Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2006 6:12:09 AM EDT
Tell me your opinions on this. Some people i work with are buying 50 million Dinars and i'm thinking of getting in on it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:18:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I have some from when I was over there. I seriously doubt Iraq will become a major finincial player in the world anytime soon, so no banks will carry their money. Instability in the country will keep their money at a low value. All you will have is some expensive TP, as you are not likely to go to Iraq on vacation to spend your money. When I was over there in 04, the dinar/dollar value was 1460/1. There has been no change in value since then. I warn you not to invest in this, it's just a way to part a fool with it's money.

More info here
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:47:43 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have some from when I was over there. I seriously doubt Iraq will become a major finincial player in the world anytime soon, so no banks will carry their money. Instability in the country will keep their money at a low value. All you will have is some expensive TP, as you are not likely to go to Iraq on vacation to spend your money. When I was over there in 04, the dinar/dollar value was 1460/1. There has been no change in value since then. I warn you not to invest in this, it's just a way to part a fool with it's money.

More info here

+1 When I letf it was roughly the same 1400 to 1, I dont see it getting any better. My finantial advisor agrees with me. I only brought back $20 USD worth of dinar to give a way to friends and family
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:49:02 AM EDT
[#3]

Where would you purchase Dinars?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:50:30 AM EDT
[#4]
I bet there is at least one arfcommer who bought some and thinks that he is sitting on a future pot of gold.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:34:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I have bought about $1500 worth of the new Iraqi dinar.
Partly as an high risk, high return investment, mainly because I wanted the old dinar with Saddam's face on it and the place that I bought the old ones had the new ones too.

One point to consider.
If one bought Japanese yen as an investment, about 60 years ago when the WW2 ended, history shows that due to inflation and such, there was no point which one would have made a worthwhile profit.

But of course, there are many differences between Japan and Iraqi, and many variables, so the outcome might be totally different.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:38:55 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I bet there is at least one arfcommer who bought some and thinks that he is sitting on a future pot of gold.

+50,000,000.-
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:46:53 AM EDT
[#7]
If you have money to burn and are willing to take a long term risk, it could be a worthwhile investment.

I remember somebody from the iraqi oil  ministry saying Iraq actually has more oil than saudi arabia, they were not able to get it out of the ground before.

Situation stabilizes, oil production in creases, dinar goes up and up.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:09:36 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Ummm, Iraq?!
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:01:56 PM EDT
[#9]
It is a long term investment and i dont belive we are going to let Iraq fail, If it goes back to the pre war level of .40 cents you would still make a huge profit
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:06:53 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ummm, Iraq?!

Very funny. There has to be some exchanges in the US, knucklehead.

Not buying, but curious.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:08:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:09:30 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I had a small fortune selling dinars to AF pilots in Incirlik AFB during Op Provide Comfort. My unit had been tasked with helping Kurd refugees in N. Iraq after the war. I had a bunch of dinars I found on the Highway to Hell. A lot of Dinars.

I was selling them to AF pilots that felt they got left out of the souvenir hunt. I was selling any denomination for $20 US. Pilots came to our unit looking for me to buy some dinars.
Jeez I made a shit load of money off of them.

I bought 9 different denominations of the old Dinars for $3.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:14:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:52:41 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ummm, Iraq?!

Very funny. There has to be some exchanges in the US, knucklehead.

Not buying, but curious.

Google it, you will find a ton of places.
I don't think that I have found anybody in the US though.
Mostly they are in countries surrounding Iraqi.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:00:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top