Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2006 6:35:49 PM EDT
I'd like to know what the drills are for the new two day basic shooting skills marksmanship qualification.

Can any of you help me out? Please!

I am really curious what the new CQB drills are.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:38:25 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I'd like to know what the drills are for the new two day basic shooting skills marksmanship qualification.

Can any of you help me out? Please!

I am really curious what the new CQB drills are.

Nope, I have been to the range once in my time, boot camp. Been off doing something the rest.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:51:47 PM EDT
[#2]
This is what I am asking about...

Ready, aim, fire
New marksmanship training sets sights on combat readiness
Cpl. Jennifer L. Brown

CAMP FOSTER (Sep 23, 2005) -- Marines scheduled for the rifle range will see big changes to the marksmanship training program beginning Oct. 1.

Fiscal year 2006 will be used as a test model to improve the marksmanship training program, according to Chief Warrant Officer 2 Martin W. Dankanich, officer in charge of the Camp Hansen Known Distance course.

Shooters will now fire the Known Distance course the Corps uses in recruit training. However, the three phases of marksmanship training have been modified into what are now called four tables.

Table I is basic rifle qualification, Table II is basic combat marksmanship, Table III is intermediate combat marksmanship and Table IV is advanced combat marksmanship.

During Table I, Monday and Tuesday will be preparatory days, and Wednesday will be qualification day, with no exceptions for qualifying early.

"Although we have taken a day away from qualification, we have compensated by adding additional rounds," Dankanich said. "Shooters will receive five extra rounds at the 200-yard, slow fire and can use them in whichever positions they choose."

Shooters will fire 90 rounds during tri-fire Monday, 80 rounds Tuesday and 50 rounds Wednesday.

Scoring will also be converted from a 0-65 point method to a system in which shooters can score a maximum 250 points.

"Originally, there was to be a conversion chart since (the two recruit depots) and The Basic School at Quantico were the only duty stations using the three-digit system," Dankanich said. "Now the Marine Corps has enabled the rest of the Marine Corps to use the three-digit scoring system."

Shooters must score 190-209 to qualify as a marksman, between 210-219 for sharp shooter, and 220-250 for expert.

Thursday is an introduction to Table II, basic combat marksmanship. There will be a three-hour period of instruction consisting of classroom time and dry fire, and shooters will practice basic combat marksmanship.

Table II consists of shooting multiple targets with limited exposure from a 25-yard distance, vice 300 yards, with a much faster firing time limit. Shooters will go through the stages of fire and walk down the 25-yard range with a condition one weapons and score their own targets, he added.

"Safety must be on (the shooters') minds at all times," Dankanich said. "We are training them to think and be aware because that is exactly what we would ask them to do if we sent them to Iraq."

With the new basic combat marksmanship training, how well the shooters perform will affect their overall score. If a shooter fails Table II, his score will fall to the minimum marksmanship level.

"During the old field fire phase, Marines got nothing out of it but dirty weapons," Dankanich said. "With basic combat marksmanship, if a shooter does well, there is no increase in his score, but shooters must pass in order to keep their score."

Tables III and IV are exercised as required by individual units, Dankanich explained.

"We have implemented Tables III and IV into the marksmanship training package, but it will only be required for specific units," Dankanich said.

Table III includes gas masks and unknown distance night fire, and Table IV is used to enhance the professional marksmanship training program.

With the new range requirements and transitions, Marines will now have to think about their skill level and decide with the coaches how to increase their proficiency, Dankanich said.

"Marines are smart," he stated, "It's about time we've given them the opportunity to think for themselves in rifle training."

In addition to the changes in the Known Distance course, improvements have also been made in the sitting, kneeling and standing positions to help increase the shooters' proficiency and give them greater flexibility.

"We are trying to get away from concentrating on score," Dankanich said. "Our focus now is more on proficiency. While in a shooting position, a Marine can modify to compensate for his own handicap. The individual's positioning will be determined between the shooter and the coach."

Shooters will be allowed to place their forward hand on the slip ring and use their choice of slings, as well as shoot with any rifle in the M16 or M4 families.

I think the changes are good," said Sgt. Jerome W. McCray, an assistant commanding general's driver with Marine Wing Headquarters Squadron-1, 1st Marine Aircraft Wing. "I'm looking forward to finding positions that will help me shoot better."

"We now have a program that can be tailored to Marines' basic needs," Dankanich said. "The Marines are going to enjoy it and look forward to doing it again and again."

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:51:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Well the new (KD) had just started and only a few have shot it. The CQB work more on body shoots than the old school 2 to the body and 1 to the head. and the hole thing is longer than 2 days you shoot the KD then the field fire then the CQB and its a ton of round going down range...
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:54:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Try to google a copye of the marine corps times it bracks it down shotgun style.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:59:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Table 2 - Training
Yard Line Drill Position Iterations Rounds Rounds per iteration Time

Stage 1 Presentation
       25 Single Shot               Standing  2       2   1 3
25 Controlled Pair              Standing 2      4   2  5
25 Hammer Pair             Standing 2     4  2  3
25 Reassessment (RA)       Standing  2 6  3  5

Stage 2 Position Change
       25 1X1            Standing to kneeling 2 4 2 5
25 2X2 (CP) Standing to kneeling 2 8 4 5
25 2X2 (HP) Standing to kneeling 2 8 4 4
25 2X1 (RA) Standing to kneeling 2 6 3 4

Stage 3 Multiple Position Change
       25 1X1 Multiple Target Standing               2 4 2 5
25 Multiple Target (CP) Standing to kneeling 2 8 4 6
25 Multiple Target (HP) Standing to kneeling 2 8 4 7
25 Multiple Target (RA) Standing to kneeling 2 10 5 8

Table 2 - Qual Yard Line Drill Position Iterations Rounds Rounds per iteration Time

Stage 1 Presentation
       25 Single Shot Standing 2 2 1 3
25 Controlled Pair Standing 2 4 2 5
25 Hammer Pair Standing 2 4 2 3
25 Reassessment Standing 2 6 3 5

Stage 2 Position Change
       25 1X1 Standing to kneeling 2 4 2 5

25 1X1 Multiple Target Standing 2 4 2 5
25 Multiple Target (CP) Standing to kneeling 2 8 4 7
25 Multiple Target (HP) Standing to kneeling 2 8 4 6

Stage 4 Movers
       100 Movers Right Standing to kneeling 2 4 2 15
100 Movers Left Standing to kneeling 2 4 2 15

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:00:11 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Try to google a copye of the marine corps times it bracks it down shotgun style.

Do you have a link. I am in the Marine Corps Times and can't find it anywhere.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:02:13 PM EDT
[#7]
They started shooting the new POI in Oct, to include table 2. However, table 2 will not be scored till this summer.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:03:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Table 2 - Training
Yard Line Drill Position Iterations Rounds Rounds per iteration Time

Stage 1 Presentation
       25 Single Shot               Standing  2       2   1 3
25 Controlled Pair              Standing 2      4   2  5
25 Hammer Pair             Standing 2     4  2  3
25 Reassessment (RA)       Standing  2 6  3  5

Stage 2 Position Change
       25 1X1            Standing to kneeling 2 4 2 5

25 1X1 Multiple Target Standing               2 4 2 5
25 Multiple Target (CP) Standing to kneeling 2 8 4 6
25 Multiple Target (HP) Standing to kneeling 2 8 4 7

Table 2 - Qual Yard Line Drill Position Iterations Rounds Rounds per iteration Time

Stage 1 Presentation
       25 Single Shot Standing 2 2 1 3
25 Controlled Pair Standing 2 4 2 5
25 Hammer Pair Standing 2 4 2 3
25 Reassessment Standing 2 6 3 5

Stage 2 Position Change
       25 1X1 Standing to kneeling 2 4 2 5

25 1X1 Multiple Target Standing 2 4 2 5
25 Multiple Target (CP) Standing to kneeling 2 8 4 7
25 Multiple Target (HP) Standing to kneeling 2 8 4 6

Stage 4 Movers
       100 Movers Right Standing to kneeling 2 4 2 15
100 Movers Left Standing to kneeling 2 4 2 15

Thank you!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:05:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Well the new (KD) had just started and only a few have shot it. The CQB work more on body shoots than the old school 2 to the body and 1 to the head. and the hole thing is longer than 2 days you shoot the KD then the field fire then the CQB and its a ton of round going down range...

Sounds like what we used to do on Friday after qual. And we also shot in our gas masks.

Nice to see them go back to the old score system though....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top