Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2006 2:57:29 AM EDT
My '04 Ram is a little low on power steering fluid. Does Dodge use a special fluid or can I just run down to Napa or Advanced? My manual is awol.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:13:28 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
My '04 Ram is a little low on power steering fluid. Does Dodge use a special fluid or can I just run down to Napa or Advanced? My manual is awol.

" Do not use fluids or supplements that contain Teflon as they will cause a restriction at the filter in the power steering fluid reservoir, causing severe damage to the steering system. The power steering fluid used in Chrysler Group vehicles is an engineered product, the addition of ANY unapproved fluids or supplements can interfere with the proper function of the fluid and cause damage to the steering system. To ensure the performance and durability of Chrysler Group steering systems, use only Mopar Power Steering Fluid +4, ATF+4 Automatic Transmission Fluid, or equivalent (MS-9602), in the power steering system."

The big question is where is it going?  

Are you checking the level when hot?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:26:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, I got a very slight squeak when turning. After checking it our further I noticed the fluid is low. I did check it when hot. Now the million dollar question is do I have to get this stuff from the dealership?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:35:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Just pick up ATF + 3 or + 4, or Dexron at your local Auto Parts store.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:59:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Should be able to get ATF +4 automatic transmission fluid at most auto supply stores.

ETA: just goes to show what happens when you reply to a thread half an hour after opening it...
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:31:02 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Just pick up ATF + 3 or + 4, or Dexron at your local Auto Parts store.

I found my manual. It says +4. It isn't available after market yet. No way I am putting anything other than what the manual says in it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:56:03 AM EDT
[#6]
ATF+4 has now been licensed to be sold, I think by Valoline.  If you look on the back of a bottle, if it is new stock, it will read atf+4 compatable and I think Mobil 1 synthetic bottles state it meets the requirements.  Personally, I wouldn't use it as ATF+4 is a full synthetic fuild.  With that said, I just stop by the dealship and pick up what I need.  Its about the same price and your certain to get the proper fluid.  Remeber, never use anything else than atf+4 if the application calls for atf+4.  IIRC there is a Technical Service Bulletin that states ATF+4 is the only approved fuild and all others are not to be used.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:05:09 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

IIRC there is a Technical Service Bulletin that states ATF+4 is the only approved fuild and all others are not to be used.

That's what I cut and pasted, the TSB.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:44:46 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I found my manual. It says +4. It isn't available after market yet. No way I am putting anything other than what the manual says in it.

Does it really need+4, or does it just say that because +4 is what is also used in current Dodge automatic transmissions?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:52:43 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

If it's only an 04, why aren't you taking it in to get it fixed under warranty?  Or have you already hit 36K miles?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:18:27 AM EDT
[#10]
It has over 36k, not much, but it is over. I am going to the dealership tomarrow. If I could do it today and have to spend is a few bucks I'd do it today.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:24:27 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does it really need+4, or does it just say that because +4 is what is also used in current Dodge automatic transmissions?

It really needs +4. my friend is a tranny shop guy and he has seen so many dodge trannys trashed because the owners and shops were too cheap to use +4
I'm not sure how critical it is in the steering pump
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:33:42 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

It really needs +4. my friend is a tranny shop guy and he has seen so many dodge trannys trashed because the owners and shops were too cheap to use +4

Wasn't asking about the tranny...
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:39:13 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wasn't asking about the tranny...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top