell at my former company, running Windows 98 and FAT16/FAT32, was setup this way-- in the root directory of the main drive (i.e. c:\) were a couple hidden .bat files. I believe one was called zztop.bat. I'm not sure if the newer systems with XP on them have this, as most recovery discs are on CD/DVD these days, instead of both...

To check for this, do the following, or use Explorer and set your view to see all hidden/system files:
Click Start-->Run
type CMD and press enter
at the command prompt, type C: and press enter to ensure you are on the main drive (usually C:)
type CD \ and press enter
type DIR /a and look for zztop.bat

Newer systems may have another hidden recovery tool/partition with a different name...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top