Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2006 8:30:56 PM EDT
Can someone, say me, for instance get a C&R license, collect a shit pile load of weapons over the years then let the license expire and sell the weapons?

Do C&R licenses expire? I'm assuming they have to be renewed yearly. Not having the license anymore would mean you would not have to abide by the restrictions of said license.

What do ya think?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:42:17 PM EDT
[#1]

renew every 3 years buy what you want sell what you want
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:48:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Its my understanding that C&R is for buying not for selling. Its not an FFL.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:52:43 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Its my understanding that C&R is for buying not for selling. Its not an FFL.

It is an FFL - but a Type 03 FFL, which does not allow you to engage in business.

If you are selling a lot of the firearms that you purchased and logged on your C&R FFL, the ATF might crawl up your ass.  However, you could certainly buy three or four of the same rifle, and then sell of a couple of the ugly ones, or something like that.  I think there might be a certain number of sales per year that the ATF might be worried about.  (But they really don't inspect a whole lot of C&R license bound books as far as I have heard).

However, if you allow the license to lapse, I imagine you could sell of your "collection" but am not 100% sure.  After all, perhaps you bought 100s of different variations of Enfield rifles for 3 years, and then got married and your liberal wife told you to sell them all to make room for her benie babies  I guess nothing woudl be wrong with that.

But, I wonder if the ATF might still care if you bought 300 identical Mosin-Nagant 91 rifles, and then started selling them in Shotgun News the day after your license expired?  It would certainly appear to violate the spirit of the law, but I'm not sure it violates the letter.

Interesting question.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:25:22 PM EDT
[#4]
pretty much covers it
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:28:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If you are selling a lot of the firearms that you purchased and logged on your C&R FFL, the ATF might crawl up your ass.  However, you could certainly buy three or four of the same rifle, and then sell of a couple of the ugly ones, or something like that.  I think there might be a certain number of sales per year that the ATF might be worried about.  (But they really don't inspect a whole lot of C&R license bound books as far as I have heard).

This is pretty much what I was told at a gun show by a reputable C&R collector a few years back.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:40:20 PM EDT
[#6]
once the license expires, the guns are yours to deal with as you want...it's not like a corporation as if the license held the guns...you did...
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:44:07 PM EDT
[#7]
All good responses...thank you.

Now, do you think that all these 91/30s, M44s and Enfields will be selling for a lot more in 10 to 15 years?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:59:42 PM EDT
[#8]
You can sell any of the guns you buy, it is just a case of whether or not you are blatantly trying to make a profit.  You are allowed to sell your guns to "furthur your collection."

For the sake of the $30 it is in your best interest to renew it, especially when you consider the discounts available because of it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top